Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
What drives me nuts is his (their?) absolutely interminable obsession with awful stock photography. Got a story about a credit card? Swipe an embarrassingly terrible stock photo of a kid in glasses with a piggy bank. Something about a beach? How about a circa-1991 stock photo of people on a beach that looks ripped off from a Sandals ad? It just makes the blog look really cheesy, dated, and unprofessional.
OMG. Right on.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
You know, I don't even really mind the simplistic, repetitive, 3rd-grade level writing style of the blog and all of the circles and arrows. What drives me nuts is his (their?) absolutely interminable obsession with awful stock photography. Got a story about a credit card? Swipe an embarrassingly terrible stock photo of a kid in glasses with a piggy bank. Something about a beach? How about a circa-1991 stock photo of people on a beach that looks ripped off from a Sandals ad? It just makes the blog look really cheesy, dated, and unprofessional.
+100

But it used to be a good blog and then he gave up I think.
Possibly reached his personal financial goals, saw the end coming,
so stopped caring about it, hired a school kid to keep it running instead.

A template used is horrible, offensive to the readers unless they
are complete idiots. Those stock pics plus the language - disgusting
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:36 pm

News You Can Use: We're getting divorced!!

F#$* IT

Blog Giveaway: Engagement ring giveaway!!!

Did you win an expensive symbol of our failed marriage?

Where will Emily use my credit card next to bone me?

Bottom Line: Sometimes the best way to avoid murder/suicide is divorce
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by farbster
Let me make sure I understand. You're taking pleasure in his divorce? What's next? If Lucky gets hit by a car whilst in Hong Kong and has to have his leg amputated. Would you derive pleasure from that?
I smiled a bit. How's the weather up in your moral high ground?

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
From a Live Science article:
Those with low self-esteem are both more likely to be threatened by the overachieving people, and to experience schadenfreude. However, researchers have found that regardless of self-esteem, those who felt more threatened also felt more schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude Explained: Why We Secretly Smile When Others Fail
I'm sure that's probably part of it, but I think that I was also impressed to see a sobering post from him for once. The lack of circles/arrows and CC links was a bonus. Thanks for the concern.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Blogger ethics is a frequent topic of discussion in this forum.
Love your commenting handle, although I'm partial to the AW11 and the X 1/9 myself.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:09 pm

i like their blog
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Dr. Circles has a great post today. I don't even...

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/0...versary-night/

If that Residence Inn in Secaucus isn't aspirational enough, how about a Courtyard in a "great location" in Gretna, LA? Or a Fairfield Inn by Charleston airport?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I must say that over the past several months since the breakup, Million Mile Secrets has steadily and noticeably improved. They got rid of the horrifically cheesy stock photography, there are far fewer circles and arrows, and the blog as a whole seems much more professional and not as "dumbed down." It's actually useful and enjoyable to read, unlike 95% of BoardingArea.

I really feel like credit is due here, especially as I'm very critical of the garbage that most points/miles bloggers barf out. MMS seems like they've really listened to criticism and honestly tried to improve their product. This is really refreshing, and stands in stark contrast to other blogs that shall remain nameless that are sinking into the muck and refuse to listen to any constructive criticism at all.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
'I must say that over the past several months since the sale'

Corrected your typo there :-)

The 'dumbed down' crowd presumably couldn't get accepted for Chase cards.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I've gotten a targeted ad on Facebook each of the past 5 days, either with a picture of Emily with her arms going "Ta-da!" or in front of Southwest kiosks, and the text "Shhh! I'll show you how to get the best deal in travel!"

I was able to click and see why I wastargeted. (I unsubscribed years ago, and bowtie has blocked me on Twitter.) Apparently they paid to target fans of Marriott who are above 18 and live in the U.S.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Raffles
'I must say that over the past several months since the sale'

Corrected your typo there :-)

The 'dumbed down' crowd presumably couldn't get accepted for Chase cards.
Sale was much longer ago than that.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Sale was much longer ago than that.
Perhaps it took Bankrate a while to figure it out? :-)

There are similar issues at TPG in the last 18 months - a lurch towards becoming a mainstream travel site, a sudden lurch back to being 90% miles and points and now the new logo from 2017 and a renewed stated goal of becoming a mainstream travel read.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:30 pm

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...ney-continues/

Seems like Daraius is calling it quits. Surprisingly getting a lot of love from the miles and points community on Twitter even though he and MMS have been thrown a lot of shade by the same community over the years.

Personally I haven't followed the blog or even viewed it in years. So it came as a bit of a surprise to see that they mentioned he still wrote for the blog and helped manage it.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:37 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...ney-continues/

Seems like Daraius is calling it quits. Surprisingly getting a lot of love from the miles and points community on Twitter even though he and MMS have been thrown a lot of shade by the same community over the years.

Personally I haven't followed the blog or even viewed it in years. So it came as a bit of a surprise to see that they mentioned he still wrote for the blog and helped manage it.
Got out a few years too late. Just ask Ingy!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Daraius (and hopefully Emily) cashed out at the peak by selling to Bankrate a few years ago. This is just an elegant departure for the readers. Good job earning so much in such a short span (6 years?)

Remember the faux apologies ca. 2012 to their readers for going commercial?
kokonutz and Adam1222 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Daraius (and hopefully Emily) cashed out at the peak by selling to Bankrate a few years ago. This is just an elegant departure for the readers. Good job earning so much in such a short span (6 years?)

Remember the faux apologies ca. 2012 to their readers for going commercial?
Do you know what price he/they got?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.