Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I didn't realize Red Ventures owns EF too.
They even lumped it with Imagitas.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
They even lumped it with Imagitas.
Oh no, not Imagitas! (I had no idea what that was until googling it). I'm not an expert on corporate structure but have to imagine EF is under that corporate name because of some way they structured the acquisition (it is a bit catchier name than MH Sub I LLC here), and not that it has anything to do with that other acquisition that seems completely unrelated. But let me know if changing my address with the postal service can give me a discount on EF. EF has been one of my favorite tools for years and it's continued to pay off for me. Hopefully Red Ventures will make it look a bit prettier and that's about it. Seems like they're keeping it pretty independent, as the EF Facebook account rarely if ever shares any TPG content.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
I have been on a hotel press junket where every room was comped, including mine, but the TPG reporter paid. I know as we checked out together.

What I don’t get is how you link this with the fact that you can, I am told by airline contacts, pay TPG a VERY substantial sum to be a preferred partner to get guaranteed CEO podcasts, positive reviews etc.
So why don't you also pay for your room? Just wondering what the different stance is.

And who is paying TPG or any other blogs for positive reviews? Spill the names. Aside from Delta, I'm pretty sure every other airline gets trashed as much as it gets praised (well maybe AA gets trashed more than praised), Each TPG writer or other blogs all together seem to have their preferred airline but I don't think I've seen anything where a blogger has switched their stance on what airline they prefer. Hell, Lucky and Gary continue to fly AA while trashing them non-stop (rightfully so most of the time), but it's not like that does anything to stop them from flogging AA cards.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stuck720
So why don't you also pay for your room? Just wondering what the different stance is.

And who is paying TPG or any other blogs for positive reviews? Spill the names. Aside from Delta, I'm pretty sure every other airline gets trashed as much as it gets praised (well maybe AA gets trashed more than praised), Each TPG writer or other blogs all together seem to have their preferred airline but I don't think I've seen anything where a blogger has switched their stance on what airline they prefer. Hell, Lucky and Gary continue to fly AA while trashing them non-stop (rightfully so most of the time), but it's not like that does anything to stop them from flogging AA cards.
The Points Guy awards is payment for positive coverage, too.
Most of the "trashing" comes from the 14 yo monkeys who write nonsense flight reviews rating the flights a 43.236 because they've been on planes twice before.
The coverage of the "industry" skews pollyannishly positive. The lack of easy differentiation between advertising content and "reporting" makes anything positive said completely untrustworthy. Any so-called journalist who writes for the site should lose the ability to call themselves one
diburning and zeer0 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
At least TPG has hired lots of actual journalists of late.

I believe for flights like Project Sunrise, where tickets aren't available to the general public, TPG gets an estimated cash value and makes a donation to one of the causes they support.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
At least TPG has hired lots of actual journalists of late.

I believe for flights like Project Sunrise, where tickets aren't available to the general public, TPG gets an estimated cash value and makes a donation to one of the causes they support.
I think you mean actual *former* journalists
84fiero and katstarr like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Glamour & hard sales pitch talent wanted

https://thepointsguy.com/news/the-po...e-paying-them/

note it doesn't describe worshipping at the altar of creditcard and the despair of inserting as many affiliate links as possible while watching for the looming doom of the upcoming recession and swayed public opinion of flight shaming
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HadesNL

note it doesn't describe worshipping at the altar of creditcard and the despair of inserting as many affiliate links as possible while watching for the looming doom of the upcoming recession and swayed public opinion of flight shaming
Shouldn't the recession make things more profitable for card companies? Chase doesn't really make money on the reserve since people are too well-off and aren't holding balances generally. If the people approved for the reserve are still well off, just not as much as before, Chase should start finally making money. Unless a card company has been approving sub prime credit, I don't think this is going away any time soon.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by stuck720
Shouldn't the recession make things more profitable for card companies? Chase doesn't really make money on the reserve since people are too well-off and aren't holding balances generally. If the people approved for the reserve are still well off, just not as much as before, Chase should start finally making money. Unless a card company has been approving sub prime credit, I don't think this is going away any time soon.
Unemployed people don't get the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Last edited by Adam1222; Dec 25, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Unemployed people don't get the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
I'm not sure that unemployment going from 3% to even 10% would kill the business model. But we'll wait and see how the credit card business and affiliate blog model survives over the next few years. All of the major bloggers likely have enough money stashed away to personally do well if the model goes south. It didn't take long during the time coming out of the recession that the banks realized that rewards cards targeted at higher income, higher credit consumers was a good path to recovery. While there might be a dip in what percent of the population has the required credit score or income profile, these consumers are more valuable when things are in turmoil.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Hope he got a prenup.
Lol
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by HadesNL

OK so which one of us has a kid in college who can apply for one of these summer internships? I'm really curious what interns would actually end up doing, aside from what the ad claims they'll do.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
OK so which one of us has a kid in college who can apply for one of these summer internships? I'm really curious what interns would actually end up doing, aside from what the ad claims they'll do.
Shilling for credit cards.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Now that OMAAT has supported publicly a "green" initiative https://onemileatatime.com/trees - do we expect TPG to react with a "greener" initiative. We know that he supports charities(which are handy credit card expenses and tax deductibles) but he might be lagging in promoting his environmentally friendly affiliate links, credit cards and corporate connections.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:35 pm

It appears that the press has finally caught on to what some of us have known for years about Mr. Kelly. I don't have full access to the story, but the screenshots comport with what I know first-hand hand and have heard second- hand

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...pending-2020-3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.