Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:17 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I wouldn't say the network ends in Sundsvall, even if you no longer can take a train to Haparanda/Torneå. Luleå is served by train, for example, and there are quite some kms of active rail in the northern half of sweden.

Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The northern Finnish and Swedish rail network is mainly to carry freight, the occasional passenger train is more of a fig leaf...
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:58 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Freight is of course an important thing from the northern vastnesses. But there is regular highspeed (passenger only) train to Umeå at least and daily sleeper trains all the way to Narvik.
Besides, widening and straightening of rail between Umeå and Luleå is well underway with the underlying idea of cutting travel-time to 50% and making Luleå-Stockholm doable. (If there is demand for it is another kettle of fish)
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by oliver2002
As far as trains go: Ms Greta's version of travel sadly doesn't work in the nordics as the rail network abruptly ends in Sundsvall and Oulu. I can get to Kemi, but not to Tornio. On the other side I would have to switch to a bus...
Do you mean $50m carbon-fibre yacht with 4-6 member crew (with release crew flown in )? I didn't know that's an option for mere mortals going even to Oulu :P
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Do you mean $50m carbon-fibre yacht with 4-6 member crew (with release crew flown in )? I didn't know that's an option for mere mortals going even to Oulu :P
No, I think he means reducing flying in general. Don't you?

But come on, let's now make this into a political thing again and stay away from such comments?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It would be great if they had sea options to go up north... curiously the east west corridor across the baltic has quite a few ferries, but there is no passenger traffic option to the north. I suppose its not a commerical option with the emmsion restrictions on baltic sea traffic... for freight there is quite a bit of traffic: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:64.4/zoom:5
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good remark - never thought about S-N passenger traffic. Probably the reason is that on both sides of the Bay of Bothnia you can move S-N much faster by train or car, whereas it's not an option E-W. At least some of the FIN-DEU freighters do take limited amount of pax as well, don't know about the Bothnia freighters. Could be interesting sailing (actually dieseling ) the Hamina-Vaasa route or similar.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gnopps
No, I think he means reducing flying in general. Don't you?

But come on, let's now make this into a political thing again and stay away from such comments?
Not wanting to make it political, but this is the höpöhöpö corner, innit?
Gnopps and cistavoda like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
My beloved wife is currently entertaning the idea of a 3-4 week roadtrip from Munich to Tornio and back in August: 'to show the kids the country'!

My only line of defense is that we wouldn't want to expose Mummu and Pappa with corona...
How old are the kids? In the early '90s we did HEL-TKU-STO-GOT-CPH-STR-MUC-VIE-BUD and more or less the same back by car and it was LOOONG. IIRC it was ca. 3k km each way.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Take the train to Umeå, from there the ferry to Vaasa and then continue north! Obviously fly back home as such round trip with kids would be insane.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
How old are the kids? In the early '90s we did HEL-TKU-STO-GOT-CPH-STR-MUC-VIE-BUD and more or less the same back by car and it was LOOONG. IIRC it was ca. 3k km each way.
Starting from TMP, I did almost the same one way interrailing in 1989. No STR I think, took 2 or 3 days on one go. Don't think I would ever do this again..
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by aapee
Starting from TMP, I did almost the same one way interrailing in 1989. No STR I think, took 2 or 3 days on one go. Don't think I would ever do this again..
Since this is höpö-höpö thread, and it's full of Idiots, I can only wonder what made you road-tripping those airports back in the days. Maybe some extra points for car parking?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:20 am

10 &12....
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Back on track from railtrack

How many of you are now applying for private plane license as we cannot fly scheduled planes?
Steve_Hun and kauppias like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:12 am

A colleague of mine has a TB-20 and flies around Europe as he pleases since a few years. The problem with that is the missing lav and minimal catering. Also you can't really sit back and relax at any point, not to speak of bad weather... any cloud cover and you are f-ed to fly low below the clouds and get tossed aorund by winds while trying to avoid omni present windfarms...
FFlash likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.