FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1649614-inside-flyer-magazine-stop-publishing-relaunches-online-q4-2015-a.html)

kokonutz Jan 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015]

http://insideflyer.boardingarea.com/...ersen-retires/

Although I last subscribed to IF in like 1999 (his own creation, FlyerTalk, made it pretty redundant to me), if it weren't for Randy none of us would be reading this today.

Quite a legacy.

Congratulations on an amazing publishing career and much continued happiness in your digital ventures and retirement, amigo! Keep that RV revving!!! ^

wharvey Jan 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Hard to say the words "retired" and Randy together.

I learned about Flyertalk almost 15 years ago when I saw Randy on a news show.

The rest is history!

SanDiego1K Jan 26, 2015 3:16 pm

I don't think he's retiring. He just won't be publishing the magazine any more. And yes, the magazine was the predecessor to FlyerTalk, thus being in our genealogical history. Randy has done a fine job across all the years, sensing where the market will go next. First the magazine, then FlyerTalk, and now a blogging platform that gets from 150K to 200K views a day. He is a true visionary.

thezipper Jan 26, 2015 4:08 pm

I don't believe he's "retiring" either... We all know how many irons he has in the fire. I appreciate him giving me and another Flyertalker the chance to write a guest piece on Northwest Airlines for IF back in 2004... wow I am dating myself too! My bet is that we'll see Randy on some holographic channel in the next ten years!

GUWonder Jan 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper (Post 24238701)
I don't believe he's "retiring" either... We all know how many irons he has in the fire. I appreciate him giving me and another Flyertalker the chance to write a guest piece on Northwest Airlines for IF back in 2004... wow I am dating myself too! My bet is that we'll see Randy on some holographic channel in the next ten years!

I wish him the best of luck, happiness and health in his retirement.

Inside Flyer's child -- this place -- has given me a lot, and for that I am very thankful to Randy Petersen.

By the way, Richard Quest (an FTer) has been talking to him again. CNN has (or will have) a piece that has him on it again.

sdsearch Feb 2, 2015 12:14 pm

What happens to existing subscriptions / just recently renewed subscriptions?

And will it continue in some form online?

None of this was answered in the February issue that announced the end of "publication".

And, btw, the January issue said that the March international issue (which will now never be "published") would feature Cathay.

kokonutz Feb 2, 2015 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 24278728)
What happens to existing subscriptions / just recently renewed subscriptions?

And will it continue in some form online?

None of this was answered in the February issue that announced the end of "publication".

And, btw, the January issue said that the March international issue (which will now never be "published") would feature Cathay.

You want to ask those questions here: http://www.insideflyer.com/aboutus/contactus.php

AndrewM Feb 10, 2015 7:28 pm

Conguratulations!!!

I am very lucky to be a member of this amazing community. 15 years and counting!
Thanks Randy and Flyertalk!!!

oliver2002 Sep 10, 2015 12:30 am

...and it seems to be back again:

http://insideflyer.com/

The last issue of InsideFlyer magazine was in February of 2015 and in that issue's editorial, Publisher/Editor Randy Petersen wrote this proclamation, “While this may be the last printed issue of InsideFlyer magazine, its brand will likely face that famous footnote of the digital universe—“pivot”—and will continue to influence, support and provide a resource for many more frequent flyers to come”.

On Friday, October 2, we’ll all find out what he meant by that statement.

Raffles Sep 10, 2015 3:45 am

Yes, it will be back.

But as in the cycle of life, when something is born something must die .....

sbm12 Sep 10, 2015 7:22 am

The name is coming back, not the magazine. It is an interesting play. I'm intrigued but cautious about it as well.

Raffles Sep 10, 2015 10:49 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25404305)
The name is coming back, not the magazine. It is an interesting play. I'm intrigued but cautious about it as well.

To give Randy and Tommy credit, their ability to constantly reinvent how they serve their constituency is very impressive.

I like the vision here but fear for the cost base. And the logic behind it - that serving only 'hobbyists' is for losers, effectively - is sound. TPG and to a lesser extent MMS made that clear.

84fiero Sep 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 25405396)
To give Randy and Tommy credit, their ability to constantly reinvent how they serve their constituency is very impressive.

I like the vision here but fear for the cost base. And the logic behind it - that serving only 'hobbyists' is for losers, effectively - is sound. TPG and to a lesser extent MMS made that clear.

You mean things like MilePoint, which is just FlyerTalk with a sexier look but without the content? Or a blog conglomeration like Boarding Area where one can read twenty times about the latest SPG AMEX?

Raffles Sep 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25405860)
You mean things like MilePoint, which is just FlyerTalk with a sexier look but without the content? Or a blog conglomeration like Boarding Area where one can read twenty times about the latest SPG AMEX?

I do genuinely find the BA home page the single best place to go online for an 30 second overview of what is going on.

