Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
DY started today scheduled MAX -flights from Finland so I had a ride with brand new Boeing 737 8 MAX. Would You sit here 7-8 hrs on transatlantic flight?
For a hundred bucks? Why not? For 500 - no way!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For a hundred bucks? Why not? For 500 - no way!
I'll do it for 500. Them paying me that is.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
DY started today scheduled MAX -flights from Finland so I had a ride with brand new Boeing 737 8 MAX. Would You sit here 7-8 hrs on transatlantic flight?
Difficult to see with the framing, but leg room looks decent. How was the actual feeling of legroom?

I would not fly Norwegian TATL, but that's neither driven by the specific seat nor the plane.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:25 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
I saw that, too. I think it sucks that frequent fliers are not awarded for 1) loyalty in years of membership and 2) the number of times they choose AY (segments). I fly over 100 Oneworld flights per year, mostly AY. I choose AY more times in a year than most of the people who have status (by long-haul in business a few times a year). But only revenue seems to matter to the airline.
Originally Posted by intuition
I don't understand what you are getting at? There are the qualifying segments but you are thinking of something else? ...
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Flying a lot of short-haul segments costs a lot of money and brings a lot of status-granting segments, but very few award points.

I am still not getting it.

If short-hauls are expensive and yields few points (and points are important) then rev based would be an improvement, but it seems Cerulean is getting at something else?

If we are talking about awarding (in a broad sense) for long time loyalty, then we are talking about the Lifetime program. And if that is what we are talking about, I do agree there should be more ways of qualification. LT segments seems simple enough.

If I leave aside the issues with the thresholds numericals, it is simple enough to calculate reasonable numbers for segments. If plat is 150k or 76 segments, then one segment is valued at ≈1974 points. With that conversion, LT gold would be 1500 segments and LT plat 2500 segments. Cerulean would be LT gold in 15 years at 100 segments a year, even if they all were 25% shorthaul fares.

Similarly, there could be a time qualifier. It is pretty common in other programs where number of years at a certain tier triggers the lifetime card. For example in Eurobonus and Flying Blue 10 consecutive years at one level will lock that level in.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:28 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Of course one could be more creative when talking about awarding long time loyalty - like adding "achievements". Award each 500k lifetime tierpoints, each 250 liftetime segment, ...
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by intuition
I am still not getting it.

If short-hauls are expensive and yields few points (and points are important) then rev based would be an improvement, but it seems Cerulean is getting at something else?
It's the small things, the inofficial perks: invites to try out stuff from Suunto watches to invite-only AY events. Hockey tickets (not that I want any - but send me other tickets). Free gifts from the AY shop, except for a free Gold card to somebody else. These you only get as high revenue customer, not frequent loyalty-priority customer.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I only noticed yesterday that AY is offering an amenity kit for sale in both the preorder and the onboard shopping catalogues. The version for sale has red poppy flowers instead of the blue ones on the usual amenity kits. Includes Verso creme, ear plugs and eye mask, nothing else. Price €23
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by ffay005
I only noticed yesterday that AY is offering an amenity kit for sale in both the preorder and the onboard shopping catalogues. The version for sale has red poppy flowers instead of the blue ones on the usual amenity kits. Includes Verso creme, ear plugs and eye mask, nothing else. Price €23
I know at least 3 "usual" ones, two different ones in bisnetic class (blue and grey), and a smaller one in comfy class. But none of them are red, indeed.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yeah, the pic shows a red Unikko bag. It looks just like the Unikko J bag, but with red poppy flowers. I wonder if this version carries the Marimekko for Finnair label as well.

There are at least four different J bags. Unikko, Isot kivet, one with blue stripes and one with a silver pattern of some kind. Maybe more?

EDIT: Actually, the zipper and size of the bag for sale made me reconsider – it seems to be similar to the Y+ bag, save for the colour and pattern. €23 for that? Wow!

Last edited by ffay005; Nov 5, 2017 at 5:46 am Reason: J -> Y+
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)

EDIT: Actually, the zipper and size of the bag for sale made me reconsider – it seems to be similar to the Y+ bag, save for the colour and pattern. €23 for that? Wow!
It is not for the content, but for the bag
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:00 pm

What a great first post on FT, Jmv1. Welcome, and thanks for bringing us the good news!

I'm really glad to hear about upcoming improvements, especially about the new seats and about reducing the number of J seats they cram in the forward cabin. Now if only that trayless meal service would be on demand. That would be a real business class!
I've heard some rumours that the meal service is going to be on demand, happy days! The over all level of service is also going to be improved.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
yes & yes ^
Originally Posted by hero1
Thanks a lot for this! Are both of the Gold gift cards valid for 12 months? And do the Gold cards come with upgrade vouchers?

Hi again WilcoRoger! I had a chat with Finnair customer service today, and they claimed that the first gift gold would only be valid until the end of my current membership period, and the second gift Gold that becomes available once the new period starts, would be valid for 12 months. On the other hand, the customers has been wrong before.

Can you verify that you have given both gold cards and both have been valid for 12 months? Could Finnair have changed this recently?

Thanks again!

2100 points to plat
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by hero1
Hi again WilcoRoger! I had a chat with Finnair customer service today, and they claimed that the first gift gold would only be valid until the end of my current membership period, and the second gift Gold that becomes available once the new period starts, would be valid for 12 months. On the other hand, the customers has been wrong before.

Can you verify that you have given both gold cards and both have been valid for 12 months? Could Finnair have changed this recently?

Thanks again!

2100 points to plat
Backing up for Wilco as he has the evening duty today

At least in my experience (and also remember from many others in that forum) the gifted card is naturally valid for the whole 12 month period (it resets the earning period for person you gave the gift). When you re-qualify (in this case when your new earning period starts), you will get a new Gold gift which is valid in your account for 1 year, and when you want to Gift that card, it will be again valid for 12 month period for the person you gave it to.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Furry
Backing up for Wilco as he has the evening duty today

At least in my experience (and also remember from many others in that forum) the gifted card is naturally valid for the whole 12 month period (it resets the earning period for person you gave the gift). When you re-qualify (in this case when your new earning period starts), you will get a new Gold gift which is valid in your account for 1 year, and when you want to Gift that card, it will be again valid for 12 month period for the person you gave it to.
Thanks Furry! I do believe you guys have better knowledge on these issues than Finnair customer service
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I can, too, confirm that both cards are of 12 month’s validity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.