Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narrowbody flights to China?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by timma1971
There are basically two very different USA Fist Class products available (the main concept is pretty much the same from airliner to airliner):

The standard First is based on recliner seats, similar you can find onboard Aeroflot and Turkish business class these days. I would describe that more like premium economy, definitely not First. This product is available on most narrow body jets (A320/737/CRJ). If you have international connection on business class, your domestic sector is in most cases in standard First (ie. "business class")

The second option is so called Transcon First, which is available on selected routes from east to west coast v.v. (NYC/SFO/LAX). My experience on this is based on a dozen AA flights between SFO and JFK, both First and Business. This product on AA A321T includes proper First class (1x1) and Business class (2x2) lie-flat seats, also MCE and MC (3x3). There are lots of videos and photos available. There are similar narrow body products on other US airliners as well.

IF AY plans to use narrow bodies on longer routes and want to offer a proper business class product, I see no other options than the AA style business class seating ie. 2x2 config (no free middle seats).
How is the single-aisle experience on these 321T aircrafts? Gets annoyingly busy in terms of toilet traffic, FAs running around etc?
No mid-galley so I suppose it must be disturbing.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by skiaplg

if AY were to go for the xlr and were to offer proper business class seating, they could do the same as JetBlue Mint or TAP A321LR have done which is superior as it offers some throne seats for single travellers.
I've read a couple of reviews about Mint, and that's what I had in mind, too. The seats are essentially the same as on AY A330. Maybe AY could even save money by installing these old seats, after some refreshing, on the A321XLR while refurbishing the A330 cabins.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFlash

How is the single-aisle experience on these 321T aircrafts? Gets annoyingly busy in terms of toilet traffic, FAs running around etc?
I got to choose a lie-flat business seat on a Y ticket on a BOS-JFK flight once, the seat itself is very comfortable, first is even nicer. I mean QR flies A320s with lie flat seats to HEL and those are always ok, the cabin on AA planes is even less dense since F is 1-1 seating..
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Well, better than a regular 321, such as what AY currently flies. Since they are specifically configured for premium routes for AA, they are quite low density. F is 1-1, J is 2-2, and they throw in some MCE (extra leg room) rest is Y.

I have made my comments on the possible configuration of the AA 321XLR in their forum. I think that to be competitive, they will offer 12-16 lie flat 1-1 F/J seats, 8 PE seats, 12-16 MCE and rest regular Y. Mind you these planes will be able to fly routes of 10+ hours. They are also considered a direct replacement of the old 757 single aisle, with further range and way lower fuel burn.

If AY were to go choose this plane for thin routes, I suspect they will offer a proper lie flat seat configuration for J, probably throw in some PE as they have announced it as a future option on other planes. Otherwise they will not be competitive for connecting business flyers using the benefits of HEL to Asia routes.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
I got to choose a lie-flat business seat on a Y ticket on a BOS-JFK flight once, the seat itself is very comfortable, first is even nicer. I mean QR flies A320s with lie flat seats to HEL and those are always ok, the cabin on AA planes is even less dense since F is 1-1 seating..
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Well, better than a regular 321, such as what AY currently flies. Since they are specifically configured for premium routes for AA, they are quite low density. F is 1-1, J is 2-2, and they throw in some MCE (extra leg room) rest is Y.

I have made my comments on the possible configuration of the AA 321XLR in their forum. I think that to be competitive, they will offer 12-16 lie flat 1-1 F/J seats, 8 PE seats, 12-16 MCE and rest regular Y. Mind you these planes will be able to fly routes of 10+ hours. They are also considered a direct replacement of the old 757 single aisle, with further range and way lower fuel burn.