I wasn't thinking of Milepoint when I made my comment - it was worth a try though, you can't blame them for trying.

GUWonder Sep 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 25405993)
I do genuinely find the BA home page the single best place to go online for an 30 second overview of what is going on.

I wasn't thinking of Milepoint when I made my comment - it was worth a try though, you can't blame them for trying.

Milepoint helped keep Randy Petersen in the game a bit more than may have otherwise taken place; and that in itself may have been very useful for D/G/P to get a bigger piece of this loyalty program pie than they would otherwise land. I was hoping Milepoint would succeed (and in some way it may have), but I was pretty sure that MP wouldn't be able to be a content leader since critical mass was already on FT and would be difficult to reach on MP.

I agree in full with the notion that the bigger money from loyalty program/travel coverage is to be had by diversifying into a broader market segment than just those fishing for the lowest CPM travel to maximize miles/points earned from travel for travel.

Kagehitokiri Sep 10, 2015 2:40 pm

MP was just because he was out at FT

GUWonder Sep 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 25406554)
MP was just because he was out at FT

Indeed.

JetAway Sep 10, 2015 4:24 pm

I rarely check MP anymore (and I'm a Premium member). Seems to be dying a slow death.

kokonutz Sep 14, 2015 10:28 am

Re-brand MilePoint as Inside Flyer as part of a brand creation?

Here's the thing: the entire frequent flyer game is dying a slow death.

Anyone who wants to survive in this space long-term is going to have to move beyond the points and miles paradigm.

And while Randy's horizon may be shorter than his track record, Tommy is clearly looking toward the long-play.

kokonutz Sep 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Randy says on Facebook that his new venture suffered a DDOS attack today. And that is was carried out by his competitors.

Do we know what the venture is yet?

Is this related to the malware littered all over Boarding Area that they can't seem to get rid of?

Kagehitokiri Sep 17, 2015 5:51 pm

competitors??

nsx Sep 17, 2015 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25423291)
Here's the thing: the entire frequent flyer game is dying a slow death.

Anyone who wants to survive in this space long-term is going to have to move beyond the points and miles paradigm.

The death of the FF game is a LOT slower than I ever expected it to be. What I did not see coming 15 or 20 years ago was the ability to accrue so very many points through the incomprehensible generosity of credit card issuers toward churners, or that this clearly unsustainable generosity would continue for well over a decade.

The real gold mine in travel is TripAdvisor. Supplant them and you will make hundreds of millions of dollars. And let's face it: TripAdvisor reviews have a lot of deficiencies, not the least of which is inability of customers to engage in conversations about properties.

GUWonder Sep 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 25441879)
competitors??

Which competitors, and located where?

GUWonder Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 25442035)
The death of the FF game is a LOT slower than I ever expected it to be. What I did not see coming 15 or 20 years ago was the ability to accrue so very many points through the incomprehensible generosity of credit card issuers toward churners, or that this clearly unsustainable generosity would continue for well over a decade.

The real gold mine in travel is TripAdvisor. Supplant them and you will make hundreds of millions of dollars. And let's face it: TripAdvisor reviews have a lot of deficiencies, not the least of which is inability of customers to engage in conversations about properties.

Hotel reviews have been on MP team's radar for quite some time. It also seems to possibly have been on IB's radar as they created a forum called "Expert Hotel Reviews" on FT.

oliver2002 Sep 18, 2015 6:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25442726)
Which competitors, and located where?

https://twitter.com/ranflyer/status/644609011426422784

Weird... DDOS attacks are commonplace nowadays, FT got one Sep 2.

sbm12 Sep 18, 2015 8:49 am

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you. ;)

kokonutz Sep 18, 2015 9:10 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25442734)
Hotel reviews have been on MP team's radar for quite some time. It also seems to possibly have been on IB's radar as they created a forum called "Expert Hotel Reviews" on FT.

Sure, but for all of TA's deficiencies, it has the advantage of crowd-sourcing.

And for elites, there is no better review source than the FT hotel forums.

A marginally better mouse-trap in that space would be nothing more than a content-less MilePoint alternative to FlyerTalk.

It's gotta be something bigger than that!

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25444246)
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you. ;)

It's a bizarre claim.

I mean, I'm no IT Sith Lord, but how can you have a denial of service attack on a service that is not yet functional!?

nsx Sep 18, 2015 9:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 25443646)
DDOS attacks are commonplace nowadays, FT got one Sep 2.

I can't understand why anyone would spend the effort and resources to attack FT or Internet Brands as if they were some evil empire. The few people (and governments) sufficiently capable to execute cyber attacks are not normally irrational.

I suppose there is the motive of ransom payments, but I presume that IB like other companies refuses to start down the slope of paying extortionists. By now, criminals must know which companies will pay and which companies won't, so there's no need to waste effort on the companies who won't pay.

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25444355)
I mean, I'm no IT Sith Lord, but how can you have a denial of service attack on a service that is not yet functional!?

