Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AhogZ
This Wikipost is community-maintained and For Information Only. Note that not all information may be up to date and should be used at your own risk.

Safe - Immediate turnaround is easy, i.e. according to experience it is possible to reach departure gate quickly and without extra security check when doing same plane turnaround.
Intermediate - Immediate turnaround is doable, but requires e.g. extra security check.
Risky - Immediate turnaround not recommended. (See notes.)

TO KEEP THE WIKI AS COHERENT AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE USE "SAFE", "INTERMEDIATE" OR "RISKY" APPROPRIATELY! (I.e. no "Safe" for stations that require any kind of security or transfer check, not to mention going landside, etc.)

Immediate turnaround information for European AY destinations:

ACE: ?
AGP: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.) Details here from August 2022
ALC: Intermediate, Arrivals pour from jetbridge to "funnel pathway" which takes people to baggage claim, but one can look for "Transfer" signage and take escalator up to the gate area. No checkpoints.
AMS: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
ARN: Safe / Intermediate (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate, except gate 62 arrival pours to baggage claim. ATR flights may be riskier if one ends up with a bus gate.)
ATH: Intermediate at best
AYT: ?
BCN: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
BER: ?
BGO: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BLL: ?
BMA: Safe (Transfer door is before going to the terminal exit and boarding will not start before the incoming plane is empty.)
BRU: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
BUD: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CDG: ?
CFU: ?
CHQ: Risky (To landside first and security needed. Long lines possibile.)
CPH: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
CTA: ?
DBV: ?
DUB: ?
DUS: ?
EDI: ? (Security check required for sure.)
FCO: Intermediate / Risky. Bus transportation can cause long walks.
FNC: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight. Mobile BP not available, obtain a BP from HEL.)
FRA: Safe (Even with the bus from stand you can make it.)
FUE: ?
GDN: Risky (Providing it is ATR by Norra, apron position, walking / bussing to the arrivals, queue security (can be very long), sprint upstairs to the gate.)
GOT: Safe / Intermediate(At least on tube arrival, after exit from the tube to the terminal area, turn around and you are at the departure gate. No info on possible bus gates though.)
GVA: ?
GZP: ?
HAJ: Safe (Arrival at departure gate)
HAM: ?
HER: ?
IBZ: ?
INN: Intermediate / Risky (To landside first and then security. No airside transit.)
IVL: Safe, arrivals pour into the gate area.
JOE: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
JSI: ?
JTR: ?
JYV: ?
KAJ: ?
KAO: ?
KEF: ?
KEM: ?
KGS: ?
KOK: ?
KRK: Intermediate (AY rarely has a jetty position so bus, arrivals then go upstairs to departures for security, there is a fast track for OW elites - not well signposted - separate B/Pass scanner to the left)
KTT: ?
KUO: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
LHR: Intermediate (Need to go via Flight Connections to reclear security, which may take time depending on the time of the day.)
LIS: ?
LIN: Safe, arrivals pour into departures.
LJU: ?
LPA: ?
LYS: ?
MAD: No direct turnarounds due to operated by IB.
MAH: ?
MAN: Intermediate/Risky, requires reclearing security.
MHQ: ?
MSQ: ?
MUC: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
MXP: Intermediate / Risky (Arrivals come into a different floor, transfer requires walking through a transfer point and distances are quite long.)
NAP: ?
NCE: ?
OSL: Safe / Intermediate (D gates pours directly to departures. E gates also pours to departure gate, follow transit arrow, automatic gate door will open during "normal" hours. IF door doesn't open go upstairs try the transfer security. Very rare reports of stand arrival with bus to exit, but should still be doable, security is usually fast and short distances.)
OUL: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
PFO: ?
PMI: ?
PRG: Safe (From arrivals walk up to departures to departure gate.)
PVK: ?
RHO: Risky (Arrivals pour to baggage claim, security check usually has long lines before you get to the departure hall.)
RIX: Risky. After deplaning, you walk to the terminal, but boarding is done with buses. My flight was delayed, and they started boarding before the plane was even there.
RMI: ?
RVN: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
SPU: ?
SZG: ?
TAY: ?
TFS: ?
TLL: Risky (May have a remote stand arrival, when departing flight has been boarded into a bus with boarding gate already closed.)
TLV: ?
TOS: ?
UME: ?
VAA: Intermediate (Exit via baggage claim and reclear security, but should be doable if you exit among the first from the inbound flight.)
VBY: ?
VCE: ?
VIE: Safe (Arrivals pour directly to departure gate.)
VNO: Risky. (Departing pax board bus when arriving pax still deplaning. Connection corridor available but not sure how straightforward it is).
VRN: ?
WAW: Safe (Arrivals pour to departure gate.)
ZRH: Safe (When exiting the bridge, you are under the gates and there are inclined speedwalks that bring back to the gates upstairs.)

