Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Let's chat about about VFTW's apparent inability to proofread a single thing he writes before posting it.

Every. Single. Post. Today. has numerous grammatical errors that are just plain shameless. One of his posts this morning slaughtered a quote to the point where it was almost incomprehensible.

What gives? My money is on Gary just [redacted]

How the mighty have fallen

Last edited by oliver2002; Feb 18, 2015 at 2:42 pm Reason: lets not get profane, shall we?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
What gives? My money is on Gary just [redacted].
I'm all for having a conversation about the lack of quality, but I think we should keep the conversation from heading in this direction.

Last edited by oliver2002; Feb 18, 2015 at 2:46 pm Reason: removed quoted profanity
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

My bad.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:31 pm

Every. Single. Post. Today. has numerous grammatical errors that are just plain shameless. One of his posts this morning slaughtered a quote to the point where it was almost incomprehensible.

What gives?
Signaling.

Business travelers want to hear from others who know firsthand the travails of business travel (not leisure travel a la OMAAT/Delta Points).

Gary holds a traditional corporate job and he wants to use that to his advantage -- by signaling that he is so busy with his full time work that he has no time to proofread his blog, which he casts as a side project.

The typos give him authority and credibility in his comments on business travel. He's a real traveler, not a full time travel blogger.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:04 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by davie355
Signaling.

Business travelers want to hear from others who know firsthand the travails of business travel (not leisure travel a la OMAAT/Delta Points).

Gary holds a traditional corporate job and he wants to use that to his advantage -- by signaling that he is so busy with his full time work that he has no time to proofread his blog, which he casts as a side project.

The typos give him authority and credibility in his comments on business travel. He's a real traveler, not a full time travel blogger.
I'd say it sends the opposite signal: that he's not a serious businessperson. Because that kind of sloppiness is unacceptable from a serious businessperson even in casual communication.

Gary's a successful businessperson though. Maybe he has an assistant or associates at work who proofread his work product.

That said, given his subjects recently, I agree that he's seeking a business traveler audience lately. I've noticed that he mentions the fact that he is a business traveler over and over in posts.

I think it's smart. I certainly relate more to Gary's posts lately than Ben's.

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 18, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Deleted 5 posts about dp.com

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
59 blogs now

I just went over to see what was being said about the UA DOT ruling and took a look at the list of bloggers. It keeps growing. It's now at 59. I think it's out of control and whomever is supposed to check them (I guess someone may have that job) is missing the fact that Miles Professor hasn't posted since Dec. 4. I wonder what the parameters are as to how often a new post has to go up.

I think this is part of the fail as there are just too many blogs there.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does it matter if there are "too many" if they aren't posting? How does that negatively affect your reading experience?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Does it matter if there are "too many" if they aren't posting? How does that negatively affect your reading experience?
It doesn't. I'm just anal and I like consistency. I guess it might matter if someone is going to BA for just one blog, and that blog wasn't uodated it may stop the person from going there at all. not sure if that would be something that would matter though. I think most readers find favorites and that's where they go. I don't have the time or patience to sift thru the new ones.

And please, don't you ever stop blogging.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Signaling.

I hope you are joking.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

If you want to know the extent to which many (though certainly not all) BA bloggers have lost touch with reality and their entitlement mindset, look no further than today's posts about the DOT decision.

Deals We Like and VFTW take the cake here.

DWL says United's systems should know to reject a US billing address combined with a Denmark Country so it isn't his fault that he falsified this information. Spare me...

And Gary... Well... I'm concerned he's just flat out lost touch with regular Joes.

(On the flip side, I am indescribably jealous of his photo with Kristen Bell)
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:39 am

DWL says United's systems should know to reject a US billing address combined with a Denmark Country so it isn't his fault that he falsified this information. Spare me...
Not that it matters, but DWL is authored by a woman, not a man.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Not that it matters, but DWL is authored by a woman, not a man.
Hmm, I'm not sure why I always thought it was written by a male. Good to know though
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:54 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure why I always thought it was written by a male. Good to know though
I guess you missed the semi-regular "Mr. Deals" guest posts.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

I guess you missed the semi-regular "Mr. Deals" guest posts.
I remember seeing them, I guess I always just thought Mrs. Deals was the guest poster...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.