Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
They are Chase Ultimate Rewards pts, and in fact they are worth at least 25-50% MORE (depending on if you have the Chase Sapphire Reserved card and/or transfer your UR pts into Hyatt/UAL pts) than the Fairmont/Chase "Funny Money" pts, that were really only worth 1% back. They charged you the $95 annual fee because they are converting you into another Chase card with an identical $95 annual fee. I would assume if you don't want the Sapphire Preferred then you can probably get a refund of your annual fee (or at least a pro-rated refund).
We really love this card because of the status perks.... in fact, we've never used a single one of the redemptions, but have cashed in all of the room, suite and gold upgrade certs and most of the free nights. Totally worth it on that alone! The points thing just doesn't seems like the same value.... we stayed a week in a room that runs 850/night for 330/night and used certs. That's $3500 in value and we didn't even burn points. (not to mention it was an amazeballs room)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: FPC Platinum, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by mhdena
No just apply for the CSP now, and when they PC your Fairmont, get a Freedom.
I took this advice and applied for CSP a couple of days ago to try and get the bonus. Said it would go to a mail decision within 30 days. But I logged in today and it shows up in addition to my Fairmont card. Just confirming this would be the new one I signed up for, and hence I am eligible for the bonus? Other people who did not sign up are not showing the switch already, correct?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Nobody gets switched before Aug 15
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by optimas
I took this advice and applied for CSP a couple of days ago to try and get the bonus. Said it would go to a mail decision within 30 days. But I logged in today and it shows up in addition to my Fairmont card. Just confirming this would be the new one I signed up for, and hence I am eligible for the bonus? Other people who did not sign up are not showing the switch already, correct?
You're in the exact same position I am in. I think this means that the CSP was approved separate of the Fairmont stuff and we are eligible for the 50k points bonus. I assume that the Fairmont card will now become a freedom for us.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:49 am

so it looks like my anniversary date is on August 9th. Let the 2017 Fairmont Card MS games begin. May the odds ever be in my favor.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by curl
THIS! Fairmont had my loyalty with the certs that came along with the card. I can get some with Premier, but the Gold upgrade cert was the best.
Oh yeah... I forgot about that... crap. It just really burns me up that I put in 100 nights a year at my local Fairmont and can't get in the lounge. My Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, and SPG status all get me in no problem.

I see Accors allows Platinums in the lounge, so here's hoping for that to go into effect for 2018.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
No answer to question 1 yet. Here's an answer for question 2:
"The sign up bonus offer is only available on new credit
card applications and not on accounts which are product
changed. So, if we switch your current Fairmont Visa
Signature® Credit Card to the Chase Sapphire Preferred
card, you will not be eligible for the sign up bonus
offer. "
so what I'm not sure about is: "you will not be eligible for the sign up bonus offer".

I would assume they mean for the switched product card (the CSP for the Fairmont). They aren't giving you the bonus.

However, if you apply for the CSP card later after you cancelled this product change card, can you still apply on your own and get the bonus? Since you never had the bonus ever?

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, didn't bother with the Preferred, since the Reserve is a much better card and I qualified for it.

Also, they consider these two cards different products right? (even though they are both Chase Sapphire cards).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by lbotez
so what I'm not sure about is: "you will not be eligible for the sign up bonus offer".

I would assume they mean for the switched product card (the CSP for the Fairmont). They aren't giving you the bonus.

However, if you apply for the CSP card later after you cancelled this product change card, can you still apply on your own and get the bonus? Since you never had the bonus ever?

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, didn't bother with the Preferred, since the Reserve is a much better card and I qualified for it.

Also, they consider these two cards different products right? (even though they are both Chase Sapphire cards).
I'd refer to some of the prior posts but I think your best bet is to sign up for CSP now before the Fairmont card is canceled if you want the sign up bonus.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nock
I'd refer to some of the prior posts but I think your best bet is to sign up for CSP now before the Fairmont card is canceled if you want the sign up bonus.
Some of us are at/over 5/24 and don't have that option. I confirmed with 2 different Chase reps (in the credit dept., not regular reps) that this will not preclude you from applying for a CSP at anytime in the future and getting the sign up bonus. The rule is that you cannot currently hold the card and/or cannot have received the sign up bonus within the previous 2 years. Not that you can have had the card within 24 months, you just can't have received the sign up bonus. As we are not receiving a sign up bonus on this (it is just a product change), we are fine. Just cancel or downgrade the CSP you get in August (if you keep it) before you apply for a new one.

Verbage from the CSP application:
"This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months."
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lbotez

Preferred = 50k UR + 5kUR for AU. No AF year one.

Some bother alright. Its much easier to refer for 10K UR points than any other Chase card as well.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:22 pm

Thanks Brendan. I'll definitely get a quote from them. They were at the top of my list anyhow. I think they offer a special alumnus discount for my alma mater.
Liberty mutual came in a lot higher than Amica, so I'm going to check:

* USAA - I see they write 12 month policies and take plastic; I have an account due to wife's dad having served in the military

* Others... ? Don't know who else is a good quality insurer who'll also write 12 month policies and take credit cards for up front full payment
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by nock
I concur with nock.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:27 pm

I know this isn't an MS forum, but could you give a few MS examples that still work? My easy way of meeting 3K spends, paying mortgage via Plastiq, is now prohibited. Not really MS, but one of my go-to methods if I don't expect organic spend to meet a bonus threshold.
The bloggers may be partially wrong. I seem to have been able to make a payment on my mortgage today (a smaller bank) using the Fairmont Visa. On the thread below, I was advised to set my cash advance limit to as low as they'd allow.

They'd only to go $20 and that takes 24 to 48 hours to process. I immediately had them lower my credit limit such that 20% of an amount less than my mortgage payment. That's evidently how Chase calculates your cash advance limit, at least for this card and at least according to the CSR--20% of your credit line.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post28475603
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
* Others... ? Don't know who else is a good quality insurer who'll also write 12 month policies and take credit cards for up front full payment
AAA does, but I don't know if they operate in NC. (They didn't when I was a student at UNC.)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
Preferred = 50k UR + 5kUR for AU. No AF year one.

Some bother alright. Its much easier to refer for 10K UR points than any other Chase card as well.
Well, I got 100K UR points for signing up for the Reserve, and Preferred was only 50K. I get 1.5X for UR on flights, I think the Preferred is 1.25X ? And you get 3 points for travel and dining purchases and the Preferred is 2. The Reserve is $450 with a $300 travel credit -- ends up costing $150, while the Preferred is $95. There are also the lounges and whatever; can't remember if they come with both cards.

They charge $75 for an AU on the Reserve card, which I think is a bit stupid on Chase's part; but we decided to get one Reserve card each for the bonus. Probably will ditch one when the renewal comes up.

My spouse can sign up for another card, but I'm under 5/24 until January. So maybe we'll get the Sapphire Preferred (again for the bonus). $50K is a pretty good bonus; might as well grab it now; don't want to wait 2 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.