Immediate turnaround information for selected longhaul AY destinations:

DEL: Intermediate (There's plenty of time for the obligatory visit to the transit desk and security. However, you'll need a self-printed visa confirmation to show the gate agent at HEL.)
DOH: ?
DXB: Intermediate (Follow "connections" to security downstairs and after that go to transfer desk if needed.)
JFK: Intermediate (Generous time with the new schedule, but you'll need to clear US immigration so ESTA or visa is needed.)
NRT: Intermediate (OLCI and mobile BP works, no need to go landside. There's transfer security, though.)
Print Wikipost

Ahoy, mileage runners! (Incl. immediate turnarounds)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by jimaras08
TXL-ORD with AY carrier but AA code 250 €
TXL-ORD with AY carrer and AY code 350 €
Any ideas how to book TXL-ORD with AY code for 250 € ?
FWIW I booked TXL-SFO/LAX-TXL yesterday for 270€ (263€ + 7€ fee), all on AY-codes on via Travelink. Just use Momondo or Skyscanner to come up with a suitable itinerary and check out all the OTAs it offers, one of them should work. Expedia for example refused to give me all-AY codes on the very same flights.
jimaras08 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
FWIW I booked TXL-SFO/LAX-TXL yesterday for 270€ (263€ + 7€ fee), all on AY-codes on via Travelink. Just use Momondo or Skyscanner to come up with a suitable itinerary and check out all the OTAs it offers, one of them should work. Expedia for example refused to give me all-AY codes on the very same flights.
I actually found TXL-HEL-ORD-HEL-TXL on OTA (Skyscanner -> Flight Network) for 250€ but I just don't trust those OTAs on tight schedules. TXL-HEL arrives at 12:25p and HEL-ORD leaves at 13:30p. AY offered on their webside the same but with a free stopover in HEL. Well, I ended up paying 300€, not the best for 10k+ points but AA runs are over. At least its more comfort because I fly out of TXL and I can use vouchers!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I actually found TXL-HEL-ORD-HEL-TXL on OTA (Skyscanner -> Flight Network) for 250€ but I just don't trust those OTAs on tight schedules. TXL-HEL arrives at 12:25p and HEL-ORD leaves at 13:30p. AY offered on their webside the same but with a free stopover in HEL. Well, I ended up paying 300€, not the best for 10k+ points but AA runs are over. At least its more comfort because I fly out of TXL and I can use vouchers!
The fare basis doesn't allow for a free stopover thanks to the cartel. A stopover (i.e. more than 24 hours) results in a major price increase.
jimaras08 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
I meant layover, sorry. Arriving late and leaving early was an option.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Why don't you trust OTAs on tight schedules? At the time any problem may occur, the ticket is already Under Airport Control. And they cannot sell you a connection under MCT anyway. Moreover that, in the end it is always the operating carrier obliged to take care of you. It's just their cheap excuse to tell you "you book with an OTA" anytime they try this. I'm booking most (>90%) of my tickets through OTAs, out of which the general outcome is that if you can speak English, you will always find a solution.
jimaras08 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Okay, I have a problem, I booked very cheaply (0935)ARN-HEL-LAX-HEL-ARN which as HEL-ARN on different day than return to HEL -> taking baggages off plane at HEL is possible and last leg can be skipped.
For positioning, I took 0755-0755 HEL-ARN flight, which in normal conditions means easy check-in etc. at ARN. But what if there is delay...say 30min and the check-in/bag drop closes before getting baggages to the plane

