Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Not that I'm rehashing anything different than those in the comments of his post, but, (shocker!) Ben is going to requalify for EXP this year despite not liking anything about the airline.
Some news for Ben: "objectification of women" as he calls it, is called heterosexuality to others.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you're selling the dream of "travel like this for 'free' on points just like me" and you're not actually using the points to get the trips it becomes an optics problem. I've long said that I just pay for most of my trips because I cannot generate enough points to cover all my travels. But I'm also flying way more than most leisure travelers that the CC game targets.
that what lifemiles are for.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:55 pm

Ok so several weeks ago Ben posted this: https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa...ing-fake-news/

When he goes into a lecture about saving the planet and not doing unnecessary flying. After people criticized his flights of traveling around the world to no where in F for funzys he didn’t take to liking that much because in the comments he writes:
“Ben (Lucky) says:
November 26, 2019 at 12:54 pm
@ henry LAX — Virtually all of my flights are for review purposes or to visit family. I don’t do any status runs beyond that. As far as what I’m doing goes, that’s a great question. It’s something I’ve been putting a lot of thought into lately, and I plan to share details of that hopefully within the next few days, as we’re currently working on finalizing something. Thanks for the interest.”

He’s obviously really concerned about global warming and saving Mother Earth and good for him. I’m glad this is so paramount to him in between sips of champagne, caviar, and starting kickstarters so he can do us the service of reviewing Etihad’s apartment. I don’t know how I ever would’ve been able to find the remote onboard my A380 F Etihad flight without that review.

Now this week there is this post: https://onemileatatime.com/jewel-trip-report/ and this post thus far https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...-class-review/ where he’s “cross-crossing the globe” to Toronto, Singapore, Helsinki etc... Because “not only is that a pretty great fare... but the trip also earned me about 21,000 elite qualifying miles and 2,600+ elite qualifying dollars, which would help me requalify for Executive Platinum status with American AAdvantage (for better or worse).

I thought he said he only does things for “us” to review in the post a week ago. He never goes out of his way to qualify for status, and all his trips are out of necessity to try the latest champagne to let us know. Yes, this is all for you. I’m glad to see in his mind Ben cares about the environment and his carbon footprint. But you need to call out hypocrisy when you see it. Is he gonna continue this charade, or will he stop the bandwagon of flight shaming people for doing the exact same thing that he does?

Ben is a limousine liberal who “do as I say, not as I do” and that’s fine. But let’s at least be candid and acknowledge this. Sorry Ben, but just because you have a blog doesn’t give you a Carte Blanche to fly around the world. and then start a discussion and lecturing us about climate change and what we can do to reduce our carbon footprint on our flights going to Helsinki, and Singapore from Toronto to try out new cabins and planes.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Dec 4, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
circuity factor

and don't forget that because he often flies on hub airlines, he's creating a lot more emissions than if he flew to his destination on the most direct route possible
NWplatinum, hugolover and 84fiero like this.

Last edited by fartoomanyusers; Dec 5, 2019 at 5:03 am Reason: one letter typo
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Ok so several weeks ago Ben posted this: https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa...ing-fake-news/

When he goes into a lecture about saving the planet and not doing unnecessary flying. After people criticized his flights of traveling around the world to no where in F for funzys he didn’t take to liking that much because in the comments he writes:
“Ben (Lucky) says:
@ henry LAX — Virtually all of my flights are for review purposes or to visit family. I don’t do any status runs beyond that. As far as what I’m doing goes, that’s a great question. It’s something I’ve been putting a lot of thought into lately, and I plan to share details of that hopefully within the next few days, as we’re currently working on finalizing something. Thanks for the interest.”

He’s obviously really concerned about global warming and saving Mother Earth and good for him. I’m glad this is so paramount to him in between sips of champagne, caviar, and starting kickstarters so he can do us the service of reviewing Etihad’s apartment. I don’t know how I ever would’ve been able to find the remote onboard my A380 F Etihad flight without that review.

