Reload this Page >

Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Some friends and I did a quick, back of the napkin calculation on what a blogger could be earning through referral bonuses.

We figured that if every one of MMS's subscribed 16,000 readers (or any other blog) clicked through on one referral linky, and those linkys are worth $200 each, that's 16,000 x $200. $3,200,000.00 And the sobering fact was that between the half dozen or so of us in the conversation, we'd each used MMS links, not once each, but multiple times, and referred numerous folks to the MMS blog as well. We were amazed when we did the math.
Average CPA, even for the best banks, is nowhere near $200.
And it isn't "clicked through on one referral linky" that pays the bills. It's approvals.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:12 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Others are lower, but $200 happens.
More than $200 happens on occasion, too. It's probably safe to use an average figure above $100 per approval for "how much are they raking in?" guesstimating.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
im talking about people who know the exact annual revenue figures.
(i thought this was common knowledge, seems like it is not.)
(i thought knowledge similar to private email lists/forums/etc.)

>
The more an item is repeated, the more it is accepted as facts. You can make millions in DC !
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:20 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
And it isn't "clicked through on one referral linky" that pays the bills. It's approvals.

I concede to your expertise. You would, indeed, be knowledgeable about the inner workings of affiliate click throughs. Thanks for the input.

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but some affiliate referrals pay for click throughs (aka "leads"), and some pay for actual sign ups (in the case of banks, that would be an approval.). Wouldn't that depend on how the advertising was set up in the first place?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I concede to your expertise. You would, indeed, be knowledgeable about the inner workings of affiliate click throughs. Thanks for the input.

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but some affiliate referrals pay for click throughs (aka "leads"), and some pay for actual sign ups (in the case of banks, that would be an approval.). Wouldn't that depend on how the advertising was set up in the first place?

Thanks both of you.

As I said before at $200 per approval , many would enter the arena and like selling insurance, exit whenn they have exhausted working their friends and families !
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depends on the type of affiliate as well.

The vast majority of the CC deals these days are per approval; other markets and ad types may be per click or per lead. But when it comes to the CC links in blog posts it is generally safe to assume approval is the trigger.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
an informed "community member" told me 2 blogs (neither of which was MMS) that made ~$1mm a year

so basically its a portion of the math StartinSanDiego described, although i dont know how the site visitor stats compare between MMS and the 2 i heard.

others using much lower estimates still got pretty high revenue figures - in other posts on FT etc.
Remember that only MMS, TPG and Points Guy did enough Amex volume to retain their links - with everyone else chopped, even Ben and Gary.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:21 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by Raffles
Remember that only MMS, TPG and Points Guy did enough Amex volume to retain their links
TPG = FTG?

everyone else chopped, even Ben and Gary
Which strongly suggests arithmetic driving automatic decisions rather than any assessment of blog post quality.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
I was surprised to hear MMS does more AMEX volume than OMAAT or VFTW. The latter two blogs do provide a higher level of useful content.

If you are only going to read one or two of the point/mile blogs, why are readers supporting the inferior MMS blog?

Is it possible that all of the photos of Emily and the down-home style of the travel/food reviews are actually appealing to the readers? Maybe newbies prefer the simplicity of having restaurants noted as one of (good, very good, really good) and nothing more.

Or are people getting turned off by the increasingly luxurious trips of OMAAT and VFTW and are choosing not to further line their pockets?

Will this cause Gary to start planning Disney vacations and reviewing various McDonald's and Pizza Huts to boost income?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:33 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by stackm
why are readers supporting the inferior MMS blog?
I suspect that a large part of their revenue comes from occasional or one off visitors. TPG and MMS seem to be best at SEO, based on a few sample searches using keywords that might be entered by people new to earning miles and points from credit cards.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by stackm
I was surprised to hear MMS does more AMEX volume than OMAAT or VFTW. The latter two blogs do provide a higher level of useful content.

If you are only going to read one or two of the point/mile blogs, why are readers supporting the inferior MMS blog?

Is it possible that all of the photos of Emily and the down-home style of the travel/food reviews are actually appealing to the readers? Maybe newbies prefer the simplicity of having restaurants noted as one of (good, very good, really good) and nothing more.

Or are people getting turned off by the increasingly luxurious trips of OMAAT and VFTW and are choosing not to further line their pockets?

Will this cause Gary to start planning Disney vacations and reviewing various McDonald's and Pizza Huts to boost income?
It could be that MMS does a better job of spelling things out for new readers. I would assume that people new to the game are not going to be shooting for Ben's aspirational trips. I'm sure a large majority of new readers are going for the Southwest or Chase UR earning cards. In order to get the bonus you have to meet spending requirements... something Ben and Gary do not often detail how to do. So while Ben and Gary have a more clean looking website and have more interesting content, MMS is geared more to people starting out and people who do not want to wade through 2,000+ post threads on FT in order to learn how to meet spending requirements.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this >

only MMS, [FTG?] and Points Guy did enough Amex volume to retain their links
there is plenty of quantitative data like that

edit - and IB acquired FTG (for a reason)

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
MMS does a better job of spelling things out for new readers.
specific target market, and 100% focus

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 11, 2014 at 10:35 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:02 pm

this >

there is plenty of quantitative data like that

specific target market, and 100% focus
that is great marketing.....get them at entry level and keep them coming back ?^
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
that is great marketing.....get them at entry level and keep them coming back ?^
successful by keeping people relatively uninformed and requiring hand feeding?

id think "great" [marketing] implies not having to do things like that - not sure.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 11, 2014 at 5:16 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:07 pm

successful by keeping people relatively uninformed and requiring hand feeding?

id think "great" implies not having to do things like that, but not really sure.
No laws against building a better mousetrap. Go for it......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.