Wiki Posts
Search

Who is writing at Million Mile Secrets? [merged MMS discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by EasyStreet
It is always sad to see relationships end, but this is also a case of TMI, just put a quick post and move on.
Meh, looked like some counseling-speak. Although Daraius is beating himself up a bit too much.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by awval999
It was sad to read that. Goes to show that behind closed doors everyone has troubles and "free"ish travel isn't always enough.
from reading the post it seems that's exactly what led to the divorce. Daraius seems to have had no idea how big MMS would eventually blow up to become. the tolls, pressures and no-doubt behind the scenes intricacies of running a full-fledged business (which it is now- and as a brand, larger than life.)

he and emily were both thrust into this level of fame and quasi-celebrity status even if limited in its reach/scope due to the content of the travel blog. still they put a good chunk of their life out there too and as we know from the youtube vlogger craze currently under way -- 'real reality tv' is all the rage these days. ppl wanna peer into your life and see whats going on.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Originally Posted by EasyStreet
It is always sad to see relationships end, but this is also a case of TMI, just put a quick post and move on.
Meh, looked like some counseling-speak. Although Daraius is beating himself up a bit too much.
He seems to have totally missed the point of counseling if his business is going to continue unchanged. I'm not "happy" for the couple, but I am hopeful that this might help the readers sucked into idyllizing the "life" MMS was selling to realize that it wasn't a life after all.

I'm pretty confident "fame" doesn't apply to these two. The pressures of working with your spouse, making vacations about getting the right photos, and a complete lack of self awareness that was patent in most posts add up. Also, it could be that they weren't a match to begin with.

The fact that the comment section is filled with Christ references is interesting. MMS has always struck me as having a very different demo than some other blogs : an extremely low quality of/ simple writing, and written by a straight couple.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
He seems to have totally missed the point of counseling if his business is going to continue unchanged.
Someone pointed out in the comments that his whole counseling retreat was compensated and he didn't clearly disclose that. Not sure if that is true, but it could have had be the reason it wasn't effective.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
The combination of "a complete lack of self awareness that was patent in most posts" and "an extremely low quality of . . . simple writing" has made the blog completely unreadable for me. How can the thing possibly be pitched so low?

Reading it is like reading one single-entendre joke after another. Even one is too many.

This becomes especially apparent if you compare it to, in order, TPG, View from the Wing, and OMAAT. Or Doctor of Credit, for that matter.

I truly wish the authors well of course, but their blog isn't for me -- and never will be.

(I should add that Mommy Points also gets full points for self-awareness.)

Last edited by FallenPlat; Nov 26, 2015 at 1:41 pm Reason: added thought
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
The combination of "a complete lack of self awareness that was patent in most posts" and "an extremely low quality of . . . simple writing" has made the blog completely unreadable for me. How can the thing possibly be pitched so low?

Reading it is like reading one single-entendre joke after another. Even one is too many.

This becomes especially apparent if you compare it to, in order, TPG, View from the Wing, and OMAAT. Or Doctor of Credit, for that matter.

I truly wish the authors well of course, but their blog isn't for me -- and never will be.

(I should add that Mommy Points also gets full points for self-awareness.)
Agreed. I actually unsubscribed to MMS a year ago, and despite my ethical and other problems with TPG/OMAAT can at least scan them without feeling angry/stupider.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The fact that the comment section is filled with Christ references is interesting. MMS has always struck me as having a very different demo than some other blogs : an extremely low quality of/ simple writing, and written by a straight couple.
Are you suggesting that low quality, simple writing attracts Christians?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
if this is like everything else he has written about which is full of non truths and plagiarisms I suspect this to be a great example of "click bait".
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:36 pm

and despite my ethical and other problems with TPG/OMAAT
What are your ethical problems?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
and despite my ethical and other problems with TPG/OMAAT
What are your ethical problems?
Not the right forum for that discussion, but I've shared them extensively in other fora.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I feel bad but hopeful after reading their post a few times. A post like that can be unbelievably hard to write but accomplishes two things: 1) it's therapeutic in the sense that it's out there in public and is more real to them and 2) helps them both control the message and tell people on their terms, instead of people finding out through the rumor mill.

I applaud their bravery in talking about something so private in such a public forum, it sounds like they've both found a peace about the situation and I hope the lessons they both learned will aid them in life and future relationships.

I know MMS is a big brand but it's refreshing from time to time to read posts from Daraius instead of MMS. Even in that post you can immediately tell when it went back into brand-building mode.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:05 am

That is too bad. I put the post into google translate to better understand

Daraius: It took me 8 years to ascertain what you probably were able to do in 2 paragraphs: i married a 35 year old 3rd grader

Emily: First when we got married it was very good! Then later on it was not so good and I didn't like it as much as the beginning
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Not the right forum for that discussion, but I've shared them extensively in other fora.
Blogger ethics is a frequent topic of discussion in this forum.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Blogger ethics is a frequent topic of discussion in this forum.
Agreed. I meant this particular thread isn't the place to talk about my concerns with *other* bloggers.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
You know, I don't even really mind the simplistic, repetitive, 3rd-grade level writing style of the blog and all of the circles and arrows. What drives me nuts is his (their?) absolutely interminable obsession with awful stock photography. Got a story about a credit card? Swipe an embarrassingly terrible stock photo of a kid in glasses with a piggy bank. Something about a beach? How about a circa-1991 stock photo of people on a beach that looks ripped off from a Sandals ad? It just makes the blog look really cheesy, dated, and unprofessional.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Nov 28, 2015 at 10:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.