The points and miles blog business model

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I think I mentioned elsewhere that the chances of this happening under the President of/from Delaware with the US Congress situation was wishful thinking. It’s also a conveniently raised scarecrow for VFTW.
Looks like odds have gone up drastically, as its being bundled with war money.

Will be interesting to see blogs throw everything they can at it under the guise of protecting their readers instead of themselves.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Looks like odds have gone up drastically, as its being bundled with war money.

Will be interesting to see blogs throw everything they can at it under the guise of protecting their readers instead of themselves.
Is there a lobbying group for the card-pushing miles/points blogger industry? I suspect that the card-pushing bloggers are mainly going to be a free-riding, amen choir that plays the tune beloved by the lobbyists of the banking industry kingpins and card network platforms. Their business models are tied together and even if the proposal in a bill manages to pass into law, it's going to be a while before it becomes enforceable as they will try to slow down the process of a law becoming administratively enforceable regulation.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The Points Guy has an article urging readers to write to their Congressmen to oppose this anti consumer initiative...LOL
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
The Points Guy has an article urging readers to write to their Congressmen to oppose this anti consumer initiative...LOL
My favorite is when proud libertarian Gary writes 5,000 words on why more competition is bad
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
My favorite is when proud libertarian Gary writes 5,000 words on why more competition is bad
Article posted with this absolutely hilarious line:

For banks covered by the law, they’d no longer make as much on credit cards. So they’d no longer spend as much marketing cards to consumers, investing putting cards in the hands of consumers. That makes credit less available.
https://viewfromthewing.com/how-capp...s-the-economy/

He of course is concerned that their marketing budget flows directly into his pocket through referral links.
Markie and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You always know an argument is failing when people fall back on ‘xxxx did this and prices in shops did not fall’.

Firstly because, of course, retailers have multiple other ever-increasing costs except card fees.

Secondly because even someone with the thinnest grasp of economic theory knows that any business making ‘excess’ profits by pocketing cuts in overheads will soon find a competitor attacking them who is prepared to pass that through.

(And even if the retailer DID pocket the savings in card fees, why is that worse than Visa pocketing it? The retailer is more likely to use the money to open more sites and hire more people, creating growth - unlike Visa.)
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Raffles
You always know an argument is failing when people fall back on ‘xxxx did this and prices in shops did not fall’.

Firstly because, of course, retailers have multiple other ever-increasing costs except card fees.

Secondly because even someone with the thinnest grasp of economic theory knows that any business making ‘excess’ profits by pocketing cuts in overheads will soon find a competitor attacking them who is prepared to pass that through.

(And even if the retailer DID pocket the savings in card fees, why is that worse than Visa pocketing it? The retailer is more likely to use the money to open more sites and hire more people, creating growth - unlike Visa.)
This argument can be used against every regulation, of course. Yet, regulation exists.
Of course, even someone with the thinnest grasp of economic theory knows that money is fungible, and there are other ways firms can alter their balance. For example, they can spend less money funding blogger sales people.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The interchange fee cap in the EU on personal debit/credit cards (0.2/0.3%) that came into force in the late 2010s was actually devised on the basis to protect the consumer: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres...n/MEMO_16_2162

The branded CCs didn't vanish though. Instead the issuers mostly hiked the annual fees to cover some of their costs. Affiliate income for bloggers shilling CCs was never that high though, so its difficult to see the impact it may have had on the shilling industry.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The branded CCs didn't vanish though. Instead the issuers mostly hiked the annual fees to cover some of their costs. Affiliate income for bloggers shilling CCs was never that high though, so its difficult to see the impact it may have had on the shilling industry.
Let me tell you a story. At its peak, Head for Points covered 25 UK credit cards which earned miles and points. Only 7-8 actually paid commission to anyone (MBNA never did it, Lloyds Bank never did it, Creation never did it). I would get paid on under 1/3rd of cards that Head for Points discussed.

