Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Mega Do 5

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Amazing what happens when one continues to post as though they know all the details when, in fact, they don't. Seems to be a pattern of sorts in this forum for that type of behavior. A shame, really, as it has the potential to be useful to the community as a place for reasoned discussion instead of misinformation.
That's what Dr. Frankenstein was hoping. And then the pitchforks and torches showed up outside his door. . .
Old May 22, 2013, 5:56 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Amazing what happens when one continues to post as though they know all the details when, in fact, they don't. Seems to be a pattern of sorts in this forum for that type of behavior. A shame, really, as it has the potential to be useful to the community as a place for reasoned discussion instead of misinformation.
Actually, please note all the question marks. Far from knowing all the details, I feel as though I post a lot of questions to which I do not know the answers. Which is why I ask. Curious by nature, that's me!

And to be frank, I am asking these same questions in an open forum that many others ask and wonder about in PMs and emails, providing points and miles service providers an opportunity to publicly set the record straight.

So rather than an attack, a simple 'thank you' will do.

Anyway, if you know how the Megado is structured and operated and why a for profit LLC is listed alongside the FtEF as the operator of the charter, could you please enlighten the rest of us? After all, sharing information is what this place is all about. ^

Last edited by kokonutz; May 22, 2013 at 6:02 am
Old May 22, 2013, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Looks like those who tried to book on Monday have been accommodated:

Originally Posted by Randy
No do over. all those "in the system" have been contacted to book their seats and most have replied and been taken care of. When MegaDO reopens, it will pick u[ where it left off with available seats, right now about 40 in coach, two in TC Emergency Exit and a single business class seat.
And the balance of those seats go on sale in about 10 minutes!

I wish the FTEF and MEGADO, LLC better luck with their go-live this time! ^
Old May 22, 2013, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Actually, please note all the question marks.
I see them. I also see the statements - not questions - being made.

I don't know the full story and it isn't my company to speak on behalf of. But I did know that FTEF wasn't the charter company for this one before it was posted here. I don't think it matters, really, but that's because I have better things to do than pick apart every twist and turn of an organization whose existence has no material impact on my well being.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

I don't know the full story and it isn't my company to speak on behalf of. But I did know that FTEF wasn't the charter company for this one before it was posted here.
Perhaps you are less curious because you have more facts than others? @:-)

Most of us were lead to believe that Megados were non-profit productions of the FTEF (bolding mine):

Private Charter | Membership Information
MegaDOs are operated by the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF)—a nonprofit 501c3 organization. Here is information on how to become a member to fly on a MegaDO.
MegaDOs are operated by the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF)—a nonprofit 501c3 organization.
As a private charter, you must be a member of the FTEF to participate. To be a member costs $10 a year and must be charged prior to your buying a MegaDO ticket. You can cancel the membership at any time, but you have to be a member at the time of purchasing the ticket and at the time of the charter.
That assertion was also made in the email sent around marketing memberships in the FTEF (bolding and underlining mine):

The MegaDOs are currently run by the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation (FTEF), a nonprofit 501c3 organization. And for each public MegaDO we sell, there is a substantial capital cost and application cost in getting DOT approval for each event. The FTEF is a well-known, approved DOT charter operator, but the paper work costs us a lot of money every time. It also excludes us from using General Aviation terminals, which would also make things a lot easier.
Hence the confusion, curiosity and the question about Megado, LLC.

Not judgment, accusation or anything even negative. Just a question!
I don't think it matters, really, but that's because I have better things to do than pick apart every twist and turn of an organization whose existence has no material impact on my well being.
Jeez, why so judgy? Some of us curiously curate collections of points and miles providers, and some of us curiously curate information related to those service providers who curiously curate collections of points and miles providers. Different strokes and all that. I mean, there must have been times when you were mocked for all the time and effort you put into your hobby nitpicking at points and miles programs...that can't have felt very good. Glass houses.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I mean, there must have been times when you were mocked for all the time and effort you put into your hobby nitpicking at points and miles programs...
Not that I'm aware of.

It is also not clear to me where there is any mocking going on in my posts here. Perhaps you can have a moderator make that call if you feel them inappropriate.

