Search

Star Mega Do 5

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 8:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Star Mega Do 5

Details of the itinerary/schwag are still TBA, but participation has changed significantly:

Private Charter | Membership Information
MegaDOs are operated by the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF)—a nonprofit 501c3 organization. Here is information on how to become a member to fly on a MegaDO.
MegaDOs are operated by the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF)—a nonprofit 501c3 organization.
As a private charter, you must be a member of the FTEF to participate. To be a member costs $10 a year and must be charged prior to your buying a MegaDO ticket. You can cancel the membership at any time, but you have to be a member at the time of purchasing the ticket and at the time of the charter.
It appears that right now only those who received an email are eligible to sign up for FTEF membership. Apparently only a certain number of memberships are available at certain membership levels, so surely a membership offer to the public is forthcoming.

ETA: THIS MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENT DOES NOT APPLY TO THIS CHARTER TOUR (see post 2 for details)

Last edited by kokonutz; May 14, 2013 at 6:44 am
Old May 6, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

website and quirky booking engine now live: http://www.megado.com/

The program has been posted on MilePoint:

Tuesday October 22nd arrival Toronto, no program (optional, you can of course some in in Wednesday)

Registration open from 6-7PM at the host hotel (Ritz Carlton Toronto or Toronto Marriott Downtown)

Wednesday October 23rd

Breakfast at the host hotel, registration opens at 8AM

1000 Buses to Rimowa's factory. Tours and BBQ

1100 Buses from the airport to Rimowa's factory for people arriving Wednesday morning.

Return back to the hotel at 4PM

Welcome reception hosted by Marriott

Thursday October 24th

Breakfast

0930 Buses to YYZ for a day with Air Canada. Return to the hotel at 4-5PM

Reception hosted at hotel by Air Canada

Friday October 25th

0730 Buses to YYZ, charter departs at 0930. Arrival TUS at 1115AM. Buses to the AF base, return to TUS at 230, departure at 3PM, Arrival at SFO at 530PM

Hangar party hosted by United Airlines from 6-830PM, buses to designated hotel downtown San Francisco.

Event ends Friday night.

The charter: This year it will be operated on an Air Canada A321, the first ever MegaDo on an Airbus..

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/a321-200xm.html

Prices will be ready on Monday May 13th

Miles miles miles… and hotel points..

Same procedure as every year (2500 EQM for coach, 7500 EQM and 15K EQM for First, but we’re working on offering BOTH AC Aeroplan miles and United miles. Stay tuned to get all details confirmed.

And of course our new partner Marriott Rewards will put on their charm to win the hearts of new customers and also thank their loyals Exciting news on the hotel campaign to follow soon

Membership

So what’s up with this membership stuff you’re offering you ask? Well, we’ve been working with the DOT closely to make the charter a private affair, meaning we’ll save a bunch on money that needs to be set aside and a boatload of paper work.

The system is a win win for everyone and United has been on us to get this done for operational purposes.

We’re still working with the DOT and are hoping to implement the memberships, but to be on the safe side, we are filing this as a public charter, so no 10 dollar membership will be necessary to buy a ticket on this MegaDo.

So there you have it! SMD5 will go on sale May 20th at noon central US time
Business $2799

Tommy Class Emergency Exit $1999 (middle seat blocked)

Tommy Class $1799 (middle seat blocked)

Coach $1199

Unfortunately, the prices this year are a little bit higher than usual. There are a few reasons for this: The flights are longer, the cost is 20% higher than last year, the taxes are also almost 30% higher than last year, costs for buses are up 150% and we don't have as many premium seats for sale, actually the lowest we've ever had.

Last edited by kokonutz; May 20, 2013 at 11:26 am
Old May 6, 2013, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
It appears that right now only those who received an email are eligible to sign up for FTEF membership. Apparently only a certain number of memberships are available at certain membership levels, so surely a membership offer to the public is forthcoming.
The $10 membership will be open to everyone and is a smart move on the part of the organizers. The extra $10 is basically a drop in the bucket for the total tip cost but it SIGNIFICANTLY changes the paperwork requirements for the better. Not being a "Public Charter" in the eyes of the DoT is a HUGE change and, quite frankly, one which should have been implemented several years ago.

The premium memberships are an interesting thing and some may love them (obviously some did as they pretty much sold out) while others don't. But the overall concept of a membership club to do this is absolutely sound.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Trust me we tried to get around the 'public' vs 'private' charter when CO demanded it for SMD2. CO asked for it due to some valid reasons, some of it being consumer protection.@:-)

Also the DoT is pretty clear on the art what constitutes an organisation that can do private charters. Just dropping 10 bucks in a pot when you enter the door to sign up probably doesn't do it. But hey, they should be knowing what they are doing.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Mr. Pickles speculates that there could bel MegaDO competitors relatively soon based on this new membership scheme.

