Reload this Page >

The points and miles blog business model

The points and miles blog business model

Old May 15, 19, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
BA puts in a ton of effort to kill bot traffic also.
Try this. Go into Google Analytics / Audience / Custom / User Defined.

Click on 'Secondary Dimension' and type in or select 'Screen Colours'.

This shows your bot traffic clearly as '0-bit' and '8-bit' colour. See here. I still had 1,070 out of 197,000 sessions last week from bot traffic but I can live with 0.5%.

Old May 16, 19, 3:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Try this. Go into Google Analytics / Audience / Custom / User Defined.

Click on 'Secondary Dimension' and type in or select 'Screen Colours'.

This shows your bot traffic clearly as '0-bit' and '8-bit' colour. See here. I still had 1,070 out of 197,000 sessions last week from bot traffic but I can live with 0.5%.

Hey, VERY cool.

Thanks, I just learned something interesting and useful.
Old May 16, 19, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Is there something Randy does around monetization that you feel you could not do on your own? Or SEO.
Very much yes on both of these. My experience has been that the Boarding Area-delivered ad RPM is significantly higher than what I can achieve elsewhere. Could I do that myself? I suppose I could try. But even paying a % commission to BA to manage I come out ahead. The SEO stuff isn't quite as cut-and-dry but the main page of the Boarding Area site as well as its social media channels do drive additional traffic.
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
There are not that many long standing blogs that managed to stay alive without selling plastic AND make good money in this.
Emphasis on good money and I agree
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
So so you are not responsible for monetization at all. You just do content and BA inserts native ads, affiliate links, etc?
Only the display ads. Affiliate links, CCs, etc. is all managed individually.
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
God Save The Points has an average dwell time of 49 seconds. Our is over 2 mins 30 secs. .
I don't believe those numbers are saying what you are implying here. In Google Analytics the time on page is based on clicking to the next page. If a user bounces from the site (i.e. clicks in, reads one story and closes the tab) then the session/page time calculates as zero. There are javascript workarounds to fire a timer and log it in Google Analytics (I've added them to my sites) but typically they're not in play. As a result sites with a relatively high bounce rate (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) can have artificially low session times because many have a zero in the data. When I added the additonal tracking details it showed me a very different picture from the default analytics bit.

It is more eloquently described here: https://blog.quiet.ly/insights/under...-time-on-page/.

I have a 90% bounce rate and an average page time under a minute according to the default analytics. Looking at the custom time on page code I added suggests that number is significantly off.

Also worth noting that there are different types of bots out there. The ones that do things like indexing pages are not reporting in the 0/4-bit views.

Last edited by sbm12; May 16, 19 at 9:22 am