One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
It's worse than that for the boys: as a luxury traveler myself, I have moved from luxury hotels to luxury flats via VRBO and AirBnB.
What... I was reading on the blogs that using AirBnB was the equivalent of sleeping on someone's couch.

How does one survive without the $25 club sandwich from room service ?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stackm
What... I was reading on the blogs that using AirBnB was the equivalent of sleeping on someone's couch.

How does one survive without the $25 club sandwich from room service ?
The plus of a AirBNB is you dont have to hide your third IN A CLOSET.
Seriously, it's like a bunch of 14 year old girls are traveling to luxury hotels for a sleepover sometimes.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I always love to see how those who brag about flying first class and staying in suites at Hyatts and SPG properties are saving a little money on meals by eating on the club floors. Or finding out whether it's possible to sleep the night before their flights at the airport lounge.

Some of the folks on the blogs and here at FT are ridiculous about stuff like this.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I always love to see how those who brag about flying first class and staying in suites at Hyatts and SPG properties are saving a little money on meals by eating on the club floors. Or finding out whether it's possible to sleep the night before their flights at the airport lounge.

Some of the folks on the blogs and here at FT are ridiculous about stuff like this.
That's because most people there and here (myself included) didn't pay "full value" for the first class flights or suites.

It's like Chris Rock's routine about the difference between being rich and being wealthy.

If you are worrying about miles and points, you probably aren't wealthy.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:35 am

And just because you're rich or wealthy doesn't mean you can't save money where it is possible to do so.
If you don't care about the food that is offered outside the hotel (yes, lots of people don't give a damn about food; or maybe they like food but don't feel the need to leave the hotel after a long day of sightseeing), why shouldn't you save some money by eating at the hotel lounge? Just to say "I'm wealthy, I'm spending money where I don't need to!"?!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mikex163
And just because you're rich or wealthy doesn't mean you can't save money where it is possible to do so.
If you don't care about the food that is offered outside the hotel (yes, lots of people don't give a damn about food; or maybe they like food but don't feel the need to leave the hotel after a long day of sightseeing), why shouldn't you save some money by eating at the hotel lounge? Just to say "I'm wealthy, I'm spending money where I don't need to!"?!
I don't think "lots" of luxury travelers don't care about food. Ben clearly *does* care about food, as shown by his constant critiques of food -- served on airplanes and in lounges.

I don't think anyone said wealthy people don't eat in hotel lounges. The suggestion is they wouldn't make the food display at a hotel lounge the end-all and be-all. They might eat there if it's convenient and interesting.

But I have yet to meet a wealthy leisure traveler who prioritizes the food in the hotel lounge. If they don't want to leave the hotel, the hotel has something called a restaurant. I think the true wealthy traveler is unlikely to try and make a dinner out of the canapes served at a lounge unless they are a penny-pincher.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Ben clearly *does* care about food, as shown by his constant critiques of food -- served on airplanes and in lounges.
If you consider the stuff served up in these locations to be food

Any decent restaurant serves a better quality.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
You're all missing the point, which is that you were right and I was, well, misguided!

Here's the proof. Today's front-page article in the New York Times Business section features the Chase Reserve and our very own Ben. "'It's an incredible deal,' said Mr. Schlappig."

So, according to the Times, the Chase Reserve is the best and Ben has the inside scoop.

What does that prove? It proves that the end is nigh and that there's more air in the "rewards" credit card bubble today than there ever was in Seventeenth Century tulip bulbs or anything else I can think of off the top of my head. After all, by the time those idiots at the NYT jump on board, you know it's over. Ben himself, who's no fool, practically says as much in the article.

Nice publicity for Ben, however, even if TPG also gets a shout-out.

(No link because I'm one of the last old-time newspaper readers -- in paper.)

Last edited by FallenPlat; Sep 13, 2016 at 10:43 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
You're all missing the point, which is that you were right and I was, well, misguided!

Here's the proof. Today's front-page article in the New York Times Business section features the Chase Reserve and our very own Ben. "'It's an incredible deal,' said Mr. Schlappig."

So, according to the Times, the Chase Reserve is the best and Ben has the inside scoop.

What does that prove? It proves that the end is nigh and that there's more air in the "rewards" credit card bubble today than there ever was in Seventeenth Century tulip bulbs or anything else I can think of off the top of my head. After all, by the time those idiots at the NYT jump on board, you know it's over. Ben himself, who's no fool, practically says as much in the article.

Nice publicity for Ben, however, even if TPG also gets a shout-out.

(No link because I'm one of the last old-time newspaper readers -- in paper.)
I just read the article. What should concern Chase the most is that the massive uptake is largely by millennials trying to gain free travel which means they will not put through significant volume of spend nor keep the card all that long.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I just read the article. What should concern Chase the most is that the massive uptake is largely by millennials trying to gain free travel which means they will not put through significant volume of spend nor keep the card all that long.
Millennials love them some deep-arse debt. Chase is coveting the chance to get them to rack up 19-24% debt! @:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Millennials love them some deep-arse debt. Chase is coveting the chance to get them to rack up 19-24% debt! @:-)@:-)@:-)
Many millennials have been forced into debt by simply wanting to get educated. Not sure how that translates to "millennials love them some deep-arse debt." Things have changed since the 1970s where college was essentially free...
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by kthpence
Many millennials have been forced into debt by simply wanting to get educated. Not sure how that translates to "millennials love them some deep-arse debt." Things have changed since the 1970s where college was essentially free...
Which has nothing to do with signing up for multiple $450/year credit cards.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
To be honest I took a flight the other week with JetBlue and their coffee was better than any other domestic flight I had in recent memory. It actually came to me hot, with a lid, and acceptable flavor. When I fly first class international with a non-domestic airline it's not drip coffee, it's typically an americano.

There is a difference between Folgers and Dunkin' Doughnuts. Even if the beans were the same as the store-brand... DD's coffee typically leads in taste test over other national store brands. It could also be that maybe they prepare their coffee in a different method or type of machine on board? To me it's a legit review as the stuff I get is just above what I would consider warm coffee and is typically stale or watered down. Someone mentioned in his comments that United uses Illy coffee... can't recall having had that, but in some taste tests DD was rated slightly above Illy.
I think DD is fantastic donut shop style coffee . I don't think it's good as Tim Horton's but it's good. I think that both taste better than Starbucks which I find very bitter tasting.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kthpence

Cite: https://www.tiaainstitute.org/public...es_feb2014.pdf

WSJ: Along with long-term debt, millennials also carry short-term debt, most often from credit cards. This debt can be costly. More than half of millennials’ credit-card users say they carried over a balance—for which they were charged interest—in the last 12 months. A sizable share has been hit with late fees (22%), over-the-limit fees (13%), and fees for cash advances (14%).

If bloggers appealing to Millennials can create conversions by selling the fantasy of free first class travel they are creating cash cows for the cc companies. @:-)
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'm so cynical now. I didn't read this article to figure out the "best" adapter (totally subjective as individual needs change the criteria) but instead to try to figure out the vigorish for Ben: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ravel-adapter/..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.