Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
[Moderator edit to remove quote now that post has moved to a new thread.]

While it's not correlated with the aircraft type, it's true, on some flights it takes 45 min after take off to get the hot towels, while on others the purser is already serving tea and coffee at the 45 min mark. I asked about this once, and the purser gave a kind of non-answer and I still don't know why it can take so long on some flights. As one might expect, on the flights where no one emerges from behind the curtain in the first 45 min there will not be proactively offered drinks top ups either. A few times it has happened that the purser is very careful to close her curtain while leaving the Y/J separator open. If they hate serving customers so badly maybe they aren't in the right job. On the other hand some Norra crews have been great. In my experience there's no difference between Norra and AY, and on both you get a good crew 25% of the time. The purser typically asks me to use the call button if I need anything when they go on trolley duty in Y. Actually on my last flight someone in Y was pressing the call button and both of the crew members were chitchatting the front galley. One emerges, checks if J pressed it (they didn't), but still starts to serve J and totally ignored the Y call repeatedly. This happened a few times, and the crew only went to check with the Y pax after they had made around 3-4 calls.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 17, 2022 at 9:53 am Reason: See note above.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by zxcv1
While it's not correlated with the aircraft type, it's true, on some flights it takes 45 min after take off to get the hot towels, while on others the purser is already serving tea and coffee at the 45 min mark. I asked about this once, and the purser gave a kind of non-answer and I still don't know why it can take so long on some flights. As one might expect, on the flights where no one emerges from behind the curtain in the first 45 min there will not be proactively offered drinks top ups either. A few times it has happened that the purser is very careful to close her curtain while leaving the Y/J separator open. If they hate serving customers so badly maybe they aren't in the right job. On the other hand some Norra crews have been great. In my experience there's no difference between Norra and AY, and on both you get a good crew 25% of the time. The purser typically asks me to use the call button if I need anything when they go on trolley duty in Y. Actually on my last flight someone in Y was pressing the call button and both of the crew members were chitchatting the front galley. One emerges, checks if J pressed it (they didn't), but still starts to serve J and totally ignored the Y call repeatedly. This happened a few times, and the crew only went to check with the Y pax after they had made around 3-4 calls.
This. It should be a proudness to be ready for service in shortest possible time!
maybe wage cuts have changed ay crew attitude. I feel more they hide for their own comfort more and more.
I was baffled on my last trip, when I only asked for a water refill while cart was passing back, the FA said to me ”I come back soon for garbage collection” and didnt serve water that was in the cart readily available. Whoooooot???? So the cart was going back, after finishing the ”obligatory” service round, and hence a refill request is omitted as it is not a time to ask???? I was really crying inside for the SQ service mind. They AY have so many FAs that suck big time.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
I was baffled on my last trip, when I only asked for a water refill while cart was passing back, the FA said to me ”I come back soon for garbage collection” and didnt serve water that was in the cart readily available. Whoooooot???? So the cart was going back, after finishing the ”obligatory” service round, and hence a refill request is omitted as it is not a time to ask????
Could it be that she didn't hear you, and interpreted your handing an empty paper cup towards her as a wish to discard it instead of refilling it?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
I only asked for a water refill while cart was passing back, the FA said to me ”I come back soon for garbage collection” and didnt serve water that was in the cart readily available.
A new enhancement that AY+ LUMO from now on gets only one small dose of water per x hours of flight time?

They should install water recycling units so pax could drink filtrated urine like astronauts. Sustainable.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Could it be that she didn't hear you, and interpreted your handing an empty paper cup towards her as a wish to discard it instead of refilling it?
Must be this. Although I felt I was very clear and got impression she heard and intented to come back with water also and not just collecting garbage. Anyways, pushing back the cart finishing the round, an ATTENTIVE crew would seek for customer service needs while moving back, whereas a DISINTERESTED crew will move back keeping low eye contact, determined mind on the next task to make as little effort for herself and possibly max rest. I felt the latter in my case. Body language tells a lot and she showed it. No way AY.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: finnair plus platinum
I miss old Finnair crew, not many left anymore
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
It should be a proudness to be ready for service in shortest possible time!
Maybe they've understood what a nakkisuoja is.