I kind of tend to agree. If a 'real' charter company with overhead and resources in place looked at the market for what amounts to $3000-$5000 (membership fee plus megado fee) seats on a charter flight...well....how hard would it be for a company like that to create a charter catering to points and miles hoarders? (that is a sincere rather than a rhetorical question...I honestly don't know the answer)
Old May 6, 2013, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If a 'real' charter company with overhead and resources in place looked at the market for what amounts to $3000-$5000 (membership fee plus megado fee) seats on a charter flight...well....how hard would it be for a company like that to create a charter catering to points and miles hoarders? (that is a sincere rather than a rhetorical question...I honestly don't know the answer)
Getting a plane, picking a few airports and flying between them is pretty easy. Getting the other companies involved is rather more difficult. It sin't like United, American or Lufthansa is offering up tours of their operations to 150+ people on a daily basis and the MegaDo crew just picked a slot. Ditto for some of the FF-related benefits which have come from the events. Buying the points - especially EQPs - outright from the airlines isn't simply a matter of calling up the main number and giving them a CC number for the deal.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Getting a plane, picking a few airports and flying between them is pretty easy. Getting the other companies involved is rather more difficult. It sin't like United, American or Lufthansa is offering up tours of their operations to 150+ people on a daily basis and the MegaDo crew just picked a slot. Ditto for some of the FF-related benefits which have come from the events. Buying the points - especially EQPs - outright from the airlines isn't simply a matter of calling up the main number and giving them a CC number for the deal.
Coming from a guy who hasn't been on one, but wants to, it seems to me that the MegaDo organizers have a considerable value add compared to an average charter. If $10 is what does it, then it is but a small price to pay for the considerable benefits, not just the tours/events and FF-related benefits but also getting 150+ people with a common hobby/interest together to network. Add in the things like the last MegaDo was on the 787, and you really can't beat it...
Old May 8, 2013, 12:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is a market for commercial operators out there, some have operated such tours before, the most well known was Kuoni who arranged for a charter flight by WK & LX from ZRH to TLS and giving participants some briefing on aircraft design and construction and small tours of the plant with active pilots who explained everything in detail. All for aprox 700 CHF.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:14 am
Original Poster

I guess I have been informed that future MegaDos will operate under these regs:

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title14/14...0.1.1.10.0.1.5

If so, does that mean the Star Mega Do 5 wont take place for at least 6 months? Also, is there truly a reason to join the FTEF other than merely to travel on a charter flight (from the solicitation, that seems to be the only reason to join FTEF)?:

(d) “Bona fide members” are members of an organization who: Have not joined the organization merely to travel on a charter flight; and who have been members of the chartering organization for a minimum of six months prior to the date of commencement of the affected flight; provided, that the “six month” rule does not apply to:
(1) Employees of a single commercial establishment, industrial plant, or government agency, or
(2) Students and employees of a single school.

Also, doesn't this regulation preclude selling seats for different prices as well as comping seats to the press, etc:

(e) The charter price due the direct air carrier shall be prorated equally among all the charter passengers, except that children under 12 may be offered discounted or free transportation.

This is truly a bureaucratic nightmare, it seems.

Good old Uncle Sam, making things as difficult as possible.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
I guess I have been informed that future MegaDos will operate under these regs:

http://law.justia.com/cfr/title14/14...0.1.1.10.0.1.5

If so, does that mean the Star Mega Do 5 wont take place for at least 6 months? Also, is there truly a reason to join the FTEF other than merely to travel on a charter flight (from the solicitation, that seems to be the only reason to join FTEF)?:

(d) “Bona fide members” are members of an organization who: Have not joined the organization merely to travel on a charter flight; and who have been members of the chartering organization for a minimum of six months prior to the date of commencement of the affected flight; provided, that the “six month” rule does not apply to:
(1) Employees of a single commercial establishment, industrial plant, or government agency, or
(2) Students and employees of a single school.

Also, doesn't this regulation preclude selling seats for different prices as well as comping seats to the press, etc:

(e) The charter price due the direct air carrier shall be prorated equally among all the charter passengers, except that children under 12 may be offered discounted or free transportation.

This is truly a bureaucratic nightmare, it seems.

Good old Uncle Sam, making things as difficult as possible.
Not only will they have the government watching every move, but pissed off FlyerTalkers who are ready to blow the whistle, just because they can. I am glad that I am just an outside observer.

I wonder if being a "member" also puts you at financial risk if there is a claim by another passenger of the charter? Many things to sort out.

Happily it is not my problem.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Not only will they have the government watching every move, but pissed off FlyerTalkers who are ready to blow the whistle, just because they can. I am glad that I am just an outside observer.

I wonder if being a "member" also puts you at financial risk if there is a claim by another passenger of the charter? Many things to sort out.

Happily it is not my problem.
Which FlyerTalkers are pissed off and why?
Old May 12, 2013, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which FlyerTalkers are pissed off and why?
Perhaps because they did not get to go on an SMD.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:47 am
Original Poster

(some) details posted in post #2.

Looks like this one will still be a public rather than a private charter. Guess those pesky regs got in the way on the timing after all.

While I think the USAF base tour is cool, the tour of the luggage factory seems...well...boring.

YYZ-TUS in the AM seems like a Bloody Mary blast!

All in all it looks like a good time...but still not quite interesting enough to earn my $$$.

So who is going to try to buy tickets?
Old May 13, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
i am slightly considering it, being BUF based, YYZ is a stone throw away, and as easy a start as i could hope for. though we will see the cost, always the X factor
Old May 13, 2013, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeloader
i am slightly considering it, being BUF based, YYZ is a stone throw away, and as easy a start as i could hope for. though we will see the cost, always the X factor
And availability, of course. The seat lottery Gods be with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.