Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by Some person
AY fare rules (RVA2SE fare):According to Great Circle Mapper, ARN-KUO is 402 miles whereas ARN-AMS is 718 miles. This is probably the problem. It's possible to book, say, GOT-HEL-KUO-HEL-AMS because GOT-KUO is greater than GOT-AMS. For ARN-HEL-KUO-HEL-AMS, you probably have to book one-way tickets.
I think that does not make sense at all. Why would they set such rule?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Noticed a reference saying that points cannot be transferred to a finnair plus junior account. Given that there's no difference now in award redemptions for juniors, does this rule still hold?

Is there also a certain round number e.g. in 1000 or 5000 etc that is required when transferring points to someone else?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by EuroFlash

They might want to make sure one specific fare is not used for a longer distance than they intended.

But I agree it is bonkers they don't publish fares for many simple routes.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
Otherwise, someone might make a booking with HEL-SVO as the outbound leg and HEL-LHR as the return leg, which maybe gives unwanted fare side effects which AY wants to avoid.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by mechu
Is there also a certain round number e.g. in 1000 or 5000 etc that is required when transferring points to someone else?
At least not in the Friends&Family program, there you can transfer an arbitrary amount.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Hi guys,

do you have experience with asking a status match via plus.special at finnair.com email address?
What would be the expected turnaround?

I asked about matching a while back through the form, and was directed to write to this address, but I haven't had any reply in over 2 weeks now. Does that mean I'm not even important enough to be denied, or is that still being processed?
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
AY does not statusmatch under any circumstance unless you were trying to match as an ex-AB elite when that promo was on or taking advantage of the targeted offer to SK EB elites in Sweden.
Originally Posted by Superrman
Just FYI, the SK EB status match offer was for residents of all three Scandinavian countries.

As it happens, I have been offered a challenge. First credited AY flight to bring me to Silver, and then 40k or 23seg (alliance-wide) to Gold.

Not too bad, although, a, it did not solve the problem for me (AY Silver / ow Ruby outright/on shown ticket would), and crucially b, the offer came about 7 weeks after initial query, which was after I actually got back from my trip...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
I was looking into changing the date of my SIN-HEL Value ticket (R booking class). Contacted CS and the change fee for all the 4 dates I asked for were always ~600-700€. That's almost the price of a new return ticket! I checked the availability through https://flightavailability.bcdtravel.com and there's always +9 availability on almost all booking classes, including the R I'm currently booked on. Also searching those dates on Finnair.com gives me pretty normal prices.

What's the logic in this? Is AY trying to screw me over? Sounds like false advertisement that a Value ticket would be changeable for a fee and the fare difference, if the fare difference is the price of a new ticket while there's plenty of availability in the buckets.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Unsub
I was looking into changing the date of my SIN-HEL Value ticket (R booking class). Contacted CS and the change fee for all the 4 dates I asked for were always ~600-700€. That's almost the price of a new return ticket! I checked the availability through https://flightavailability.bcdtravel.com and there's always +9 availability on almost all booking classes, including the R I'm currently booked on. Also searching those dates on Finnair.com gives me pretty normal prices.

What's the logic in this? Is AY trying to screw me over? Sounds like false advertisement that a Value ticket would be changeable for a fee and the fare difference, if the fare difference is the price of a new ticket while there's plenty of availability in the buckets.
I think we mentioned that at the last AY+ meeting.

To me it looks similar to what LH does: they keep different availability for new bookings and for changing existing bookings.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive

Based on a brief EF check, it seems there is no R Value fare for SIN-HEL. It means you can see campaign / saver R fares (R9 doesn't really specify the type), but since your ticket is issued as Value type, change would require to use the cheapest available Value fare. Moreover that, it appears to be so that R is available for return trips only. One-way itineraries don't even have that. Again - R9 presents availability on the flight, irrespective of your type of ticket and itinerary (as it obviously cannot predict your intention).
Of course, I may be proven wrong, but this is what EF shows.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by on22cz
Based on a brief EF check, it seems there is no R Value fare for SIN-HEL. It means you can see campaign / saver R fares (R9 doesn't really specify the type), but since your ticket is issued as Value type, change would require to use the cheapest available Value fare. Moreover that, it appears to be so that R is available for return trips only. One-way itineraries don't even have that. Again - R9 presents availability on the flight, irrespective of your type of ticket and itinerary (as it obviously cannot predict your intention).
Of course, I may be proven wrong, but this is what EF shows.
Thanks, makes a bit more sense. You're right that R can also be a saver/basic ticket. This is the return leg of a two-way Value ticket (RLVA2FI), kinda explaining your observations. The primary date I was looking at changing into was 11th April. I might ask them to give me dates where there's no fare difference, and if there's none, this is definitely ticks my boxes on misleading the customer.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:05 am

Thanks, makes a bit more sense. You're right that R can also be a saver/basic ticket. This is the return leg of a two-way Value ticket (RLVA2FI), kinda explaining your observations. The primary date I was looking at changing into was 11th April. I might ask them to give me dates where there's no fare difference, and if there's none, this is definitely ticks my boxes on misleading the customer.
I raised a bit of noise about this to CS and they came back to me addmitting that their "fare difference calulation tool" did not produce correct results then the first leg of the return ticket was upgraded to F. All the dates were changeable without any fare difference. Thanks for the inputs!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:51 am

I raised a bit of noise about this to CS and they came back to me addmitting that their "fare difference calulation tool" did not produce correct results then the first leg of the return ticket was upgraded to F. All the dates were changeable without any fare difference. Thanks for the inputs!
This has happened also to me couple times, first time in 2015 It seems that this happens when first leg is waitlisted, then upgraded and you want to change return leg later. At upgrade time fare is "recalculated" to current fare bucket but not payment is necessary unless return leg is changed. Nice to see that they fix IT problems at soon as possible ;p
intuition and Unsub like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Waitlisting for an award flight might cause the flight to clear at a very late time, not being it a very good choice anymore.
Can an award flight in that case be cancelled and points returned?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
There is a cut-off.
I have been told I can cancel an award and have points returned, but it seems this is not true if cancelling less than 24h before take-off. Atleast I was not given points back in such a case.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:29 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
But if it is still on waitlist inside T-24 I believe you can cancel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.