Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
BA puts in a ton of effort to kill bot traffic also.
Try this. Go into Google Analytics / Audience / Custom / User Defined.

Click on 'Secondary Dimension' and type in or select 'Screen Colours'.

This shows your bot traffic clearly as '0-bit' and '8-bit' colour. See here. I still had 1,070 out of 197,000 sessions last week from bot traffic but I can live with 0.5%.

Old May 16, 2019, 3:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Raffles
Try this. Go into Google Analytics / Audience / Custom / User Defined.

Click on 'Secondary Dimension' and type in or select 'Screen Colours'.

This shows your bot traffic clearly as '0-bit' and '8-bit' colour. See here. I still had 1,070 out of 197,000 sessions last week from bot traffic but I can live with 0.5%.

Hey, VERY cool.

Thanks, I just learned something interesting and useful. ^
Old May 16, 2019, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Is there something Randy does around monetization that you feel you could not do on your own? Or SEO.
Very much yes on both of these. My experience has been that the Boarding Area-delivered ad RPM is significantly higher than what I can achieve elsewhere. Could I do that myself? I suppose I could try. But even paying a % commission to BA to manage I come out ahead. The SEO stuff isn't quite as cut-and-dry but the main page of the Boarding Area site as well as its social media channels do drive additional traffic.
Originally Posted by gpapadop
There are not that many long standing blogs that managed to stay alive without selling plastic AND make good money in this.
Emphasis on good money and I agree
So so you are not responsible for monetization at all. You just do content and BA inserts native ads, affiliate links, etc?
Only the display ads. Affiliate links, CCs, etc. is all managed individually.
God Save The Points has an average dwell time of 49 seconds. Our is over 2 mins 30 secs. .
I don't believe those numbers are saying what you are implying here. In Google Analytics the time on page is based on clicking to the next page. If a user bounces from the site (i.e. clicks in, reads one story and closes the tab) then the session/page time calculates as zero. There are javascript workarounds to fire a timer and log it in Google Analytics (I've added them to my sites) but typically they're not in play. As a result sites with a relatively high bounce rate (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) can have artificially low session times because many have a zero in the data. When I added the additonal tracking details it showed me a very different picture from the default analytics bit.

It is more eloquently described here: https://blog.quiet.ly/insights/under...-time-on-page/.

I have a 90% bounce rate and an average page time under a minute according to the default analytics. Looking at the custom time on page code I added suggests that number is significantly off.

Also worth noting that there are different types of bots out there. The ones that do things like indexing pages are not reporting in the 0/4-bit views.

Last edited by sbm12; May 16, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 2-5% commission on points purchases that the loyalty programs pay out doesn't hurt either
If they pay out.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If they pay out.
Points.com is THE most efficient affiliate you will ever work with. Only Google Adsense pays as quickly. You get your money the month after the sale takes place.

In truth, it is the only game in town at the moment for most bloggers.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Points.com is THE most efficient affiliate you will ever work with. Only Google Adsense pays as quickly. You get your money the month after the sale takes place.

Ironically, on the consumer end, (Points.com operates some shopping portals such as JetBlue and Amtrak), they are the absolute worst at paying out and emails are either ignored or they don't respond for 6+ months.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Which affiliate channel are you speaking of?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which affiliate channel are you speaking of?
If you mean 'which network?', most people use CJ. It's also on Impact.

If you mean 'what do I mean by affiliate?', I mean a company that pays you a cut of the sales when someone buys from their links on your site.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

If you mean 'which network?', most people use CJ. It's also on Impact.

If you mean 'what do I mean by affiliate?', I mean a company that pays you a cut of the sales when someone buys from their links on your site.
I meant which network. I read that in addition to CJ they are also on VigLink, SlimLinks, FlexOffers and Impact.

I ask because my experience with Priority Pass affiliate on Shareasale has been spotty so am wondering if it's the network that gives the good/bad experience or the actual vendor.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I meant which network. I read that in addition to CJ they are also on VigLink, SlimLinks, FlexOffers and Impact.

I ask because my experience with Priority Pass affiliate on Shareasale has been spotty so am wondering if it's the network that gives the good/bad experience or the actual vendor.
VigLink, SlimLinks, and FlexOffers are subaffiliate networks that take a cut of the commissions.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:05 am
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent

Priority Pass doesn't convert very well in general (my experience anyway) - it has little to do with the network.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SANspotter
Priority Pass doesn't convert very well in general (my experience anyway) - it has little to do with the network.
It works well over their Black Friday offer, because it is now well known that this is as good as it gets all year.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 6:24 pm
Suspended

It works well over their Black Friday offer, because it is now well known that this is as good as it gets all year.
That's because you have a UK site. In the US, nobody needs to buy a Priority Pass membership, even on sale, thanks to credit cards that have it as a benefit. You can get a 10 pass Priority Pass with a $95 Hilton card, and not only does that turn out cheaper for the traveler to get, but it's also more lucrative to bloggers. Incentives are 100% aligned in this case, for bloggers to encourage someone to sign up for that card (or any number of others that may have unlimited priority pass memberships for not that much more money out of pocket). Anyone who pushes that offer in the US (either directly or through Groupon when they offer it) doesn't have credit card offers, is an idiot ,thinks their users are idiots, or all of the above.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stuck720
That's because you have a UK site. In the US, nobody needs to buy a Priority Pass membership, even on sale, thanks to credit cards that have it as a benefit. You can get a 10 pass Priority Pass with a $95 Hilton card, and not only does that turn out cheaper for the traveler to get, but it's also more lucrative to bloggers. Incentives are 100% aligned in this case, for bloggers to encourage someone to sign up for that card (or any number of others that may have unlimited priority pass memberships for not that much more money out of pocket). Anyone who pushes that offer in the US (either directly or through Groupon when they offer it) doesn't have credit card offers, is an idiot ,thinks their users are idiots, or all of the above.
Something like 40% of my readers are not US based. So PP works ok for me. But even before COVID they were constantly running out of funds on ShareaSale.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

really great recent posts in this thread

Points.com is THE most efficient affiliate you will ever work with. Only Google Adsense pays as quickly. You get your money the month after the sale takes place. In truth, it is the only game in town at the moment for most bloggers.
what has happened to miles during bankruptcies in the past ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.