Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair User Experience sessions stuff [separated from Meeting with AY+ Loyalty]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: haa
=+=+=+=+=+= Members who announced interest in UX session +=+=+=+=+=+

skba1
OH-LGG
FFlash
Purjelentaja
ffay005
Cistavoda
Aviating
heatsink
theBro
intuition
lauriii
Jainzar
UpperDeck87K
NoWindowSeat
haa
Print Wikipost

Finnair User Experience sessions stuff [separated from Meeting with AY+ Loyalty]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
When this session is coming on air?

I'm so sick and tired of this BS:
Generic Error

Please note.
The action was interrupted. Please try again or contact Finnair Customer service. (15079 - 421)

As this BS:
Virhe

Tapahtuma keskeytyi. Sulje selain ja aloita alusta. (3002)
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Echoing LGG, I haaaaaaaate so much the new booking engine. There was nothing wrong in the previous compared to this one.

Nice to see the prices in big fonts though with wide open space. Guess it helps me as I am getting older. Woooo, they want elderly people on their planes or what. Suck.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
User interface and user interaction has become a fashion statement instead of a scientific discipline.
Check this out, airliners.net has been redesigned.

The information density is atrocious. They've decided that the user's name is so important that it deserves an extra line under the title, and then of course plenty of whitespace. While Flyertalk does some of that too, the volume of threads is much lower here and the list looks the same for weeks.

I don't post there, but I used to be able to quickly scan the entire page and within about 10-20 seconds pick out all the threads I wanted to read. That's impossible now.

"Less on screen = more user friendly" seems to be the new mantra everywhere. It slows me down like crazy, and frankly it's getting to the point where it's downright user hostile.

Last edited by heatsink; Jun 15, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If you think their desktop web is bad, wait until you surf there from an ipad. This is adative web design at its worst; "Make sure the interface is misarebly unusable regardless of screen estate.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:11 am
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
I'm interested as well in participating in this (sorry, no wiki edit rights yet).

I work with public safety apps (think fire, ambulance, etc) where usability and clarity of information design to avoid errors is really important. A lot of the same principles could and should be applied to consumer and business apps and web sites.

From the FT viewpoint, my usual way to book flights is first to research many different options, schedules and routings using the most flexible tools (matrix, etc.) and then try to convince our tarvel agent or an airline web site or online travel agency to sell me the ticket I need to optimize the business trip schedule and pricing. I also pay for the expertflyer.com service to get access to some extra information.

My guess for some of the limitations discussed here may well be intentional, i.e. trying to direct people towards certain choices and away from others, to optimize some complicated overall yield management and joint venture/codeshare profits.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
When this session is coming on air?

I'm so sick and tired of this BS:
I cannot reiterate this enough...

My last booking of ARN-HEL-MUC rtn could not be booked on the website without errors. I tried in every possible way! The flights I needed would only show up if I used multi-city on every single leg listed - and once I chose the correct flights it all crashed repeatedly.

Ended up having to use my TA to be able to make a booking. Lucky for Finnair that the whole point of the booking was being on very specific flights as I am doing a back-to-back for a sale fare out of MUC. Else there is no way I would have booked Finnair with all of these problems.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by haa

My guess for some of the limitations discussed here may well be intentional, i.e. trying to direct people towards certain choices and away from others, to optimize some complicated overall yield management and joint venture/codeshare profits.
Interesting point, and may well be the case for certain things automatically showing up in 'normal' search mode. However, for the multi-city function it really should just work as any user using it is likely to know what they are doing and looking for.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Again. So annoyed to be asked not to use "back" button which I never used...

And then the check-in did not even accept my spelling to print boarding passes.

What else? I have lost track of all bugs...
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:59 am

So, where is now +/-3 days -chart when searching one-way fares?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:31 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I noticed that too!
Extremely annoying when looking for awards, since there are so few seats. without flexible search it takes forever to find one. The workaround is to search for returns (which still has +/-3) and once found go back and re-make the search for one-way.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:41 am

Buying a ticket should be easy and smooth. AY is making that difficult just like they don't want to sell those tickets.

Strange model to make business....I really don't understand.... *shaking head*
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:33 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Insisting on the all-or-nothing business model is one thing. Raising hurdles to keep willing customers away from purchasing your product is another.

Some companies spends millions on marketing, when all it takes to increase sales is to remove the obstacles.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Looks like they are busy working on "enhancements" for the website. The new page showing "all" your bookings now only shows me three of my upcoming flights, while I have (had?) 6 bookings yesterday.

Also, when selecting the first upcoming flight from next week to see details, all I end up with is a white, completely empty page, where the browser's tab is called "Responsive deeplink". I wouldn't necessarily call it responsive
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:09 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Indeed. The page has been "ipadified", with huge icons and more white space.

I have 4 bookings, now reduced to 3.

Also, they did "enhance" the handling of webpages. If you click into one of the bookings and then try to return to "All your bookings" (by clicking on your account name) you now get an HTTP 404.
Previously the "only" thing that happened was it screwed up the session state, meaning that you still could browse the site but not access your account anymore.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:13 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Also, when selecting the first upcoming flight from next week to see details, all I end up with is a white, completely empty page, where the browser's tab is called "Responsive deeplink". I wouldn't necessarily call it responsive
LOL

I managed to get a blank page, where the only thing rendered was supposed to be invisible.

NOw, is this really BACKGROUND ?!
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.