Post the EU changes, almost all of the cards which DIDN'T pay left the market. The market shrank hugely but the % of that market on which you could earn commissions increased sharply to almost 100%. Because people are still applying for as many cards as before - just from a smaller pool - everyone has done better.

Handily, the newcomers to the market in the last 5 years - Virgin Money and Barclaycard - also decided to pay.

It's all peanuts though. I need to sell 10 Virgin Atlantic credit cards to match the US commission on one high-end Chase card, and I have a target market which is 75% smaller by population and probably 90% smaller in terms of inclination to get a mileage card.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:58 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
Handily, the newcomers to the market in the last 5 years - Virgin Money and Barclaycard - also decided to pay.
Yeah, definitely noticed lol.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Future of blogging 2023 and onwards ...l

Sitting comfy on my hospital bed doing some informed reading about point.me ....
Easy read to fall asleep....
It all unfolds like a mystery novel by Jessica Fletcher ......

I bumped into:
https://thecode.co/case-study/god-save-the-points/
&
https://www.godsavethepoints.com/gst...-subscription/
https://memberful.com/meet-our-custo...savethepoints/
&
Put into motion with:
https://gstp.memberful.com/join

Besides Point.me being the shared tool where major bloggers (GSTP&OMAAT&VFTW) have all a stake in ......
or are being promoted by their buddies LALF and on BoardingArea

Can we see OMAAT / VFTW going the same way for the future with paid subscriptions?

I surely hope niche HfP & LL won't.....
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The case study misses the bit where Gib goes back to Boarding Area because the new ad partner can't deliver and his content drops to a handful of articles per week written by third parties because of his point.me commitments :-)

Full credit for getting traffic from Flipboard though because we've been dropping stuff there for years with zero traction.

Last edited by Raffles; Apr 1, 2023 at 4:09 am
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I suppose collecting '$ 2.00 cents' from 50-100 subscribers a month is more than BAreas ad revenue/payout
Old Apr 5, 2023, 10:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by lsquare
Are you still on BA?

Why do most blogs fail after six months and where did you get this data from?

Given your experience, can anyone get card affiliate links from Chase and AMEX on their blog or they need certain number of views in order to be eligible to join such a program?

Even if I were to do this, it'll be a side gig as I can't quit my primary job given that I have job and income stability never mind all the benefits that I get. I'd love to be like some of the famous bloggers out there, but at this stage of my life, I can't afford to risk trying it.
If you are serious about getting into blogging even as a side-hustle then I strongly recommend you do some guided training first. You'll want to bake in SEO from the start (and by start I am even talking about what subject niche you choose to write about). There are tons of tools and advice out there and it's easy to drown in the firehose of advice. I started a blog and after 9 months it was a worthless mess. Then I did the Blogging Fast Lane course and wished I had done so before I even started. It took me a couple months to align my blog to the BFL approach and I was finally able to monetize it.

Here's a link to the Blogging Fast Lane course. At least take a look and see what you are getting yourself into and how to do it right from the start.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I'm still on BA and very happy with the team there.

Affiliate links require a LOT of work if you're going to include them in a blog and it can be incredibly hard to be approved for them. There is no hard and fast rule for how many views you need, but there are countless disclaimers and compliance checks to go through, rules you have to follow, and it can all change on a whim.
Can you give us an idea of some of the disclaimers and compliance checks that one must go through? What are the other works involved?

Originally Posted by kokonutz
If you are serious about getting into blogging even as a side-hustle then I strongly recommend you do some guided training first. You'll want to bake in SEO from the start (and by start I am even talking about what subject niche you choose to write about). There are tons of tools and advice out there and it's easy to drown in the firehose of advice. I started a blog and after 9 months it was a worthless mess. Then I did the Blogging Fast Lane course and wished I had done so before I even started. It took me a couple months to align my blog to the BFL approach and I was finally able to monetize it.

Here's a link to the Blogging Fast Lane course. At least take a look and see what you are getting yourself into and how to do it right from the start.
​​​​​​​Gotta provide an email address even to take a look at the course? I'm guessing it's not free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.