Wiki Posts
Search

Star Mega Do 5

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by airbus320
Is Star Mega Do fatigue a factor in the poorer registrationfor version 5 ?
Could be. I went to the first 2, with the first one being magical. But even then I thought that if they continued they should be every few years, not yearly because otherwise they become a bit mundane or repetitive in certain aspects.

FWIW - if I had the funds (I don't due to bizness being down) I probably would have gone on the NORDIC Do, as I would already be in Europe for a biz trip that ends just before ND & because SAS did such a great job on SMD1.

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
From the seat map it appears not many seats sold over the past few days.
Old May 28, 2013, 1:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
From the seat map it appears not many seats sold over the past few days.
Uh oh. The organizers could be in Mega doodoo.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Some honest and frank navel-gazing on the MP thread.

I do think they are in a dilly of a pickle: they sold those platinum and gold memberships under the assumption that Megado seats would always be a prescious commodity and that having guaranteed access to them would have value.

Clearly this is not the case and the private charter approach has not even been implemented yet (under which one has to have paid $10 some months earlier just to have the opportunity to buy a seat thereby significantly limiting participation).

I would feel quite taken if I had paid $2k for a Guaranteed opportunity to buy a seat on a charter that looks like it may not sell out for another month or two.
Cute! Can I say "I told you so" yet?
Old May 28, 2013, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrpickles
But I heard they sold out of gold and diamond memberships...so that's 60,000 reasons they are smarter than you. @:-)
Old May 28, 2013, 10:08 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
But I heard they sold out of gold and diamond memberships
Maybe these will now be converted free of charge to zirconium memberships!
Old May 29, 2013, 1:50 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mrpickles
IMHO the right thing to do is to extend the gold and diamond memberships an extra year, and to do the same thing next year if that one doesn't sell out fast.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Maybe these will now be converted free of charge to zirconium memberships!
This had me rolling on the floor!
Old May 30, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this a schadenfreude thread ?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:52 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by airbus320
Is this a schadenfreude thread ?
Absolutely. People who wish they had the time or money to go wanting to feel better about not going. I've never gone on one, but I'm certain these events are a total blast. I have attended FTU once and I had a great time.

I applaud the organizers for taking the risk to plan and execute these events. It's a labor of love, specifically the love of creating the best party you can.

Every party planner makes mistakes now and then, but we all appreciate a great party.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

With a quick seat count showing ~50 or so still available, it appears there will be a 're-launch' of this charter event on July 3rd!

Apparently it will include hotel details (one presumes Marriotts as the fact that all participants of the SMD5 will enjoy a year+ (through 2014) of Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status has already been announced), miles from AC and/or UA and a substantially lower coach price to sell all those spare seats.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:53 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

With a quick seat count showing ~50 or so still available, it appears there will be a 're-launch' of this charter event on July 3rd!

Apparently it will include hotel details (one presumes Marriotts as the fact that all participants of the SMD5 will enjoy a year+ (through 2014) of Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status has already been announced), miles from AC and/or UA and a substantially lower coach price to sell all those spare seats.
The killer app would be allowing attendees to REDEEM miles for this trip. Given how much fun these events are, I'm puzzled why the airlines have not ALREADY auctioned MegaDo tickets to their program members for miles.

Maybe, just maybe, gleff is priming the pump for exactly this option with his VFTW post today.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
The killer app would be allowing attendees to REDEEM miles for this trip. Given how much fun these events are, I'm puzzled why the airlines have not ALREADY auctioned MegaDo tickets to their program members for miles.

Maybe, just maybe, gleff is priming the pump for exactly this option with his VFTW post today.
Presumably because the venture need to at least break even if not turn a profit! @:-)
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:04 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Presumably because the venture need to at least break even if not turn a profit! @:-)
These special events auctioned for miles ALWAYS sell at what a disinterested observer would call a high price.

The airline would have to pay the organizers full fare for the winners of the auction, but I presume that a high winning auction price in miles would make that exchange profitable on the books of the airline. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
These special events auctioned for miles ALWAYS sell at what a disinterested observer would call a high price.

The airline would have to pay the organizers full fare for the winners of the auction, but I presume that a high winning auction price in miles would make that exchange profitable on the books of the airline. Am I missing something?
Beats me.

But from appearances, I would guess that the MegaDo sponsors prefer the airlines to participate by showering their customers with miles and/or status thereby attracting more cash customers?

Or maybe the airlines don't see the value for their typical frequent flyer the way some of us nerds might and so dont want to pay for the seats to do the auction?

Or maybe the sponsors didn't think of that approach.

In any case, I guess we'll see what the value proposition is on July 3...or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.