Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
I bought this handy luggage scale from Clas Ohlson. With this I can hopefully avoid the outrageous gate check fee imposed in the future.

Luggage scale for less than 10€.

Remove before Finnair flight
nordic, intuition and FFlash like this.
Old May 18, 2023, 7:02 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by avermat
I bought this handy luggage scale from Clas Ohlson. With this I can hopefully avoid the outrageous gate check fee imposed in the future.

Luggage scale for less than 10€.

Of course their scales may be a little more sensitive 😄😄😄 I have one of those too I use on my US trips since my bags tend to be heavy when I fly from there, though no more US trips on ay for me 😄

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 20, 2023 at 9:39 am Reason: Removed images in quoted post for readability
Old May 18, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by avermat

lol you should take this idea to the product brand and get a royalty🤩 thats a fantastic marketing jippo now
Old May 18, 2023, 11:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
lol you should take this idea to the product brand and get a royalty🤩 thats a fantastic marketing jippo now
Finnair 100 - not your baggage allowance.
Old May 19, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I remembered today why I don’t sit in the first row on HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL (well beyond the flight boarding from the rear anyway). Today I was supposed to be in Row 2 but they needed someone to sit in the Exit Row so I volunteered. My goal had been to finish the last 90 pages of my book on the flight. Unfortunately, they take “no loose items in exit row on departure” quite seriously on this route and up my book went into the overhead bin.
intuition likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Your book?? Never heard of that before. Small handheld devices such as a book should be quite okay. Unless of course you have some giant book.
Old May 19, 2023, 5:17 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by ffay005
Your book?? Never heard of that before. Small handheld devices such as a book should be quite okay. Unless of course you have some giant book.
If it's a giant book, has to make sure it's not an 8.1kg encyclopedia
Old May 19, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
In her defense, this was her first week and she is just working for AY for the summer. Lovely young lady and I enjoyed our chat more than this book I’ve been trying to finish for two months anyway. I think she was just given a mandate about “no loose items” and sent on her way.
ffay005, intuition and a_k like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 1:30 pm

This is how my flight to FRA (OH-LZK) went today:
- less than 100 pax on A32B so no carry-on monitoring (at least not in group 1)
- ATC restrictions, so departure time was moved from 8:20 to 8:50
- coffee makers did not work, maintenance fixed it during ATC delay
- after pushback, flight deck realised they cannot start the engines so we were tugged back to the gate
- manual start of engines, but before that they needed to refuel
- finally in the air but no wifi
- FAs noticed that one lav is out of order, too

Are Topi's aircraft actively falling apart?

We got to FRA 45 min delayed and had a stand arrival. What a joy.

Kudos to the captain who kept us updated and to the FAs. I was even offered a predeparture drink by the purser who came for a Lumo talk whilst on the ground.

What is this manual start? We were told they need to blow some air into the engines to start them at the gate. Never heard that before.
vulle and intuition like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Maybe APU was not working
Old May 19, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
What is this manual start? We were told they need to blow some air into the engines to start them at the gate. Never heard that before.
External air turbine is used to spool the engines for start. Normally the internal APU turbine would provide the same pressurized air.

Edit: Same machine as in the movie Top Gun Maverick. They're using it to start the F14 as it doesn't have internal starter to provide the pressure to spool the engines for combustion. You just got to experiene this and were only 45 minutes late.

Last edited by avermat; May 19, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Old May 19, 2023, 1:49 pm

Thanks. Is this regular operations? And why the extra fuel?
Old May 19, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
And why the extra fuel?
We dont know but probably your pilot wanted to secure that you are going to FRA and no need to divert.
Old May 20, 2023, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
What is this manual start?
Haven't you seen this before?

Old May 23, 2023, 4:42 pm

Where did we discuss the opening hours of check-in counters a while ago?

Yesterday, Deutsche Bahn had me arrive at FRA airport earlier than intended and I was surprised to see the counters open already. I asked, and the agent said they open 2.5 hours before departure. I had been under the impression that in Europe, they universally open check-in two hours before the flight.

(All DB trains seem to be late, and my train was supposed to arrive in Mainz with a 30-min delay. However, when I got to the platform, it was occupied by another train, 70 min late, which I boarded and it left almost immediately. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.