FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1649614-inside-flyer-magazine-stop-publishing-relaunches-online-q4-2015-a.html)

kokonutz Jan 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015]

http://insideflyer.boardingarea.com/...ersen-retires/

Although I last subscribed to IF in like 1999 (his own creation, FlyerTalk, made it pretty redundant to me), if it weren't for Randy none of us would be reading this today.

Quite a legacy.

Congratulations on an amazing publishing career and much continued happiness in your digital ventures and retirement, amigo! Keep that RV revving!!! ^

wharvey Jan 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Hard to say the words "retired" and Randy together.

I learned about Flyertalk almost 15 years ago when I saw Randy on a news show.

The rest is history!

SanDiego1K Jan 26, 2015 3:16 pm

I don't think he's retiring. He just won't be publishing the magazine any more. And yes, the magazine was the predecessor to FlyerTalk, thus being in our genealogical history. Randy has done a fine job across all the years, sensing where the market will go next. First the magazine, then FlyerTalk, and now a blogging platform that gets from 150K to 200K views a day. He is a true visionary.

thezipper Jan 26, 2015 4:08 pm

I don't believe he's "retiring" either... We all know how many irons he has in the fire. I appreciate him giving me and another Flyertalker the chance to write a guest piece on Northwest Airlines for IF back in 2004... wow I am dating myself too! My bet is that we'll see Randy on some holographic channel in the next ten years!

GUWonder Jan 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper (Post 24238701)
I don't believe he's "retiring" either... We all know how many irons he has in the fire. I appreciate him giving me and another Flyertalker the chance to write a guest piece on Northwest Airlines for IF back in 2004... wow I am dating myself too! My bet is that we'll see Randy on some holographic channel in the next ten years!

I wish him the best of luck, happiness and health in his retirement.

Inside Flyer's child -- this place -- has given me a lot, and for that I am very thankful to Randy Petersen.

By the way, Richard Quest (an FTer) has been talking to him again. CNN has (or will have) a piece that has him on it again.

sdsearch Feb 2, 2015 12:14 pm

What happens to existing subscriptions / just recently renewed subscriptions?

And will it continue in some form online?

None of this was answered in the February issue that announced the end of "publication".

And, btw, the January issue said that the March international issue (which will now never be "published") would feature Cathay.

kokonutz Feb 2, 2015 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 24278728)
What happens to existing subscriptions / just recently renewed subscriptions?

And will it continue in some form online?

None of this was answered in the February issue that announced the end of "publication".

And, btw, the January issue said that the March international issue (which will now never be "published") would feature Cathay.

You want to ask those questions here: http://www.insideflyer.com/aboutus/contactus.php

AndrewM Feb 10, 2015 7:28 pm

Conguratulations!!!

I am very lucky to be a member of this amazing community. 15 years and counting!
Thanks Randy and Flyertalk!!!

oliver2002 Sep 10, 2015 12:30 am

...and it seems to be back again:

http://insideflyer.com/

The last issue of InsideFlyer magazine was in February of 2015 and in that issue's editorial, Publisher/Editor Randy Petersen wrote this proclamation, “While this may be the last printed issue of InsideFlyer magazine, its brand will likely face that famous footnote of the digital universe—“pivot”—and will continue to influence, support and provide a resource for many more frequent flyers to come”.

On Friday, October 2, we’ll all find out what he meant by that statement.

Raffles Sep 10, 2015 3:45 am

Yes, it will be back.

But as in the cycle of life, when something is born something must die .....

sbm12 Sep 10, 2015 7:22 am

The name is coming back, not the magazine. It is an interesting play. I'm intrigued but cautious about it as well.

Raffles Sep 10, 2015 10:49 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25404305)
The name is coming back, not the magazine. It is an interesting play. I'm intrigued but cautious about it as well.

To give Randy and Tommy credit, their ability to constantly reinvent how they serve their constituency is very impressive.

I like the vision here but fear for the cost base. And the logic behind it - that serving only 'hobbyists' is for losers, effectively - is sound. TPG and to a lesser extent MMS made that clear.

84fiero Sep 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 25405396)
To give Randy and Tommy credit, their ability to constantly reinvent how they serve their constituency is very impressive.

I like the vision here but fear for the cost base. And the logic behind it - that serving only 'hobbyists' is for losers, effectively - is sound. TPG and to a lesser extent MMS made that clear.

You mean things like MilePoint, which is just FlyerTalk with a sexier look but without the content? Or a blog conglomeration like Boarding Area where one can read twenty times about the latest SPG AMEX?

Raffles Sep 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25405860)
You mean things like MilePoint, which is just FlyerTalk with a sexier look but without the content? Or a blog conglomeration like Boarding Area where one can read twenty times about the latest SPG AMEX?

I do genuinely find the BA home page the single best place to go online for an 30 second overview of what is going on.

I wasn't thinking of Milepoint when I made my comment - it was worth a try though, you can't blame them for trying.

GUWonder Sep 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 25405993)
I do genuinely find the BA home page the single best place to go online for an 30 second overview of what is going on.

I wasn't thinking of Milepoint when I made my comment - it was worth a try though, you can't blame them for trying.

Milepoint helped keep Randy Petersen in the game a bit more than may have otherwise taken place; and that in itself may have been very useful for D/G/P to get a bigger piece of this loyalty program pie than they would otherwise land. I was hoping Milepoint would succeed (and in some way it may have), but I was pretty sure that MP wouldn't be able to be a content leader since critical mass was already on FT and would be difficult to reach on MP.

I agree in full with the notion that the bigger money from loyalty program/travel coverage is to be had by diversifying into a broader market segment than just those fishing for the lowest CPM travel to maximize miles/points earned from travel for travel.