Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:00 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So we've covered AY 70, 82 and 22 between us today? Any more FT longhaulers today?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:17 pm

AY74 for me o/
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
So we've covered AY 70, 82 and 22 between us today? Any more FT longhaulers today?
AY89 for me (still counts, as was still in the air Sunday Finnish time )
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ffay005
When I first came across the Vesterås spelling in AY communication shortly after the route was opened, my first thought was "Can't they even spell". But I also checked and yes, much like Göötepori is an accepted form of Gothenburg in Finnish, Vesterås is an accepted spelling of Västerås, in Finnish.
And the Germans call it Gotenburg. We have a SE/FI keyboard for our desktop at home for obvious reasons (the SheEO is finnish) and I'm frustrated why the Nordics never use 'ü' and hence it doesn't occur on the keyboard (along with ß, but that one I rarely need). Since we live in MUC, which even the Swedes and Finns call 'München', it puzzles me why they omitted such a critical key.

Ps: Yes, I know about Alt+0252 for ü and Alt+0223 for ß.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:38 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, we think of ¨ as a diacritic. You can add it to what ever character you like. ü or ï or ë or ...

Just be happy we don't write it Mynchen
Attached Images  
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Alt+0252? Sure, but it's easier to press ¨ and then u (not at the same time)...

Edit: Damnit, intuition, you're too fast
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Spamming this thread with one more pure höpö-höpö post (too lazy to make a trip report). I thought some of you might like this one. Everest is the 2nd from the left. There is a helipad in Namche Bazaar where we were picked up.
Attached Images   
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
AY89 for me (still counts, as was still in the air Sunday Finnish time )
96 here. Missed you by minutes, I guess!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
@CeruleanBlue - I'm just so yellow with envy!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:21 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Nah, she didn't earn any points on that Heli ride...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Never been that close to the Everest, but always amazed how it (mostly) looks smaller than the surrounding mountains.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:37 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Some finnair höpö: As part of preparing cabin for takeoff the call is made
"Cabin crew, arm doors and cross-check"

However, there are only one cabin crew member for each pair of doors, ie the same crew member is arming door 2L and then 2R. This single person obviously can't cross-check her own actions so this part of the command just isn't performed.

Why do they call out "cross-check" when it can't be performed? Is it due to regulations and if so, why do you need to call it but not need to perform it?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
Originally Posted by intuition
I was on AY51.. although sold as CA5212 so no OW benefits =(
-
DJ
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:19 am

The Finnish Broadcasting Company has a story on the Silicon Valley people coming to Helsinki for Slush. The word "dollarijumbo" in the headline is quite höpö-höpö, at least the jumbo part!

Last edited by jmmi; Nov 29, 2016 at 8:20 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by cistavoda
I'm gonna start using Göötepori. It sounds so ridiculous!
On the other, I find it irritating that not everyone writes (in Finnish) Kiiruna, Luulaja, Piitime (Piteå), Uumaja. Even Finnair has used Luleå and Umeå. I'm oldfashioned and still write Upsala even though the current recomendation prefers the Swedish form using two p's although the region is still called Uplanti. Like Öölanti, Gotlanti, Värmlanti, Norlanti. Unfortunately, Skoone and Smoolanti are becoming rarer. I think these examples just show our past joint history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.