So I think I have few options:
1. cancel HEL-ARN-HEL within 24h and get most of money back, book i.e. day before +hotel and mitigate most risks but pay ~200€ more
2. Any change of making same plane turnaround with baggages i.e. canceling the tix and booking (or asking for Finnair to change) on 0850 flight to ARN which is the same plane as 0935 to HEL -> they don't unload baggages in this case?
3. Live on the edge and go with original plan
4. cancel all and find some OTA that books HEL-ARN-HEL-LAX-HEL-ARN-HEL, at least on Finnair engine it was not possible and same ticket would help a lot in problems but I reckon same plane turnaround is not possible for same ticket due to MCT.
5. Using the platsku charm, just ask at HEL to check the bags directly HEL-LAX, fly to ARN and back without bags (would this be possible at HEL?)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
My understanding is that AY doesn't have a problem with checking bags HEL-LAX (even if your journey=ticket originates at ARN). This is what I'd do.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
5. Using the platsku charm, just ask at HEL to check the bags directly HEL-LAX, fly to ARN and back without bags (would this be possible at HEL?)
Originally Posted by ffay005
My understanding is that AY doesn't have a problem with checking bags HEL-LAX (even if your journey=ticket originates at ARN). This is what I'd do.
Yes, there was some discussion about this a while back. Some FTers (including myself) have done this successfully, a competent agent is able to do this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:19 pm
R2

You don't need any particular charm for this to be ok, just ask nicely and check your luggage tags to ensure the agent understood what you want to do...this is very commonplace, I have done it dozens of times over the years never any problem.
esledo and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:39 am

Well, called CS and according to them it is not possible to just drop the bags in HEL and make turnaround without bags. But they advised that by showing the both tickets and praying for mercy, that could be done at the airport but for natural reasons they will not quarantee it.
-> It might be risky to change the flight to 850 in case 1) bags would travel with us and they can't leave them laying in the cargo hold 2) no time to actually collect bags and get back to plane

Hence, its all about risks, in generally (having "some" experience on smooth ARN T2 passages, there is really limited risk related to carrying the bags to check-in desk and going through security etc.

But for risk management point of view, missing the 935 flight would screw up everything, hence the question is that due to the itienaries being on same tickets, what would be the recommendation.
Risk mitigation by cancelling the ARN flights and taking flight to ARN on earlier day would cost something in the range of 200e so not really critical issue but naturally only mitigating a risk.
Oneway with Norwegian seem to rather expensive, let alone AY but any better options to get peace of mind. With 80+ segments already this year with AY, I have certain distrust on everything going smoothly...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I believe this is a "feature" only possible starting in HEL. They do it like it was an early bag drop for the HEL-LAX part of the ticket.
For a journey where the bags are dropped at other stations than HEL they can't skip legs. Ie if that was ARN-HEL-PRG-HEL-LAX, they cannot skip the PRG leg and let the bag stay in HEL.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, called CS and according to them it is not possible to just drop the bags in HEL and make turnaround without bags. ..
I've been told similar. "It is illegal to allow passenger and bag not fly the same legs". (Obviously meant on passenger request, IRROP is something else)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, called CS and according to them it is not possible to just drop the bags in HEL and make turnaround without bags. But they advised that by showing the both tickets and praying for mercy, that could be done at the airport but for natural reasons they will not quarantee it.
I would not trust Janica here. She has no experience about this and gives you a guessed reply according to what she thinks would hold true. Why not go to the Plat desk at HEL next time you're there and ask them? They'll know better.
on22cz likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:58 am

On Terms and conditions point of view, is there actually any responsibility on AY to cover their own delay even though technically not on same tickets?
I think the worst case is that 0755 flight is delayed so significantly that it would actually arrive to ARN when gate closes to 0935 flight -> naturally this would likely be the case of delayed departure.
Is there any change that passenger would actually be offboarded at HEL and skip the whole HEL-ARN-HEL?
Or, in case that ARN-HEL might be just slightly delayed but due to smooth transit from gate to gate, taking the ARN-HEL would be okay but bags not, I don't think AY has any responsibility to deliver the bags from ARN to LAX if essentially passenger did not drop the bags at ARN. Or, since it would all be AY's fault (and customers risk appetite), would they still dump the bags from ARN to HEL later on and deliver the bags on later LAX-flights.
For the sake of clarity, I've upgraded HEL-LAX so that is in F (and respectively I think also ARN-HEL should be but at least in the booking not yet) but the HEL-ARN part is just plain old Y.

Major problem is that there is no flights between ARN-HEL before HEL-LAX departs.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:59 am

Actually good tip from ffay005 as that "next time" is already tomorrow but thenagain, possibility to cancel tickets ends today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.