If AY were to go choose this plane for thin routes, I suspect they will offer a proper lie flat seat configuration for J, probably throw in some PE as they have announced it as a future option on other planes. Otherwise they will not be competitive for connecting business flyers using the benefits of HEL to Asia routes.
Thanks for the answers but they all lose my point.
Lets put my question in another way
Assuming that the service and seat is the same on a widebody plane and a 321LXR, would the mere difference of single-aisle on A321 vs double-aisle(&mid-galleys) on widebodies make you choose away from 321 metal, if you had a choice of aircraft and you hate too heavy aisle traffic (needing to give way to other pax and moving FAs) during inflight?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:24 pm

Assuming that the service and seat is the same on a widebody plane and a 321LXR, would the mere difference of single-aisle on A321 vs double-aisle(&mid-galleys) on widebodies make you choose away from 321 metal, if you had a choice of aircraft and you hate too heavy aisle traffic (needing to give way to other pax and moving FAs) during inflight?
Totally prefer a wide body, but I guess my point is, it's not going to be as bad as a 3-3 config down the whole aircraft. I've flown the 321T Transcon a few times in J, and my only complaint is not being able get up an walk around a little bit, or stretch out around the galleys when I'm not interrupting service.

On the AA 321T, service for F and J is done from the front and center galleys, the Y service from a rear galley so this minimizes long periods of trolleys in the aisles. Rest rooms are also available front, center and the rear of the plane. Like I said, it mitigates some issues, but give me A380, A350, A330, B777, or a B787 any day!

From Seatguru.com:

mpkz likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

If seatmaps are to be trusted, these are just 102 seats in total, of which only 36 seats in real Y.
Just like you say, AA has them configured for premium routes. They are an airline of size and can afford to subdivide their fleet and have planes optimised for such use.

For AY, they are not catering to a premium market in general and their thin routes I imagine are not premium at all. So as much as I'd love to see anything remotely like the AA config, I don't think AY has any use for it.

Also, Finnair is such a small airline, so I think they wouldn't get a sub-fleet of planes that only works in fringe operations. They would get a plane that can work both longhaul and shorthaul and thus have a medium haul J cabin and a rather large Y cabin.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
If seatmaps are to be trusted, these are just 102 seats in total, of which only 36 seats in real Y.
Just like you say, AA has them configured for premium routes. They are an airline of size and can afford to subdevide their fleet and have planes optimised for such use.

For AY, they are not catering to a premium market in general and their thin routes I imagine are not premium at all. So as much as I'd love to see anything remotely like the AA config, I don't think AY has any use for it.

Also, Finnair is such a small airline, so I think they wouldn't get a sub-fleet of planes that only works in fringe operations. They would get a plane that can work both longhaul and shorthaul and thus have a medium haul J cabin and a rather large Y cabin.
Oh, I'm not suggesting anything remotely like the transcon 321T for AY, nor for AA that matter when it comes to the XLR variety. The 321T is a special aircraft for the premium routes. If you read my earlier post, that is what I'm suggesting AA might go with for the XLR. And I have flown the A350 several times from HEL to LHR, so use on SH routes obviously can be done with a plane configured primarily for LH.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

Totally prefer a wide body, but I guess my point is, it's not going to be as bad as a 3-3 config down the whole aircraft. I've flown the 321T Transcon a few times in J, and my only complaint is not being able get up an walk around a little bit, or stretch out around the galleys when I'm not interrupting service.

On the AA 321T, service for F and J is done from the front and center galleys, the Y service from a rear galley so this minimizes long periods of trolleys in the aisles. Rest rooms are also available front, center and the rear of the plane. Like I said, it mitigates some issues, but give me A380, A350, A330, B777, or a B787 any day!

From Seatguru.com:

Thanks a lot! This is good answer

Then, sounds not to hope for too much re AY possible version of bird if ever launched
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Not really. I'd prefer a nonstop flight, definitely. If it were a destination with several nonstops, I'd end up choosing the flight that has a better schedule or a lower price.

If both flights, narrowbody and widebody, were sold at the same price and the schedules were equally good, then I'd choose the widebody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.