Last edited by sbm12; May 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm
Old May 22, 2013, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Not that I'm aware of.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.

It is also not clear to me where there is any mocking going on in my posts here. Perhaps you can have a moderator make that call if you feel them inappropriate.
Thanks, but I am a strong believer in the marketplace of ideas. I would prefer that your posts stand and speak for themselves.

Anyway, we are getting far afield from the topic of this thread, which is Star Mega Do 5. @:-)
Old May 22, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am just wondering if the price point for charter, hotels and positioning flights kept people away.
I was not prepared to pay 2K in my case for a four day trip .
Air Canada is an expensive airline.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airbus320
I am just wondering if the price point for charter, hotels and positioning flights kept people away.
I was not prepared to pay 2K in my case for a four day trip .
Air Canada is an expensive airline.
Seat maps are not an indication of loads, but it appears that business class and Tommy class are sold out, while there are >40 seats left in coach.

So it seems like the market for the $2800 and the $1800 seats is strong, while the market for the $1200 seats is a little softer.

Maybe they should make the whole plane Tommy class? @:-)
Old May 23, 2013, 1:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Anyway, we are getting far afield from the topic of this thread, which is Star Mega Do 5. @:-)
Excellent point. Please feel free to exchange personal pleasantries in private, either via PM or over a suitable beverage in DC/NYC. I would rather avoid having to read any more AMP/RBP from members and/or take out my mod light sabre over this.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old May 23, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back on track.....

Is Star Mega Do fatigue a factor in the poorer registrationfor version 5 ?

Star Mega Dos :5

OWD Mega Do: 1

SkyTeam Mega Do: nil
Old May 23, 2013, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Tommy thinks the reason is the proximity of the NordicMD and SMD5 and is looking at increasing Tommy Class capacity (great minds think alike! )

From NYU on MP has a pretty exhaustive list of other potential reasons:

1 - Higher pricing of the Do itself, let alone the fly-ins, hotels (not yet priced), etc.;
2 - Not a great grouping of activities, to me, unless and until exactly what AC is planning is explained more fully, and is there more to SF than dinner in a hangar, which we did on SMD4 just a few months ago;
3 - It’s another Star Mega Do, as opposed to a Skyteam or 1World Do, either of which would’ve gotten a bigger response;
4 - It’s jumping the gun a bit at this point to move to more Tommy Class, imo, but I understand the financial issues;
5 - The introduction of Gold & Diamond status may’ve put some people off, even though those sold, but the impression...;
6 - It’s tough to pull out that many weekdays in the lead-up to Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc., especially shortly after a just-previous Do; and,
7 - There wasn’t the same PR build-up as there was for OWMD, especially, and even for SMD4, with gatherings in cities and audio-visual announcement parties and streaming this‘ and thats.
My guess is that it's hard to sell a 'once in a lifetime experience' to the same audience for the fifth time. And for better or for worse, the MP audience is much smaller than the FT audience (although I feel like I've done all I can to keep this thread at the top of the forum! ).

What holds me back from participating is the simple value proposition. That false-start Brazil Megado charter I would have done for $5k. But putzing around North America just doesn't get my juices flowing.

Anyway, I hope the boys can market and/or reconfigure their way to a sell-out.
Old May 26, 2013, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Some honest and frank navel-gazing on the MP thread.

I do think they are in a dilly of a pickle: they sold those platinum and gold memberships under the assumption that Megado seats would always be a prescious commodity and that having guaranteed access to them would have value.

Clearly this is not the case and the private charter approach has not even been implemented yet (under which one has to have paid $10 some months earlier just to have the opportunity to buy a seat thereby significantly limiting participation).

I would feel quite taken if I had paid $2k for a Guaranteed opportunity to buy a seat on a charter that looks like it may not sell out for another month or two.
Old May 26, 2013, 1:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I would feel quite taken if I had paid $2k for a Guaranteed opportunity to buy a seat on a charter that looks like it may not sell out for another month or two.
Is there a Mega Do bubble and if so what will burst it?

Old May 26, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not know how this will end.
They are between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited by airbus320; May 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.