Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: LH,ITA,BA Silver,AY Gold
Redemption of Finnair points on AA

I may be thick but I read as a Gold I can redeem points on a one-way AA flight in the US. I can't see award space and the website says AY doesn't fly the route. (I know this). Trying to get help via Chat got me no where.
How have you booked inter US flights with points in the past?
TIA
Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
In my Finnair profile it reads"Platinum valid until Feb 2023"

That's a bug right? Cause I made plat in September this year, so it should actually be Feb 2024?! Feb 2023 would have been my gold status expiring. Weird.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Compliment
In my Finnair profile it reads"Platinum valid until Feb 2023"

That's a bug right? Cause I made plat in September this year, so it should actually be Feb 2024?! Feb 2023 would have been my gold status expiring. Weird.
it will be 2024, dont worry
Compliment likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I'll be flying to LPA soon. On my way out, it's a morning flight and I'll take my Makula sandwich on board, but the return is in the afternoon. I wonder if anyone here has tried the 20 EUR hot meals. Options are lasagna or chicken&rice. Seems very expensive for what effectively is a mini-size tv dinner and a Fazer chocolate bar. There's a kids' meal, too. 14 EUR for meatballs and mashed potatoes. Sounds better. Any opinions?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by ffay005
I'll be flying to LPA soon. On my way out, it's a morning flight and I'll take my Makula sandwich on board, but the return is in the afternoon. I wonder if anyone here has tried the 20 EUR hot meals. Options are lasagna or chicken&rice. Seems very expensive for what effectively is a mini-size tv dinner and a Fazer chocolate bar. There's a kids' meal, too. 14 EUR for meatballs and mashed potatoes. Sounds better. Any opinions?
Yes, I had the lasagna in October when coming back from LPA. I also thought the price was a bit steep, but the meal was decent and came with a mini bottle of wine (which I would have bought anyway probably), so in the end I was happy. It’s a long flight and will feel even longer without anything proper (hot) to eat…

My SO had chicken and rice, didn’t hear any complaints.
ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, BAEC bronze, Marriott Platinum
When is new business class seat expected to be rolled out in the entire fleet?
i just booked a flight from LAX (for Aug 2023) and seat map looks like it has the new seat (A350)
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Leon1980
When is new business class seat expected to be rolled out in the entire fleet?
i just booked a flight from LAX (for Aug 2023) and seat map looks like it has the new seat (A350)
I believe Finnair has not given any more detailed schedule than by the end of 2023.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by lkrt
I believe Finnair has not given any more detailed schedule than by the end of 2023.
And a lot has changed with Finnair (e.g. a new strategy that includes aircraft divestments) after that statement, so I don't have much confidence in the original schedule anymore.

The current speed of renewing the cabins is a bit under one month / aircraft. There are 4 A330's with the old cabin and 10 A350's, so in theory having them all refitted by the end of 2023 is feasible. However I'd guess aircraft planned to leave the Finnair fleet won't be refitted.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:07 am

I can't seem to figure out the fee for cancelling an Eco award flight. Of course you can click on "fee" but there is no number, only that it costs a fee. Am I stupid?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I would say cancellation fee for all awards is: All the paid taxes&fees OR 50€ - which ever is lowest.

And the presentation of fees and rules is really poor. You can't see it when you book, you need to dig very deep into the site. I think that if a consumer authority did a check on Finnair, they would fail miserably.
Helsinki Flyer and Compliment like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I would say cancellation fee for all awards is: All the paid taxes&fees OR 50€ - which ever is lowest.

And the presentation of fees and rules is really poor. You can't see it when you book, you need to dig very deep into the site. I think that if a consumer authority did a check on Finnair, they would fail miserably.
But the points don't get lost right? I was going to book an eco award from tokyo but wanted the flexibility to cancel if I'm lucky enough to snatch an business award on JAL a few days before departure.

Also, no way to book flights like Seoul - Tokyo with Finnair engine right?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Compliment
But the points don't get lost right?
Yes, if you cancel in time.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Originally Posted by Jorma
Noticed Alaskan has a fairly good booking system to check for awards also. Alaska also offers award F LHR-LAX/SFO on days when BAEC doesnt offer to own members.
Tried to book today on Whatsapp.. BAEC and Alaska showed award availability. Guess did AY see it?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I've been reading lots of 'should do' and 'probably' but cannot find anything definitive so hoping you guys can help.

I'm oneworld sapphire flying through Helsinki on Business Light. Do I get lounge access with status?

I'd be amazed if not as you can get access on a basic economy fare but Mrs Gaxxy will kill me if I book a flight without access.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I've been reading lots of 'should do' and 'probably' but cannot find anything definitive so hoping you guys can help.

I'm oneworld sapphire flying through Helsinki on Business Light. Do I get lounge access with status?

I'd be amazed if not as you can get access on a basic economy fare but Mrs Gaxxy will kill me if I book a flight without access.
Oneworld sapphire status gets you in to the lounges just like on any other fare. And guest access is normal as well 👌

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.