FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   Inside Flyer Magazine to stop publishing [relaunches online Q4/2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1649614-inside-flyer-magazine-stop-publishing-relaunches-online-q4-2015-a.html)

84fiero Sep 30, 2015 6:39 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25496822)
That was the promise of Milepoint, too. Some interesting upgrades/options/offers which will make it interesting but I still don't know that they'll ever get to build out the community behind it which will generate the long-term traffic to sustain it. I also believe there are some specific policy choices being made for very, very wrong reasons.

Oh, and a second site featuring blogger content built to compete with the blog portal already being run by the same organization is a very, very shady move IMO.

So basically it's sounding like this will end up being rehashes of things that already exist?

Originally Posted by ingy (Post 25497776)
.... as I recall the Premium MegaDO memberships

Luckily I didn't get in on that.

sbm12 Sep 30, 2015 7:29 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 25497866)
So basically it's sounding like this will end up being rehashes of things that already exist?

Yes and no. Some of it is rebuilding things which already exist. Some is aggregating information better. Some is trying to grow/pivot/shift the focus/tone of the site.

nsx Sep 30, 2015 8:04 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 25496822)
Oh, and a second site featuring blogger content built to compete with the blog portal already being run by the same organization is a very, very shady move IMO.

If Randy and his partners own both, why can't they cannibalize their own business? I've always read that a company should replace its outmoded product before competitors do. What am I missing?

oliver2002 Sep 30, 2015 8:32 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 25498211)
What am I missing?

Probably the current BArea participants joined the conglomerate under certain terms, which are now being undermined by the new setup...

Kagehitokiri Oct 1, 2015 12:30 pm

what is happening to MP forum and its content

kokonutz Oct 1, 2015 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 25504536)
what is happening to MP forum and its content

http://content.screencast.com/users/...10-01_1512.png

Hm. What if they closed MilePoint and no one noticed? I didn't...

So sounds like they will bribe folks with points of some sort to post?

And (this being Randy-led) some massive give-aways to generate interest (points instead of ipads this time)?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow...

84fiero Oct 1, 2015 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25504768)
Hm. What if they closed MilePoint and no one noticed? I didn't...

So sounds like they will bribe folks with points of some sort to post?

And (this being Randy-led) some massive give-aways to generate interest (points instead of ipads this time)?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow...

Does a MilePoint by any other name still smell as sweet?

Sounds like a good guess about a giveaway.

- More content: So...the content elves will stop by tonight? Wonder if this is something like adding more blogs as Seth indicated upthread?

GUWonder Oct 1, 2015 3:44 pm

If Milepoint redesigned and renamed was able to loop in the boardingarea.com blogs' viewership en masse, that may actually do a bit for MP.

kokonutz Oct 1, 2015 8:47 pm

http://content.screencast.com/users/...10-01_2244.png

Is this a good deal? Don't bloggers always say that buying miles from airlines, even at a discount, is hardly ever a good idea?

Kagehitokiri Oct 1, 2015 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25506396)

Is this a good deal? Don't bloggers always say that buying miles from airlines, even at a discount, is hardly ever a good idea?

ben buys tons of miles, although mostly lifemiles?

there is an FTer who travels basically 100% on purchased miles, i get impression mostly using UA's buy 50% of award option

kokonutz Oct 1, 2015 9:17 pm

Points Guy: "Though they’re not often the best ways to accrue miles, if you need to top off your frequent flyer account in a hurry and your options are limited, it can be worth it to purchase the miles you need."

OMAAT: "Don’t view buying miles as a long term investment. Miles devalue over time, so be sure you buy them with a reasonably short term use in mind.

VFTW: "I wouldn’t buy Alaska/United/Avianca miles speculatively"

FWIW, looking for these pieces of advice, I noticed that LifeMiles was running a 120% bonus recently. @:-)

Kagehitokiri Oct 1, 2015 9:23 pm

"up to" means probably little discount, but 150% bonus + 50% discount would mean 'getting' 100K miles per 33K miles bought (or 20K bought?)
must be UA? or could it be (existing) lifemiles?

lifemiles 135% bonus just ended
http://www.ausbt.com.au/avianca-life...liance-flights

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 25506484)
OMAAT: buy them with a reasonably short term use in mind

VFTW: speculatively

= buy and book immediately
(can often change?)

ben >
in 2014 - purchased 650K
in 2013 - 400K US “Share Miles”

oliver2002 Oct 2, 2015 1:43 am

From past history this looks like UA MP miles. Most here and on MP buy these on existing bookings for less than 2cpm. I've had buy miles offers as low as 1.8cpm from UA MP recently and gave it a pass because I had no short term need.

If its AV LM points for sale the recent campaign was for 135% bonus, which is also only advisable if you have short term plans and availability.

That said, I really don't see how selling miles for cheap promotes a travel website and attracts the profile you need to get high revenue ad placement. But what do I know... :p

Raffles Oct 2, 2015 2:54 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 25507102)
From past history this looks like UA MP miles. Most here and on MP buy these on existing bookings for less than 2cpm. I've had buy miles offers as low as 1.8cpm from UA MP recently and gave it a pass because I had no short term need.

If its AV LM points for sale the recent campaign was for 135% bonus, which is also only advisable if you have short term plans and availability.

That said, I really don't see how selling miles for cheap promotes a travel website and attracts the profile you need to get high revenue ad placement. But what do I know... :p

If the deal is as it was explained to me, it is the most generous deal this particular non US airline has ever done ....

oliver2002 Oct 2, 2015 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 25507256)
If the deal is as it was explained to me, it is the most generous deal this particular non US airline has ever done ....

Ah, so its one of the rogue *A carriers known for selling miles... wonderful. :p