Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JetAway
Are people still signing up for credit cards simply because a blogger says do it?
Sure, after all, teens/young adults are chewing on Tide Pods just because they see it online...some of them will grow up to apply for cards from Gary et al.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Are people still signing up for credit cards simply because a blogger says do it?
Please say you are being sarcastic...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Please say you are being sarcastic...
It just seemed like something that had peaked. No more super sized bonuses, mileage devaluations, etc. made it all seem so "yesterday." Guess I'm wrong.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Guess I'm wrong.
On this point, absolutely.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
It just seemed like something that had peaked. No more super sized bonuses, mileage devaluations, etc. made it all seem so "yesterday." Guess I'm wrong.
Churning has been put down. And good luck finding award availability But selling the dream of free flights to kettles ain't over.

If it was over you wouldn't see people huckstering them in airports, FAs huckstering them on flights nor bloggers huckstering them online.

It ain't over til it's over.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Churning has been put down. And good luck finding award availability But selling the dream of free flights to kettles ain't over.

If it was over you wouldn't see people huckstering them in airports, FAs huckstering them on flights nor bloggers huckstering them online.

It ain't over til it's over.
Yes, except churning credit cards isn’t entirely over either.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Is a slow motion churn still a churn? More like stir.....
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by GUWonder

There's plenty of people travelling more with the improved economy. And, more importantly, a lot of millennials getting their first and second jobs, and first and second (or more) grown up credit cards, many of whom value travel and experiences more highly than the generations before them. The market for credit card pumping right now is YUGE.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by Raffles
Agreed. Why bother with a booking service, with all the hassle of dealing with people, when a single card application pays more?
Because paying for the fees for those bookings (and then getting reimbursed by the client) makes for a lot of manufactured spending
Old May 1, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
300,000 page views per month should get you $100k if you have no card links but monetise hard elsewhere.

Last edited by Raffles; May 1, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old May 1, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

300,000 page views per month should get you $100k if you have no card links but monetise hard elsewhere.
Is that $100k per month or year?
Old May 1, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Is that $100k per month or year?
Year

Old May 1, 2018, 11:52 am

I know for YouTube ad rev is typically $1 to $10 per thousand views. Usually around $3 per 1,000.

Just so I have this correct, you are saying that travel bloggers are getting $27 per 1,000 for regular banner ads?

Also, what level of travel blogger generates 300,000 views a month. Rene is suggesting this is low level, but I have the impression that a majority of travel blogs aren't full or even part time jobs. So it seems like a stretch that mid-low level travel blogs are making a full time living.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. I am saying if you monetise hard you could do that. Ads are a fraction. Do not underestimate what you can get for direct ad sales though. People will pay to reach high earning business travellers. College card churners, not so much.

Nomadic Matt for eg now seems to make more money teaching people how to travel blog than he does from his actual blog.

Old May 2, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

M&P blogger revenue is a notorious black box.Credit card companies like it that way. Don't want their new customers to know how much they are worth/expected to spend for having the card.

And the multiples that I have seen on blogger sell-outs look really wonky to me.

So who knows how much M&P bloggers make. More to the point,who knows that their P&L are...most of these folks are not sophisticated business people when they start out and many grew overhead very fast....

We'll never know and the bloggers themselves have no reason to be transparent nor honest about it...even after they sell.

So while it may be fun to speculate, at the end of the day what matters is the content and whether it has value for you as a reader.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.