Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by lkrt
TXL not safe! Almost missed my flight.
OSL depends on time of the day, security check IIRC, not the safest
TXL - safe imo. Done it twice, would have managed 2-3 other times easily when I went to the city, though. You only need to have BP and travel HBO. There is a security, but it's like next door, often accessible directly from the arrival tunnel. You could often get a drink in BA lounge, too. How did you manage to almost miss a flight?

OSL - haven't had security screening there for more than half a year on numerous occassions. I think it's now totally safe there. Just walk around the gate.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Don't you end up to the narrow upper corridor, leading either to the exit or to the transfer security most of the time when landing in OSL? I remember only one or two cases out of many when the deboarding has led straight to the gate area. (This doesn't necessarily mean that same plane turnaround wouldn't be possible, though.)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
TXL: I don't know if you can access the departure "holding pen" straight coming off a flight, I think there's only one way to go to baggage claim. TXL has security checks for a pair of two gates. Last time my flight left 15 minutes prior to the departure of the other flight in the same security holding pen. Therefore, as we left from the BA lounge, we came to discover a huge queue of people to the security check. Most were passengers for the flight that left 15 minutes later. Staff didn't want to help us in any way so despite arriving to the gate area 45 minutes before departure, we reached the boarding gate 10 minutes prior to departure.

To me, this was a surprising experience too, since I've often travelled through TXL with no issues. After this, I can't consider it safe anymore.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by loimu
Don't you end up to the narrow upper corridor, leading either to the exit or to the transfer security most of the time when landing in OSL? I remember only one or two cases out of many when the deboarding has led straight to the gate area. (This doesn't necessarily mean that same plane turnaround wouldn't be possible, though.)
Last time I had to go screening in OSL was A350 FAM flight to OSL in 2015. After new terminal wing opened, you just enter to gate area like in ARN.

OSL safe.
Superrman likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:08 am

PRG: safe but need to walk and climb from arrivals floor to departures floor. And the lounge is crap so walk direct to the gate.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:20 am

LHR: You need good legs and first class running shoes, then you make it. Really fast MRunner eats breakfast in CX between AY1331/1332

LHR: Safe but not safe
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
LHR: You need good legs and first class running shoes, then you make it. Really fast MRunner eats breakfast in CX between AY1331/1332

LHR: Safe but not safe
Ha! But MR is direct turnaround no frills, but going for CX lounge is MasscxTourism!
OH-LGG, florens and Superrman like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
What about a wiki with DT info? Would be valuable!
esledo, seldomrfly and Superrman like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
I found myself in a siuation where I'll have to go on MRs this spring. Which destinations are turn-around friendly and which are not?
ARN safe
WAW safe?
AMS safe?
TLL no go
TXL ?
OSL?
CPH?
BUD safe?

Experienced MRunner willing to fill in safe and not recommended turn around destinations?
​​
WAW safe. IIRC you can stay in gate area. Getting to lounge is slightly more tedious.

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
PRG: safe but need to walk and climb from arrivals floor to departures floor. And the lounge is crap so walk direct to the gate.
Does AY still use the gate across from Lounge? Then better to sit in lounge than in gate area, regardless of how crappy it is me thinks.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ffay005
What about a wiki with DT info? Would be valuable!
There you go, just start filling in.

I also asked mods to add immediate turnarounds to thread title.
Superrman likes this.

Last edited by esledo; Jan 23, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Great work Esledo! ^^
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Just to chime in. BGO is safe, direct turn.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by intuition
WAW safe. IIRC you can stay in gate area. Getting to lounge is slightly more tedious.
As said WAW is very safe - after deplaning physically just turn around The lounge is also easily doable, turn right from the gate and walk 50m. Nothing to write home about, so you might as well browse the duty free offerings instead.

Updated the wiki for MUC, VIE and ATH

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jan 24, 2019 at 3:03 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
As said WAW is very safe - after deplaning physically just turn around The lounge is also easily doable, turn right from the gate and walk 50m. Nothing to write home about, so you might as well browse the duty free offerings instead.
From my faint memory, at my visit there was some glass walls hindering "turning right from gate". Instead I recall it as leaving the gate area to the left and only then (possibly after security inspection) was I able to turn right and take a pretty long walk back to center of hall where lounge is.

Perhaps it was an exception and we had to "moor" at the wrong type of gate. Upon landing there was a delay before taxi to northern most end of terminal IIRC.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by lkrt
TXL: I don't know if you can access the departure "holding pen" straight coming off a flight, I think there's only one way to go to baggage claim. TXL has security checks for a pair of two gates. Last time my flight left 15 minutes prior to the departure of the other flight in the same security holding pen. Therefore, as we left from the BA lounge, we came to discover a huge queue of people to the security check. Most were passengers for the flight that left 15 minutes later. Staff didn't want to help us in any way so despite arriving to the gate area 45 minutes before departure, we reached the boarding gate 10 minutes prior to departure.

To me, this was a surprising experience too, since I've often travelled through TXL with no issues. After this, I can't consider it safe anymore.
At least some gates have a corridor (easy-to-miss, though) that takes you directly to the front of the security line. So you can skip the baggage claim and possibly long queue around the check-in area, but you cannot get to the departure zone without clearing security.

After reading this, I might be more careful about TXL, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.