Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair lost baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:33 pm

I'm flying GOT-HEL-VIE in a couple of days as part of a DONE4 trip - Anyone know if the are still baggage handling problems with Finnair to this date?

Would hate to loose the baggage with a tight schedule and 10+ more stops to go on the itenerary...

Cheers,
Andy
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by SEAndy
I'm flying GOT-HEL-VIE in a couple of days as part of a DONE4 trip - Anyone know if the are still baggage handling problems with Finnair to this date?

Would hate to loose the baggage with a tight schedule and 10+ more stops to go on the itenerary...

Cheers,
Andy
Good luck with that!

How long is your layover in HEL? They say the worst situation is for transit luggage, so time allowing you might be better off checking in first to HEL and once there again to VIE.

Of course MA (OW) flies directly from GOT to BUD and from there it's a short hop to VIE
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Good luck with that!

How long is your layover in HEL? They say the worst situation is for transit luggage, so time allowing you might be better off checking in first to HEL and once there again to VIE.
Oh Goody I have a 1.15 hour layover at 2pm on monday on my way from LHR to SYD...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I've got an 8 hour layover on the 18th (in from JFK out to HKG). Do you all think I should do the same? Any indication that J class bags are unaffected (whishful thinking, I'm sure)?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I've got an 8 hour layover on the 18th (in from JFK out to HKG). Do you all think I should do the same? Any indication that J class bags are unaffected (whishful thinking, I'm sure)?
Tag your bags to HEL only, Ryan. The situation is improving but the union guys are stubborn as can be so don't take the risk. You can store your luggage at the Airpro counter landside after arrivals.

新年好!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:41 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Make also your luggage look like nothing important, i.e. take away all kinds of priority badges. Those are the spesific targets for the communists.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
Tag your bags to HEL only, Ryan. The situation is improving but the union guys are stubborn as can be so don't take the risk. You can store your luggage at the Airpro counter landside after arrivals.

新年好!
Thanks. I'll do that. I'll probably just go and directly re-check it, as I have an overnight layover on the return, so I'll go exploring then (as much as one does in Helsinki in the winter, that is).
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTL
Make also your luggage look like nothing important, i.e. take away all kinds of priority badges. Those are the spesific targets for the communists.
Aren't you, hmm, oversimplifying the issue?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I'll do that. I'll probably just go and directly re-check it, as I have an overnight layover on the return, so I'll go exploring then (as much as one does in Helsinki in the winter, that is).
You seem to have missed the real fun: -20 centigrade daytime... now it's a measly -5
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You seem to have missed the real fun: -20 centigrade daytime... now it's a measly -5
I've been to Helsinki in the Summer and it is delightful.

Winter, I'm not so sure!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:45 pm

i am wondering if someone is still waiting for their lost baggages?

I have lost my bag since 27 th Dec, and I am still waiting...

They told me that they have sent my bag to the delivery company on 5th Jan. But i called the company and they said they haven't got my bag, then I kept telling the lady that my bag should be with them, and then the lady handed the phone to another guy, and the guy just simply said that they are trying their best to deliver the bags out and ask me to wait (refusing the check on my bag).

Anyone can ADVISE me on this?????? PLEASE. IM REALLY HELPLESS!

thanks....sigh*
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe there's a settlement?

http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/...e_1371159.html

Also, just to verify. If I do check my bag only as far as HEL, will I be able to re-check it for my HKG flight immediately upon arrival after clearing immigration and customs, of course (landing from JFK around 9:00 am)? I'd hate to go landside only to find out that I cannot get airside for several hours because they will not take my bag until later in the day)?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:09 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Also, just to verify. If I do check my bag only as far as HEL, will I be able to re-check it for my HKG flight immediately upon arrival after clearing immigration and customs, of course (landing from JFK around 9:00 am)? I'd hate to go landside only to find out that I cannot get airside for several hours because they will not take my bag until later in the day)?
I'm quite sure they'll take you bag no matter how early it is on the day of your onward travel. Sorry, cannot verify this 100% but in the worst case you can store you bag downstairs at T2 for a nominal fee, get airside, "enjoy" the AY lounge(s) and come back later to landside (immigration is a breeze) to check in the bag(s)...but really, I'm 99,99% sure they'll check you luggage in the morning already.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:16 am

Today are 3 days since I arrived in Budapest, from Helsinki, without baggage.
I was filled the form for lost baggages in 14 jan ...and now...i wait...and i wait.
Half an hour ago i heard that on the airport in Helsinki is strike....and nobody knows how long will take
I had important things in my baggage,not only expensive...but i had also my medicines there.
What can I do?Where to call?Where to go? I dont know
Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Deea76
Today are 3 days since I arrived in Budapest, from Helsinki, without baggage.
I was filled the form for lost baggages in 14 jan ...and now...i wait...and i wait.
Half an hour ago i heard that on the airport in Helsinki is strike....and nobody knows how long will take
I had important things in my baggage,not only expensive...but i had also my medicines there.
What can I do?Where to call?Where to go? I dont know
i am sorry to hear that. i am not sure about budapest, but there should be a helpline they've given you when u filed your report.

I've been waiting for my bag for....24days...still waiting. but there're many luckier cases out there..good luck to you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.