Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 5:53 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by r2d2

Add the tier bonus ...
Ah, so this is under assumption everyone is already a platinum... I must have missed that announcement...

I didn't mean literarly that everyone has a Plat card. ...
Fair enough.
But believing there are many cards around means nothing. Finnair is growing, naturally number of tier members is growing. You don't even know if there has been a relative increase or decrease in platinum members by just sampling your surroundings.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:14 am

My 2 cents.
Plat is not in reach for everyone. Of course therotically it is, but to be considered within healthy limits I doubt.
I'm a normal worker with ms. and a child. I'll reach gold on segments. But that's it. I'm not HEL based and do have a 1 hour ride to nearest airport. The cost for the 46 segments will be just above 2000€. That's for me only. Ms. tix not included. Child needs own tix nowadays and that tends to be expensive. Hotels and other costs not included. Of course you can leave them at home, but doesn't work in reality all the time.
Then we have the time aspect, full time working with NO paid flying at all. Ms. also full time, even weekends makes it a real challenge to plan and execute 46 segments. Very much possible. But +30 segments on top of that. Not with my schedule. Maybe IF ms. would be home alone with a toddler every weekend she isn't working. But then I have to choose between an empty house or a plat card 😀
Old May 26, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Ah, so this is under assumption everyone is already a platinum... I must have missed that announcement...
Please read my previous post again. It's impossible to reach Plat without making at least Silver before.

Finnair is growing, naturally number of tier members is growing. You don't even know if there has been a relative increase or decrease in platinum members by just sampling your surroundings.
That's true. The population of ethnical Finns is pretty stagnant, but the amount of flying is increasing, so my guess is that the number of Finnish Plats has grown.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
That's true. The population of ethnical Finns is pretty stagnant, but the amount of flying is increasing, so my guess is that the number of Finnish Plats has grown.
I'd expect that foreigners and/or first-generation Finns are over-represented among Finland-dwelling Finnair Plus tier members compared to the general population. Not because most tier members I know (incl. self) are of foreign background, but:
  • They are over-represented in surroundings of HEL compared to the rest of the country.
  • They tend to need to travel intrinsically more than locals, due to foreign (family) ties and type of jobs.
SPBanker and remymartin like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I can easily point out at least 3 Plat/Lumo members from this board who fit the above description
remymartin, Steve_Hun and Clydez like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
FA taking precautions for rain while doing the tax free cart round

EDIT: I am not sure if the image was uploaded and processed by FT. If not, I will try again when I am off the aircraft.

Last edited by Trav1970; May 27, 2019 at 9:38 pm Reason: Issue with attaching an image
Old May 26, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Trav1970
FA taking precautions for rain while doing the tax free cart round

EDIT: I am not sure if the image was uploaded and processed by FT. If not, I will try again when I am off the aircraft.
That rain is a beer shower in german style, when Finland scores a goal, Lumo member streaming online onboard
Old May 26, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Please read my previous post again. It's impossible to reach Plat without making at least Silver before.
Nope, with gold gift cards silver-step is not needed to reach Plat.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Regardless of tier bonuses, your claim that 4 trips is enough is false.
IIRC you suggested that SVO was used, ie everyman is flying HEL-SVO-HEL and then onto a longhaul. Doing this in value earns 20k points
After 2 r/t silver tier bonus of 10% kicks in.
After 4 r/t gold tier bonus of 15% kicks in..
After 4 r/t 84k poinrts are accumulated, which is not enough for platinum
After 5 r/t 107k points are accumulated, but your theory of exchanging award for tier points can't be used because there is not enough award points to exchange.
Only after 6 r/t in value on this route can the savvy member earn platinum with that exchange.

If we add a presumption that you were in fact talking about those who are already platinum and re-qualifying for plat, then the whole argument is flawed. Re-qualifying is not contributing to increase in number of plat cards!

And still, even with that presumption, the 4x trips earns 100k and that is not enough to convert into 150k, so there is yet another presumption that the flyer has some other source of points.
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Nope, with gold gift cards silver-step is not needed to reach Plat.
Gold counts as "at least Silver"

After 4 r/t 84k poinrts are accumulated, which is not enough for platinum
It seems this discussion is getting pointless. If you have enough award points, you can change them to reach 150k tier points from 84k tier points. Sure, you can always argue that the starting point for award points is different. In reality, the situation differs for every person. In Finland it's easy to have other sources of award points than flying and if you have some history with AY+, you could already have some award points before you start running for Plat.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
If you have enough award points, you can change them to reach 150k tier points from 84k tier points. Sure, you can always argue that the starting point for award points is different. In reality, the situation differs for every person. In Finland it's easy to have other sources of award points than flying and if you have some history with AY+, you could already have some award points before you start running for Plat.
To achieve Platinum from 84K tier points, you would need to convert 75K x 3 = 225k award points (you can only convert to TPs in units of 5,000, if I'm not mistaken). Not sure about the "everyman" or "everyperson," but an extra 141k award points (after accounting for the 84k award points from flying) seems like a pretty substantial amount of award points to me. I agree with intuition that 6 roundtrips is more likely the required number of trips—and this assumes that travel to/through Russia can be done with ease.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: AY+, HH Gold
The Finnish ice hockey team is flying home with OH-LXM

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/oh-lxm
florens likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Eyrie
The Finnish ice hockey team is flying home with OH-LXM

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/oh-lxm
Plenty of champagne loaded hopefully.
intuition likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: AY+, HH Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Plenty of champagne loaded hopefully.
Wonder if points from the flight will give instant gold status :P
tsastor, ffay005, florens and 2 others like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:39 am

Soon 2h late. Scheduled for 11.00, but seems to be still on the ground in Bratislava.
Maybe OH-LXM has gone tech. That would be disastrous publicity for AY 😂
remymartin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.