A DDOS attack on a new site could be an effort to learn whether or not its owners will pay the ransom. Or it could be a demonstration of capability in preparation for a future ransom demand.

84fiero Sep 18, 2015 9:56 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 25443646)
https://twitter.com/ranflyer/status/644609011426422784

Weird... DDOS attacks are commonplace nowadays, FT got one Sep 2.

I guess, not knowing exactly what this new venture is, hard to know what entities would be "competitors", but... based on MilePoint, I don't know that the competition is exactly shaking in their boots.

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25444355)
It's a bizarre claim.

Well, a lot of people may be visiting the countdown clock on a regular basis!

Is a DDoS really something reputable companies like IB, TA, etc. engage in? Maybe it is, I just have no idea about this stuff.

kokonutz Sep 18, 2015 10:05 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25444613)
Well, a lot of people may be visiting the countdown clock on a regular basis!

That's my point! To have a denial of service there must be a service to be denied. What service is being denied other than the opportunity to look at a count-down clock!?!?!?

Given how infected Boarding Area is, the KISS principle would suggest operator error. @:-)

84fiero Sep 18, 2015 10:36 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25444648)
That's my point! To have a denial of service there must be a service to be denied. What service is being denied other than the opportunity to look at a count-down clock!?!?!?

Given how infected Boarding Area is, the KISS principle would suggest operator error. @:-)

Seems like the simplest explanation anyway

GUWonder Sep 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 25444377)
The few people (and governments) sufficiently capable to execute cyber attacks are not normally irrational.

Developed tastes can't be normally irrational or otherwise perceived as normally irrational by the normally rational?

Bridges and trolls.

sbm12 Sep 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Presumably this is related:

We're about to look different.

Join the celebration as Milepoint becomes what it was always meant to be. It's our time to upgrade the online experience for road warriors / frequent flyers and if you have the miles, the time, the interest and ability to be close to New York City on Friday night, October 23, I'd like to thank you personally for your support and take the time to explain the path that Milepoint has taken.

Milepoint will never be the same ... and if you are interested, Y-E-S, we'll announce the new third tier of membership.

If it works for you, please go here and register:

http://goo.gl/forms/OfVwENxVjp
If not, no worries as there will be plenty of information online to guide you through the new Milepoint.

And here's to nothing less than a good weekend ahead for you.

Cheers,
Randy Petersen
co-founder, Milepoint

Canarsie Sep 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 25444377)
I suppose there is the motive of ransom payments, but I presume that IB like other companies refuses to start down the slope of paying extortionists.

There is no need to presume, as I know this from personal experience.

kokonutz Sep 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25446421)
Presumably this is related:

Join the celebration as Milepoint becomes what it was always meant to be.
Successful? :eek:

[ducking!]

84fiero Sep 19, 2015 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post 25447240)
There is no need to presume, as I know this from personal experience.

So how much did you try to extort from IB? :D

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25447299)
Successful? :eek:

[ducking!]

Ouch! They did kinda set themselves up for that :)

I'm mildly curious what the "new MP" (or is it going to be renamed Inside Flyer?) is supposedly turning into. The only unique thing that popped into my head was having read something where RP mentioned that the Milepoint name had been conceived some time ago as the name for a sight that would have operated similar to what Points.com does. Though it seems like it would be difficult to be a new entrant in that arena.

If the change is just a new outer shell or site design I'm not sure it would make any real difference.

Canarsie Sep 19, 2015 10:05 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25448732)
So how much did you try to extort from IB? :D

Ha!

That is funny; and I can see how it can be read that way!

I do know that the extortionist in question — not me, just to be clear — quietly backed down after unsuccessfully attempting to extract a few thousand dollars...

kokonutz Sep 19, 2015 10:44 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25448732)
Ouch! They did kinda set themselves up for that :)

I feel a little guilty hitting that hanging curve ball on Randy's birthday. :o

I'm mildly curious what the "new MP" (or is it going to be renamed Inside Flyer?) is supposedly turning into. The only unique thing that popped into my head was having read something where RP mentioned that the Milepoint name had been conceived some time ago as the name for a sight that would have operated similar to what Points.com does. Though it seems like it would be difficult to be a new entrant in that arena.

If the change is just a new outer shell or site design I'm not sure it would make any real difference.
And will Gary and Ed continue to be 'co-founders,' or will this be a Randy-Tommy Joint?

nsx Sep 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 25403184)
...and it seems to be back again:

http://insideflyer.com/

Weird. No more countdown clock. Just a blank Wordpress page.

Kagehitokiri Sep 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 25442035)
TripAdvisor reviews have a lot of deficiencies, not the least of which is inability of customers to engage in conversations about properties.

and they lock threads after 6 months, and they delete user content

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25442734)
IB's radar as they created a forum called "Expert Hotel Reviews" on FT.

and they started asking members about converting old reviews in april 2014