Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair lost baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:04 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Go ahead and try suggesting the same for AirBerlin, LiarAir, etc. They can survive without dedicadedly lazy ground handling, then why would not Finnair - at their home base?

Baggage handling is not exactly rocket science. Able and willing people lay around unemployed even now...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
So now there is apparenty a new strike threat by the union, but this time it would only affect domestic AY flights. Are those handled by a different company or is this another Barona related issue?

I'd expect the new CEO to go and talk with the unions and their obvious political backers in the left-wing parties to stop this madness. Thalassa is right to mention that treating workers without due respect is sure to backfire.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
Another lost bag from AY5 HEL - JFK on Sunday, Jan 3. Any updates on the backlog from Helsinki?

However, my case is more special - bag was checked all the way to JFK the day before and arrived in Helsinki on Saturday night, Jan 2. One would think 12+ hours would be enough to transfer it to next flight properly.

Last edited by yminev; Jan 4, 2010 at 7:08 pm
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:12 am

I travelled via Helsinki for Christmas to the UK and my bag didnt get returned to me until 10 days later, just as I was due to fly back. Couldnt get a response off Finnair, Global baggage services told me a different story everyday.....am still trying to figure out if the airline will reimburse me, given I had travlled from 30 degrees to 2 degrees and had to buy clothes......anyone know the entitlement and how to get it?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: LH Sen .BA Gold BMI Gold. Hilton Diamond. *wood Platinum
Lost Baggage

You may have seen my seperate subject re excess baggage chages to London from RVN of 22 Euros per kilo.

Guess what all 11 pieces I was bringing with me (end of season) have been lost. Not only have I paid them in excess of 2700 Euros for excess baggage they have lost the lot on 02 January and so far nothing.

Yes I expect all 11 pieces are sitting somewhere at HEL and no doubt they will eventually turn up.

The final irony is that I have a BA Gold Card with a UK address so even though I am actually staying in a hotel in the UK BA the last carrier of my routing see me as returning to the UK and not due any compensation payment for obtaining clothing etc.

Cest La Vie..

In the end you just go with the flow. Hell I feel mad that paying them the excess baggage they lose it.. Hell I feel the rate is totally wrong anyway and have to find some means of proving it but life is for living rather than getting depressed.

Santa
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
Back from a great weekend in Vienna. Of course AY (and more specifically the baggage handlers at HEL) made it less desirable.

Lost one (of two bags) on the outbound. Returned to hotel 50 hours later.

Lost the same bag on the homebound trip.

Connection time on the outbound was 5 hours. That should have been sufficient. On the homebound about 2 hours since the flight was delayed in order to get passengers AND LUGGAGE from Asia onboard. Yepp, their luggage made it and we who connected in HEL from Europe or Domestic flights lost our bag.

Unfortunately I have one upcoming longhaul trip with AY soon, but I'll do my best to avoid AY for a while after that.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
Unfortunately I have one upcoming longhaul trip with AY soon, but I'll do my best to avoid AY for a while after that.
Also considering moving all Asia - Europe flights to Cathay until this situation is credibly solved. No desire to be a guinea pig for Finnair - labour union relations.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:57 am

Lost baggage from Asia

My husband and I travelled to Manchester from Bangkok via Helsinki on 4 Jan 10 flights AY96 and AY 933 but our 2 bags did not arrive along with the bags of over 20 others on the Manchester flight. Remarkably there were lots of unclaimed bags from Helsinki on the turntable - presumably delayed baggage from earlier flights. Our baggage details on the Global site are incorrect and despite 2 emails they have not been changed. Do we wait? Do we send details to Helsinki or what?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:55 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
mavis - i'm with you. My luggage from helsinki to manchester has still not turned up. and it's been since 2nd Jan. The website is useless and the comments from the phone are as useless.

Last edited by helahela; Jan 7, 2010 at 4:04 am
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
Also considering moving all Asia - Europe flights to Cathay until this situation is credibly solved. No desire to be a guinea pig for Finnair - labour union relations.
QF is also ok - and better if you want to credit AA. Unfortunatly most of their flights connects via LHR, which is another area of pain.

Oneworld have really been hit with some bad situations lately. Poor weather at LHR, strike threat at BA, downgrades at BA, strike at AY, baggage misery at HEL, strike threat at IB...
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:55 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
^

Make sure you'll let AY know what you are doing! FF customers going to other airlines should be the "last call" for AY to really get their act together!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:02 pm

And now there is a notice on finnair.com/info about this.

Disruption in baggage delivery

Delayed baggage
The baggage handling system at Helsinki Airport is congested.
If your baggage does not arrive with you on the same flight, we will deliver it as soon as possible to the address you provide to us.
Yeah, right!

I also get upset by this phrase:

We recommend that passengers take comprehensive baggage insurance before they travel.
My bolding. Why should the insurance companies pay the burden of this? You should of course have insurance especially if travelling with something very valuable. But the rest is ......... It is their responsibility to get the baggage to me and pay if they don't.

Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:05 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN

My bolding. Why should the insurance companies pay the burden of this? You should of course have insurance especially if travelling with something very valuable. But the rest is ......... It is their responsibility to get the baggage to me and pay if they don't.

I was thinking the same when I saw that on their webpage.. unbelievable statement from an airline.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
^

Make sure you'll let AY know what you are doing! FF customers going to other airlines should be the "last call" for AY to really get their act together!
When time permits I will contact customer support and ask them to tell me WHY I should fly AY via HEL and how they plan to compensate passengers for this situation.

I probably won't be able to cancel my AY Asian flight next week but I let all my collegaues know about the lost luggage today.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I was thinking the same when I saw that on their webpage.. unbelievable statement from an airline.
Another case of AY PR making a bad situation worse...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.