Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY co-branded Diners Club card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:46 am

Ah! I guessed this day will surely come... folks I know that have this card all will be cancelling it - pointless to keep it in ya wallet from march '14. Lounge access was the selling point and strength for DC, now that it's going to be a charged issue, makes more sense to have an AX card and have freedom to transfer points anywhere. They will be busy cancelling cards from now on...

Final blow to SEB/DC will be if AX introduces 1-2 free access to lounges/yr with for example AX Gold.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

I wonder if the SAS cobranded cards will have the same fee
Yes it will be since the issuer, DC Finland (SEB) decides that having their DC card does not anymore come with free lounge access.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AY Silver. HHonors Gold & the other shiny cards you get with the AX plat
Originally Posted by TTL
A comped AY Club (with lounge entry of 2 as if with shinier cards) is not a side dish disgusting at all for the Premium card (with some spend).
Are there any other unpublished benefits of the DC Premium card in Finland?

These are the published ones:
- 2 Club Rewards points per 1 EUR spent
- Extra comprehensive travel insurance
- Concierge Service
- Price protection insurance
- GlobeCard Premium MasterCard without extra fee.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
I just cancelled our cards. I´m not willing to pay even 19 euros plus yearly fees for crappy lounges. It´s been a while since I´ve used lounges as I mainly travel with kids and they´ve been paying guest all along. Not like I enjoy any lounge with them, let alone pay 19 euros for them too. Who´s going to keep the card? I canno´t think of much use for it now.
As AY Gold I will keep it as long as they don't start charging Golds and Plats for lounge visits (though I use it quite seldom for lounge access anyway). No yearly fee and pretty good points accrual (2,5 points per € spent).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OT-ish, but just to inform all that GEmoneybank is running a 5% cashback *) promotion on all their cards in Sweden, when used for travel and hotel purchases. Limited to 20000 SEK purchases, but still pretty good.

*)
I never really got hooked on cards that generate miles (as miles are far less useful than cash) but I love the cashback ones. My normal card only yields 1% back, so this one I've jumped on
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast
As AY Gold I will keep it as long as they don't start charging Golds and Plats for lounge visits (though I use it quite seldom for lounge access anyway). No yearly fee and pretty good points accrual (2,5 points per € spent).
As long as you're flying OW, you don't even need DC, as AY Gold gives you lounge access and more. If you fly *A or ST, you'll be hit with the 19€ lounge fee, no matter what status you have with AY.

If you're into AY+ points for the flights or upgrades, DC is still the best card to accrue them.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
*)
I never really got hooked on cards that generate miles (as miles are far less useful than cash) but I love the cashback ones. My normal card only yields 1% back, so this one I've jumped on
In FI the only cashback cards are store specific (earning cashback at Stockmann and the S co-operative respectively) and give a measly 0,5%. Give me my Avios any time over that!

With the yearly transfer promotion I can get about 1,2 Avios/€ on my Amex Gold. On 20k € spending it's 24kAvios vs 100€ cashback. And it is with the assumption that I would spend 20k at S or Stockmann, which would be an order of magnitude off.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
As long as you're flying OW, you don't even need DC, as AY Gold gives you lounge access and more. If you fly *A or ST, you'll be hit with the 19€ lounge fee, no matter what status you have with AY.
You are absolutely right - and I usually tend to fly OW. But when it comes to this new DC lounge fee, did you see this:

"Jotta voimme jatkossakin tarjota käyttöösi kattavan loungeverkoston ja varmistaa palvelun korkean laadun, muuttuvat loungekäynnit 1.3.2014 alkaen maksullisiksi. Vierailun hinta on tämän jälkeen 19 euroa/käynti. Lounge-käynnit säilyvät maksuttomina Diners Club Premium-, Finnair Plus Gold Diners Club- ja Finnair Plus Platinum Diners Club -jäsenille."
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Thanks for the narrative, LoungeEnthusiast. I still haven't received a letter from DC. 19 euros for a lounge per pax seems rather steep.

This and last week DCAY sellers were quite present at HEL pushing the card to poor souls who had no idea of the upcoming change.

OT: Anyone know when Lounge 2 (ex Tower etc) will re-open in HEL? I heard they won't renew the contract with PP.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hoops, someone (Lounge Enthusiast) seems to read his mail more closely than I do...
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Hoops, someone (Lounge Enthusiast) seems to read his mail more closely than I do...
I wonder if that really applies to all DC lounges

Also I wonder if EBG will be on the free list?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Already over 15 minutes on the DC customer phone waiting - must be quite a lot of cancellations coming in

After 21 min answer... explained the reasons why - hopefully somewhere they write it up.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Dec 12, 2013 at 12:43 am Reason: updated waiting time
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kauppias
I wonder if that really applies to all DC lounges

Also I wonder if EBG will be on the free list?
That's what I'm wondering, too.

OTOH I would take a BA cobranded card anytime, no matter the visit fees
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:11 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by TapioR
Are there any other unpublished benefits of the DC Premium card in Finland?

These are the published ones:
- 2 Club Rewards points per 1 EUR spent
- Extra comprehensive travel insurance
- Concierge Service
- Price protection insurance
- GlobeCard Premium MasterCard without extra fee.
I think I may have an exception. Once upon time they used to provide SK Gold card and after that was dropped, I made a complaint and received the AY Club card. There may be also some kind of evaluation on card use, which is quite extensive in my case. Practically use it for all leisure travel.

OT: Amex Plat will soon not be accepted in the US-Air-AA-lounges. At least in States that is going to take effect soon.

Last edited by TTL; Dec 12, 2013 at 2:11 am Reason: Added OT
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:22 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by TTL
I think I may have an exception. Once upon time they used to provide SK Gold card and after that was dropped, I made a complaint and received the AY Club card. There may be also some kind of evaluation on card use, which is quite extensive in my case. Practically use it for all leisure travel.

OT: Amex Plat will soon not be accepted in the US-Air-AA-lounges. At least in States that is going to take effect soon.
With amex plat you get two free priority pass cards that both allow a guest so the aa lounge may not be that bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.