Now this week there is this post: https://onemileatatime.com/jewel-trip-report/ and this post thus far https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...-class-review/ where he’s “cross-crossing the globe” to Toronto, Singapore, Helsinki etc... Because “not only is that a pretty great fare... but the trip also earned me about 21,000 elite qualifying miles and 2,600+ elite qualifying dollars, which would help me requalify for Executive Platinum status with American AAdvantage (for better or worse).

I thought he said he only does things for “us” to review in the post a week ago. He never goes out of his way to qualify for status, and all his trips are out of necessity to try the latest champagne to let us know. Yes, this is all for you. I’m glad to see in his mind Ben cares about the environment and his carbon footprint. But you need to call out hypocrisy when you see it. Is he gonna continue this charade, or will he stop the bandwagon of flight shaming people for doing the exact same thing that he does?

Ben is a limousine liberal who “do as I say, not as I do” and that’s fine. But let’s at least be candid and acknowledge this. Sorry Ben, but just because you have a blog doesn’t give you a Carte Blanche to fly around the world. and then start a discussion and lecturing us about climate change and what we can do to reduce our carbon footprint on our flights going to Helsinki, and Singapore from Toronto to try out new cabins and planes.
Typical slackivism. Pointing out a problem without proposing a solution. I bet he'd pitch carbon offsets if he got kickbacks from it.
NWplatinum, hugolover and 84fiero like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by diburning
Typical slackivism. Pointing out a problem without proposing a solution. I bet he'd pitch carbon offsets if he got kickbacks from it.
Hm...carbon offset affiliate program....great idea!!
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up

OK so several weeks ago Ben posted this: https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa...ing-fake-news/

“Ben (Lucky) says:

+100
That's just an extremely weak argument ...
And with all that flying, it's really not that hard for him to re-qualify for EXP - whether or not he was trying to, is another matter altogether

When bloggers try to write & form an argument or an opinion in an article without giving it much thought - all for the sake of churning out 3-5 articles per day to keep up with the others who are just like or worse than him/them

And isn't it queer .. I mean odd that he came back with a ton of planned trips and reports just in the past couple of weeks?

Below is a prime example of someone who doesn't understand the workings of a major international airport/hub in a very small, land scarce tiny city-state; surrounded by much bigger neighboring countries on all sides ..

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore...ng-pass-rules/

Some readers' comments are hilarious though ... and some did try to explain what / why it happened - but Lucky prolly didn't give a hoot
NWplatinum and diburning like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:27 am

The blog has made him a multimillionaire. He doesn’t give a hoot about anything we have to say. But we can still call him out on his hypocrisy.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
"Oh no! I have to review CX F instead of Hainan J. Quelle horreur! Thankfully you all have been *begging* for it. Stay tuned for how I scammed my way into it, too. 😘"
NWplatinum, 84fiero and diburning like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
"Oh no! I have to review CX F instead of Hainan J. Quelle horreur! Thankfully you all have been *begging* for it. Stay tuned for how I scammed my way into it, too. 😘"
i read the comments on his original "what should i do" post ... and quite a few readers really were begging him to do CX F !
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The blog has made him a multimillionaire. He doesn’t give a hoot about anything we have to say. But we can still call him out on his hypocrisy.
Or you can stop reading it and making him even more money too!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
i read the comments on his original "what should i do" post ... and quite a few readers really were begging him to do CX F !
2/44 comments is not "quite a few readers..."
diburning likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Oh dear, OMAAT has discovered that engaging with trolls and blogging about it generates comments and pageviews. VFTW joins in. Sadly not the same amount of pageviews or comments
84fiero and HadesNL like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Oh dear, OMAAT has discovered that engaging with trolls and blogging about it generates comments and pageviews. VFTW joins in. Sadly not the same amount of pageviews or comments
To be fair, that's what we're here for, right?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Or you can stop reading it and making him even more money too!
I don’t hate the guy. I think his website has some great content to be fair.

It’s the liberal political views he peppers in, the credit card whoring, and stupid stuff that has made me who was once a big fan into someone who just pops in now and again for actual news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.