FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1649614-inside-flyer-magazine-stop-publishing-relaunches-online-q4-2015-a.html)

GUWonder Oct 2, 2015 3:53 pm

"Building the first global (local language) network for road warriors / frequent flyers."

ASW for travelers?

sbm12 Oct 2, 2015 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25510375)
Interesting, so I'm guessing other foreign language sites will be part of the new conglomeration as well

Yup...all consolidating into one. Even managed to buy out a couple other global sites to fold into the mix. After three years of insisting that distinct language markets need separate content it seems that things are finally coming back to where they probably should've been when the whole menagerie launched in the first place.

GUWonder Oct 2, 2015 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25510444)
Yup...all consolidating into one. Even managed to buy out a couple other global sites to fold into the mix. After three years of insisting that distinct language markets need separate content it seems that things are finally coming back to where they probably should've been when the whole menagerie launched in the first place.

Given the advance of auto-translation tools, pooling them together makes more sense now than even before. Then again, English is sort of like the international lingua franca for "road warriors/frequent travelers" who cross international borders.

GUWonder Oct 2, 2015 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25510410)
"Building the first global (local language) network for road warriors / frequent flyers."

ASW for travelers?

This quote was from September 29th.

sbm12 Oct 2, 2015 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25510491)
Given the advance of auto-translation tools, pooling them together makes more sense now than even before. Then again, English is sort of like the international lingua franca for "road warriors/frequent travelers" who cross international borders.

I'm not so sure about auto-translation stuff. I know some of the blog content is going to have manual translation as part of the efforts.

GUWonder Oct 2, 2015 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25510504)
I'm not so sure about auto-translation stuff. I know some of the blog content is going to have manual translation as part of the efforts.

So much of the manual translations I encounter now exhibit signs of auto-translation errors that I wouldn't be surprised if they do manual translations assisted by auto-translations (inclusive of auto-translations assisted by manual translation revisions).

Is there some kind of communication embargo involved here? It seems like details are trickling out but not the whole sharing thing. :D

84fiero Oct 2, 2015 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25510504)

So does this indicate that someone at IF is supposed to be, for lack of a better term, actively managing cross-flow of useful information among the different language (or other) components of the overall entity?

Curious what the selling point to members will be as far as what having all these sites owned together will bring to the table. Some aspects of loyalty programs and travel are geographically specific (special offers, for example) while other aspects are potentially useful pretty much anywhere.

The selling point to advertisers and sponsors is obvious, so long as the site visits and all that other stuff holds up. I note at the bottom of Insideflyer.nl there is a "sponsored by Emirates" though perhaps that was part of the original entity.

sbm12 Oct 2, 2015 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25510739)
though perhaps that was part of the original entity.

I do not believe it was.

GUWonder Oct 2, 2015 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25510739)
So does this indicate that someone at IF is supposed to be, for lack of a better term, actively managing cross-flow of useful information among the different language (or other) components of the overall entity?

Curious what the selling point to members will be as far as what having all these sites owned together will bring to the table. Some aspects of loyalty programs and travel are geographically specific (special offers, for example) while other aspects are potentially useful pretty much anywhere.

The selling point to advertisers and sponsors is obvious, so long as the site visits and all that other stuff holds up. I note at the bottom of Insideflyer.nl there is a "sponsored by Emirates" though perhaps that was part of the original entity.

I always found it curious how little of some very good information from some Chinese, Scandinavian, German, Brazilian and Australian forums make it onto FT, even as some of that info can be hugely useful for US-based consumers.

MP couldn't be made big enough before, and this "going global" is a way to get it there? It seems so, and if it is, that's good news for me -- especially if the Chinese stuff can be pulled together too.

kokonutz Oct 2, 2015 6:24 pm

Well this explains why Tommy has been bouncing around Europe this week, I guess.

I still don't really see the value proposition of a multi-national Frequent Business Travel combined with Boarding Area II.

Then again, this 'launch' is a bit of a CF, so I suppose I should be patient.

nsx Oct 2, 2015 6:57 pm

I just found a live version of the new InsideFlyer site!

Click here to see the fabulous functionality!

:D:D:D

84fiero Oct 2, 2015 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 25510995)
I just found a live version of the new InsideFlyer site!

Click here to see the fabulous functionality!

:D:D:D

I'm spellbound!

Kagehitokiri Oct 2, 2015 7:22 pm

http://frequentflyerservices.com/network/

we’ll be another few hours.
a couple hours ago

84fiero Oct 2, 2015 7:27 pm

BA blog You Have Been Upgraded lists some other variants of Insideflyer: insideflyer.no which seems to be running; Insideflyer.de which just has an announcement page and of course the .com site

http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...s-insideflyer/

kokonutz Oct 2, 2015 7:47 pm

Following an email I just got, apparently the new inside flyer is some sort of points and miles program consolidator/facebook wannabe?????

http://content.screencast.com/users/...10-02_2146.png

This, to me, is a service in search of a purpose in the world of program mobile apps.

Am I missing something?

And...fwiw, no way in heck am I trusting IF with my program logons and passwords!!!!