Reload this Page >

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:17 pm

Who would have guessed, just five years ago, that points and miles, frequent flying and even travel itself would revolve around collecting credit cards?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Who would have guessed, just five years ago, that points and miles, frequent flying and even travel itself would revolve around collecting credit cards?
Probably everyone?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Yeah, everyone.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Me? Posted this in June 2014 but was working on it for two years

http://travelbloggerbuzz.com/travel-...zation-scheme/
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Erm, that's at least 15-20 years in the making.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: HON, SPG Amb, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Jumeirah Gold, Marriott Plat
Post OMAAT Posts About HON Circle

Lucky at One Mile At A Time posted an article about HON Circle.

Its generally accurate but it is mainly from stuff you can find on the Lufthansa website so it misses all the unwritten benefits.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...sa-hon-circle/

PF
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Nice description of LH business class seat:"Lufthansa sub-par business class" ^^
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
When you have credit card issuers financing airlines' bankruptcies I'd say that's pretty indicative of a close bond.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Erm, that's at least 15-20 years in the making.
Points rewarding cards have been around a fairly long time, I'll grant that. I've been an AmEx Plat card holder for nearly 20 years. However, I was referring to the shift from flying to card collecting as the major way of collecting redeemable points and miles. I think that only really took off with the advent of bloggers like OMAT and mega sign-up bonuses of bank cards. Before the mega bonuses there were niche schemes such as buying coins from the mint or extended and creative mileage runs.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Mega bonuses started some 10 years ago.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Mega bonuses started some 10 years ago.
And the trend was not driven by bloggers writing about them. Quite the opposite, in fact. Bloggers started writing about them once they realized it was WAY more profitable to do that then most (all??) the other income sources previously available.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
And the trend was not driven by bloggers writing about them. Quite the opposite, in fact. Bloggers started writing about them once they realized it was WAY more profitable to do that then most (all??) the other income sources previously available.
No, bloggers didn't start the churning. But they sure did play a big role in killing it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
No, bloggers didn't start the churning. But they sure did play a big role in killing it.
Card applicants and banks played the big roles in "killing it". Bloggers seemed to have been playing a supporting role to those players with the big roles in sort of "killing it."
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hey guys, taking a short break from cc pumping, you know:

Air India Plane Diverts After Pilots Forget To Retract Landing Gear
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Today's post of the "10 best cards this month" had nary a mention of the 75K Prestige offer. I wonder if it will suddenly make the cut after non-TPG affiliate links go live after the first of August?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.