Truth to be told, I personally don't expect stellar service on board AY. It's not like I'm expecting a CX grade 20-30 second response time to the cabin crew call button in C, but I've had more consistant positive experiences with the Asian and Spanish cabin crew members of AY. Yes, some of the Finns are friendly/good, but it's certainly not limited to mainline AY and somehow Norra would be subpar. But as for consistency in service execution, AY is subpar compared to e.g. BA. I've had friendlier cabin service with S7 than at times with AY, so it's not like I compare vis-à-vis to only QR, JL and CX.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Yesterday yours truly was received by several TV crews at HEL - I didn't stop, just smiled friendly, but friends told me I looked good (at least on IS TV) Funnily enough I was seen off by several TV crews at BUD, too

PS. The health auntie checkpoint is a major joke - you can a) simply walk on the right lane ("domestic") or b) take the left lane and walk out between them. How long do they still bother? At BUD arrivals to police checks looks at covid docs (still a joke with their numbers, but not that easily avoided)
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Yesterday yours truly was received by several TV crews at HEL - I didn't stop, just smiled friendly, but friends told me I looked good (at least on IS TV) Funnily enough I was seen off by several TV crews at BUD, too

PS. The health auntie checkpoint is a major joke - you can a) simply walk on the right lane ("domestic") or b) take the left lane and walk out between them. How long do they still bother? At BUD arrivals to police checks looks at covid docs (still a joke with their numbers, but not that easily avoided)
U were disguised as ski competitor? 🤭

Have they stopped in BUD using those empty-batteries-temperature-measurements😲
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
What ski?

BUD - just eyeballing the QR code and comparing name to ID. (Those infamous temp checks were/used to be at hospitals. But mask theater goes on - "please put it on, the CCTV is running and I'd be screwed if you don't have it")
FFlash likes this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Feb 19, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:45 am

What ski?

)
Iivo team for sure. I took KUO and today tried to follow him at Puijo but no freaking way I would have needed a rope and pull
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
At AGP, they checked boarding passes in the domestic arrivals lane. At HEL, apparenty they don't do that.

When I arrived at HEL on Thursday, they were "spot-checking" everyone because the number of aunties and arriving pax allowed that. So I suppose it depends a lot on when you arrive – OTOH I've also arrived at T1 as the only pax in the whole hall and was allowed to just walk through after a verbal "yes, I'm fully vaccinated".
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
This. It should be a proudness to be ready for service in shortest possible time!
maybe wage cuts have changed ay crew attitude. I feel more they hide for their own comfort more and more.
I was baffled on my last trip, when I only asked for a water refill while cart was passing back, the FA said to me ”I come back soon for garbage collection” and didnt serve water that was in the cart readily available. Whoooooot???? So the cart was going back, after finishing the ”obligatory” service round, and hence a refill request is omitted as it is not a time to ask???? I was really crying inside for the SQ service mind. They AY have so many FAs that suck big time.
Seems that the word about your "Back to bottom" downhill trip has been spread all over the AY and therefore you already receive a "proper" nobody treatment. Maybe for motivation reasons to stay on top level, maybe just for a "warm welcome" as such.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:29 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Regarding the sustainability: Someone wrote in a thread here along the line: "the fixation with sustainability is like Finnair is trying to appeal to people who never will fly anyway".
I thought is wal well put, and I I cam to think about it when I browsed the annual report and found the four "megatrends impacting Finnair’s business", where it looks to be listed as the number one:

As these mega-trends "offer[s] numerous opportunities, but also add new requirements for conducting business", perhaps Finnair has come to the conclusion that those who never will fly still poses a serious threat to the business, so it is imperative to impose limitations on those who do actually want to fly. Or maybe they actually think there is business opportunity in the sustainability branding.

Regardless, I think this shift in what they will prioritize will be sustained.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:01 am

Just noticed in a check in email:
Due to latest coronavirus related restrictions, selling and serving alcohol on our domestic flights within Finland ends at 11 pm and alcohol drinks are collected from customers at 12 am as of 15 February 2022.
Last time I asked, AY doesn't serve any alcohol on domestic ATRs. Anyone seen differently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.