Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by labdoctor
Isn't it a credit card referral portal with some gossip thrown in to tantalize the readers?
Sounds more like View from the Wing than OMAAT. Why isn’t TPG as much into the Jerry Springer-esque tantalization as some of the major Boardingarea.com blogs?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sounds more like View from the Wing than OMAAT. Why isn’t TPG as much into the Jerry Springer-esque tantalization as some of the major Boardingarea.com blogs?
You need to blame BA for that, I think.

TPG is SEO driven - they don't really care about regular readers and indeed find them a pain as they are at 5/24, have hit their Amex lifetime cap etc - and no-one actually searches for clickbait nonsense. You only click it if a link is presented to you.

(It is also hard to rank on Google for stuff outside your sphere of interest. We published a piece two weeks ago relating to an Amex offer in the UK but which is not travel related. Despite our strong Google rank normally and the fact that this is the best article on the web on this particular issue, my piece is literally not in the first 10 pages of search results.)

Hence the BA home page, which encourages you to click through instead of reading some other more useful story.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
You need to blame BA for that, I think.

TPG is SEO driven - they don't really care about regular readers and indeed find them a pain as they are at 5/24, have hit their Amex lifetime cap etc - and no-one actually searches for clickbait nonsense. You only click it if a link is presented to you.

(It is also hard to rank on Google for stuff outside your sphere of interest. We published a piece two weeks ago relating to an Amex offer in the UK but which is not travel related. Despite our strong Google rank normally and the fact that this is the best article on the web on this particular issue, my piece is literally not in the first 10 pages of search results.)

Hence the BA home page, which encourages you to click through instead of reading some other more useful story.
When it comes to the BA-hosted blogs that are the most popular, do you think that that BoardingArea arrangement currently depresses their liquidity-event value if the blogger decides to sell off the blog?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When it comes to the BA-hosted blogs that are the most popular, do you think that that BoardingArea arrangement currently depresses their liquidity-event value if the blogger decides to sell off the blog?
Realistically, who could sell? For better or worse, the sites are all personality driven and that makes a big ticket sale hard. Not impossible, but hard. FM potentially, because Nick is 'staff' already so would presumably be happy to stick around under a new boss for the right deal. Not many other sites in that boat. Loss of the founder's voice is more important than the impact of coming off BA or not.
B747-437B and GUWonder like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:38 am

Did Ben just do a Mea Culpa on the last two years of almost nothing bur credit card posting? And are his new trips an attempt to regain readership?
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Speedscu
Did Ben just do a Mea Culpa on the last two years of almost nothing bur credit card posting? And are his new trips an attempt to regain readership?
He recently discussed this.
Link
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:33 am

That link is exactly what made me ask the question. Do you think he hemorrhaged readers?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:10 pm

That link is exactly what made me ask the question. Do you think he hemorrhaged readers?
We'll never know, but I for one appreciate that he at least appears to be listening to reader's comments and complaints and factoring them into his decision making. His reviews are what built his readership, so if he's shifting back to that then I see no reason to complain.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
A mea culpa isn't required if your parent is going through terminal cancer.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Possibly. I honestly rarely read his reviews. Unless it's an aspirational property I'm interested in. Just rely on him for the latest news, and appreciate that the comments section stays open (is why I very rarely venture to TPGs page anymore)

Even if he lost readers though, the pandemic could have had a heavy hand in that.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ben was probably more SEO dependent than most, purely because of his unrivalled trip report volumes. Clearly those numbers hit rock bottom.

At our lowest point we lost 75% of our Google traffic. We are now back to around 80% of our 2019 volumes.

The overall impact on us was manageable though as we have a loyal core base. Total readership is up over 20% during covid (revenue clearly sharply down).
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Another clickbait article...I had thought Lucky's Anglophobic tendencies had mellowed somewhat until now
https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...rvice-charges/
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:44 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Why can’t the knockers just unsubscribe if OMAAT is not what they are after? It’s as though they are unable move on. 🤷‍♂️
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DC9
Why can’t the knockers just unsubscribe if OMAAT is not what they are after? It’s as though they are unable move on. 🤷‍♂️
You'd rather OMAAT misinforms its readers without being called out? The practice he outlines in his article is virtually unheard of in the UK yet he implies it's an endemic issue...
NWplatinum likes this.

Last edited by labdoctor; Feb 21, 2022 at 8:30 am
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by labdoctor
Another clickbait article...I had thought Lucky's Anglophobic tendencies had mellowed somewhat until now
https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...rvice-charges/
Without biting on the above bait of calling an Anglophone American out as an Anglophobe, I will say that the OMAAT article does serve consumers. It highlights how a scummy practice is becoming increasingly prevalent in the hospitality sector -- this time in London (England) -- and to be out on the watch for this. Bad practices tend to spread unless and until the government puts an end to it; and unless and until there is any government action to put a stop to such practices, consumers' best defense to such practices is information.
Adam1222 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 21, 2022 at 4:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.