Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
Sir, what do u mean with the bolded one?😄 sure your breakfast was okay?😅😅

My logical goes like this:
If there are U seats on HAM-HEL and there are U seats on HEL-BKK but no seats on HAM-BKK that must mean they have made an informed decision to limit the access for longhaul awards so that members in the HAM area cannot easily enjoy the HEL-BKK availability.

If the same situation exists on all DE-cities, they prefer HEL-based members to access the seats over DE members.

To always consider with AY though is the old saying; "Don't attribute to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence"

Last edited by intuition; Nov 7, 2022 at 7:12 am
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: AY+
Experiences how many hours prior departure ex-HND bag drop opens / are there self-service dropping points used by AY / can JAL counter be used?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by intuition

My logical goes like this:
If there are U seats on HAM-HEL and there are U seats on HEL-BKK but no seats on HAM-BKK that must mean they have made an informed decision to limit the access for longhaul awards so that members in the HAM area cannot easily enjoy the HEL-BKK availability.

If the same situation exists on all DE-cities, they prefer HEL-based members to access the seats over DE members.

To always consider with AY though is the old saying; "Don't attribute to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence"
Nah😄 they absolutely NOT favor domestic customers.
Married segments like this are common already to me. Have several times encountered the same but been able to book xxx-hel-yyy by calling in and explaining both legs are available but not the package. Always they have had to go backroom for checks thou, and later coming back with a tix.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
Nah😄 they absolutely NOT favor domestic customers.
Married segments like this are common already to me. Have several times encountered the same but been able to book xxx-hel-yyy by calling in and explaining both legs are available but not the package. Always they have had to go backroom for checks thou, and later coming back with a tix.
Thanks, might as well give it a try.
​(my profile is outdated, I'm plat now and I wanted to use the WA plat line, cause I heard positive stuff from there.)
FFlash likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Compliment
​(my profile is outdated, I'm plat now and I wanted to use the WA plat line, cause I heard positive stuff from there.)
I would say WA is your best bet. Just a quick note saying that you are looking for HAM-HEL-BKK on dateXX and that you find availability on HAM-HEL and HEL-BKK but for some reason you cannot book it online. And hope for the best! Feed them the exact flights (flight number or departure time).
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Should work. If not first time, then HUACA style and pinpoint both legs available so it wouldnt make sense to deny. If not then, then add the ”play dumb” card and be polite but determined
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hi folks - newbie to Finnair and looking to book PE to Japan in January. MatrixITA is reporting 'T' class as PE, but AMEX Travel states its Economy. Which is it? Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by codinghands
MatrixITA is reporting 'T' class as PE, but AMEX Travel states its Economy. Which is it? Thanks!
T is PE.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: AY Plat
I'm looking for HEL - MEX flights and can't find the HEL - LAX - MEX (with long 15h layover in LAX) using the ay booking engine. This can be found using google flights and booked through AA.
Is there anything I should consider when booking this from AA vs the standard ay?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:31 am

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
Should work. If not first time, then HUACA style and pinpoint both legs available so it wouldnt make sense to deny. If not then, then add the ”play dumb” card and be polite but determined
It went FAR better than expected. They said they couldn't combine these legs because long haul is PE and short leg obviously has no PE.
Instead they made me an offer to book business all the way from HAM-BKK even tho there was no official availability. Couldn't be happier. I asked how that happened and he said it was because of plat status.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It went FAR better than expected. They said they couldn't combine these legs because long haul is PE and short leg obviously has no PE.
Instead they made me an offer to book business all the way from HAM-BKK even tho there was no official availability. Couldn't be happier. I asked how that happened and he said it was because of plat status.
That's how customer service should be for a Plat!
Old Nov 11, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by lauritus
I'm looking for HEL - MEX flights and can't find the HEL - LAX - MEX (with long 15h layover in LAX) using the ay booking engine. This can be found using google flights and booked through AA.
Is there anything I should consider when booking this from AA vs the standard ay?
AY booking engine is not the best. But you can always try the chat or call them. For example I just bought through the chat a HEL-Australia connection that I found on ITA Matrix but couldn't replicate on AY website. Took no more than 5 min.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
How far out for return?

We are using miles to travel to SEA-HEL this summer. We plan on buying revenue roundtrip tickets from Helsinki to the US. We'd like to use HEL-SEA in June 2023 and return SEA-HEL in 2024 but don't know exact dates of the return. If we buy flexible tickets, is there a limit to how far out we can change them?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 2:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
You won‘t be able to book further than 355 days out.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by florens
You won‘t be able to book further than 355 days out.

Understood, but if I purchase the tickets now, booking the return leg for November of 2023, can I later (in May 2023) change the return to May of 2024?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.