Wiki Posts
Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some individuals just love the attention, even if the attention comes from organizations which the individuals want defunded due to the individual's (or their paymasters') dogmatism/ideology. But seriously, if his hobby-turned-sidejob is financed by getting the right kind of attention, doesn't it make sense to be pragmatic and accept the offer to be given the profitable attention?
Fleecing something as you effort its demise is a time honored American tradition. Carl Icahn would be scrubbing floors and we would still be flying TWA without this.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Mar 20, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Someone posted a link to his blog today regarding Hyatt - and it appears the entire issue, as well as some examples, were lifted from the thread on FT. Oh, I'm sure the screen shots were done by themselves, but the specifics came right from the thread.

And it's not just this blog - it's all of them. That's why I don't read/subscribe and only rarely click on a link to them if I'm curious. The info is all on FT.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Someone posted a link to his blog today regarding Hyatt - and it appears the entire issue, as well as some examples, were lifted from the thread on FT. Oh, I'm sure the screen shots were done by themselves, but the specifics came right from the thread.

And it's not just this blog - it's all of them. That's why I don't read/subscribe and only rarely click on a link to them if I'm curious. The info is all on FT.
If you steal from one it's plagiarism. If you steal from two it's editing. If you steal from three it's RESEARCH. @:-)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
LOL.... good one
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Mary2e

Not even a H/T!

I brought up an issue about Marriott status matching from SPG, and lo and behold he posted an article about it. He H/Ted some one else. I couldn't sleep that night.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Not even a H/T!

I brought up an issue about Marriott status matching from SPG, and lo and behold he posted an article about it. He H/Ted some one else. I couldn't sleep that night.
Even better when a blogger H/T's another blogger who took the content from FT.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Even better when a blogger H/T's another blogger who took the content from FT.
Gary did that recently, linking to another blogger who linked to a thread I started on FT. The original blogger correctly credited FT but Gary didn't mention FT. Bad form IMHO.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
A friend of mine sent me a link to this WSJ Article today. I get so sick of gleff's BS. Spent Christmas morning 2009 getting 16 million miles? Why, the deal had been known for a month before Christmas morning? Sounds like fabricated hyperbole to me ...

Also, he's a co-founder of InsideFlyer now? InsideFlyer was founded decades ago by Randy Peterson ...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles

Also, he's a co-founder of InsideFlyer now? InsideFlyer was founded decades ago by Randy Peterson ...
It's complicated....

Obviously Randy started InsideFlyer in the 1980s.

But when he started the MilePoint IBB to compete with FlyerTalk after he sold FlyerTalk to Internet Brands, he named a few folks 'co-founders,' including Gary, Tommy Danielson and Ed Pizzarello. These were mostly honorary titles, based on those guys urging Randy to jump back into the IBB business so soon after cashing out of it.

So when Randy re-branded MilePoint to be an intrinsic part of Inside Flyer rather than a separate entity that sort-of made those guys 'co-founders' of the forums section of Inside Flyer.

Ergo, "a co-founder of InsideFlyer..." @:-)

A friend of mine sent me a link to this WSJ Article today. I get so sick of gleff's BS. Spent Christmas morning 2009 getting 16 million miles? Why, the deal had been known for a month before Christmas morning? Sounds like fabricated hyperbole to me ...
But “I’m still spending those miles,” he says.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

He disclosed he's been paid as a consultant for an investment bank as part of a valuation determination for a frequent flyer program. When people start getting paid by a party that isn't looking out for the consumer's best interest, there is a risk that they become too close to industry and it acts on their views in a way that make them not only less of a consumer advocate but more of a corporate apologist.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
It's complicated....

Obviously Randy started InsideFlyer in the 1980s.

But when he started the MilePoint IBB to compete with FlyerTalk after he sold FlyerTalk to Internet Brands, he named a few folks 'co-founders,' including Gary, Tommy Danielson and Ed Pizzarello. These were mostly honorary titles, based on those guys urging Randy to jump back into the IBB business so soon after cashing out of it.

So when Randy re-branded MilePoint to be an intrinsic part of Inside Flyer rather than a separate entity that sort-of made those guys 'co-founders' of the forums section of Inside Flyer.

Ergo, "a co-founder of InsideFlyer..." @:-)
That logic would make the founders of LinkedIn founders of Microsoft or founders WhatsApp founders of Facebook, such logic is fallacious in my opinion. InsideFlyer has existed for over 30 years (founded by Randy in 1986 according to information on the current InsideFlyer website), Milepoint being subsumed by InsideFlyer doesn't make the founders of Milepoint founders of InsideFlyer.

Why are you trying to defend or justify his claim?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
He disclosed he's been paid as a consultant for an investment bank as part of a valuation determination for a frequent flyer program. When people start getting paid by a party that isn't looking out for the consumer's best interest, there is a risk that they become too close to industry and it acts on their views in a way that make them not only less of a consumer advocate but more of a corporate apologist.
As a long-time member of Flyertalk all I need to know about Mr. Leff is that he resigned from his elected position as TalkBoard president to start a competing business interest, that tells me enough about his business ethics and what he thinks of the members of this community that elected him to that position for which he ran.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Gary etc are shareholders in IF but not BA AFAIK.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I still laugh when John at Loyaltylobby.com deliberately transposed a few things in a hotel category list on his site to see who might copy it. Turns out Gleff did and without any attribution.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:20 pm

That logic would make the founders of LinkedIn founders of Microsoft or founders WhatsApp founders of Facebook, such logic is fallacious in my opinion. InsideFlyer has existed for over 30 years (founded by Randy in 1986 according to information on the current InsideFlyer website), Milepoint being subsumed by InsideFlyer doesn't make the founders of Milepoint founders of InsideFlyer.

Why are you trying to defend or justify his claim?
Not defending. Attempting to elucidate the unelucidatable for sport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.