Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Expertflyer. I find it OK, but not really worth the money. The award search is too limited (too few airlines included and you can only search on one specific airline at the time).
I use seat alert feature to detect when airline has bumped me out of seat (by setting a seat alert on my chosen seat). Works well for detecting when "curtain is moved" and you have chosen the first row on Y.

Fare/Availability searches are only US or UK POS which is not very useful.

The timetable search is OK and shows planned equipment.

The MCT search is also something I use often and that is good to have.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition

When non-schengen departures were one of the 4 gates in the sassily named hall "Avenue" and schengen flights took off from "Boulevard"?
It was 5 non-schengen gates. Stand 29 was 30A when boarding from non -Schengen.

And in 2006 (summer) AY had 8 widebodies, and 5 departures in the afternoon wave. Plus those wave destinations ( KIX, NGO, HKG, PVG, CAN, PEK and NRT) weren't daily services. For example NRT was 2 per week.

Last edited by OH-LGG; Aug 25, 2016 at 2:22 pm Reason: HKG added
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:26 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
It was 5 non-schengen gates. Stand 29 was 30A when boarding from non -Schengen.

And in 2006 (summer) AY had 8 widebodies, and 5 departures in the afternoon wave. Plus those wave destinations ( KIX, NGO, HKG, PVG, CAN, PEK and NRT) weren't daily services. For example NRT was 2 per week.
Enough memory lane stuff, makes me really miss the great M11s, recliners, great service chefs...everything else than today's plastic dormitory what they call best J in Europe..
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
BTW, we should know/remember that Finnair was the first Intercontinental operator from NYO.

In 2005 Boston summer leisure route was HEL-NYO-BOS and BOS-NYO-HEL with Boeing 757.

And I remember that HEL-NYO/NYO-HEL was not available, I tried that.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Oh yes, someone had a brilliant idea to pick up passengers from NYO. There was not enough demand from HEL at that time to make a direct route lucrative. Did not last long eventually, 2 summers if I remember correctly and the routing was not that tempting to passengers. 10+ hours in a cramped 757.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:08 pm

Now that we're on memory lane... The one time I tried (June 2006) to fly HEL-(NYO-)BOS the flight was cancelled. The demand was indeed quite low so they could fit all BOS-bound passengers on the flight to YYZ. They promised to get us to BOS the very same evening but of course we spent ~40 hours there, including two nights in the Sheraton.

Now that I think of it, EC261 was in effect but I guess we weren't aware of it and no one told us about it. Well, at least we got the hotel nights, meals, great memories and came up with jokes we still use today.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Expertflyer. I find it OK, but not really worth the money. The award search is too limited (too few airlines included and you can only search on one specific airline at the time).
I use seat alert feature to detect when airline has bumped me out of seat (by setting a seat alert on my chosen seat). Works well for detecting when "curtain is moved" and you have chosen the first row on Y.

I find a great deal of use from Expertflyer, though it may not always be absolutely necessary.

A primary example would be the award notifications, which I use especially on BA. I booked a F redemption to New York using a space release reward, or 'joker', which you get 2 of as a GGL. Then I set an alert on EF for those dates. Two days later, I get an email alert for both flights, call to have the the upgrade processed and get my joker back. Definitely value there.

The seat alerts are useful as well, many times I have managed to get my preferred seats when they have been vacated. Flight availability is also useful, especially when booking close to the date of travel.

I also track the seat maps on AY + BA to see whether to expect seat blocking etc.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:11 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
In this context one should be aware that expertflyer does not show Finnair businessclass awards.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
In this context one should be aware that expertflyer does not show Finnair businessclass awards.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They could of course make the current tool support automatic waitlisting, like ANA does (below).
However, I think there are too many manual steps for that to easily be implemented. The waitlist-and-later-clear procedure includes some ping-pong between CS and revenue management done through internal messaging.
Nix ping-pong. Its waitlisted and the next revenue calculation takes care of it. At most the plat agent will send it to a queue processing bot.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:12 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

OK, if so there is no reason AY couldn't implement upgrade requests with automatic waitlisting on the website

Other than lack of will / skill of course.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SQ offers to WL awards on their website, so there is a way to do it with Altea. LH does it with their *A upgrade tool too. You can waitlist your upgrade with evouchers or miles. UA uses the same platform to upgrade and WL upgrades using GPUs on LH operated flights.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Successfully blew my u/g vouchers on HEL-BKK-HEL. Not bad on a sub-600€ fare without any positioning, etc. In Y the advantage would've been a few tenners, not worth the effort - especially as the tix are for the missus. "Blow a whole day and fly 5 hours to save 40€" wouldn't have stood much chances of being approved.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:14 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

There is supposed to be a true VIP lounge at HEL, used for state visits and such. Anyone been to it or knows where it is located?
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Talking about VIP terminal?
Originally Posted by SPBanker
You mean a lounge at the Business Flight Center? ...
http://www.finavia.fi/en/helsinki-ai...iness-flights/
I felt the need to revisit this again, since I spotted a facility named VIP in the main buildning. It seems to be a part of the 'Airport Congress' located upstarirs north of the recently renamed priority security.
Still not very presidential.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AY+ Silver
Talking about another "Finnair" fail.

Bought it today from Vantaa Finnish Aviation Museum.
All A350 can fly with one engine, but Finns upped the ante - 1 wing is enough plus very thoughtful of them to keep spare one in hangar.
intuition likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.