Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by east_west
I'm curious how BR FA pay compares to UA... I think most would agree that BR FAs deserve a significant pay premium over UA FAs given that BR FAs provide far superior service. And the soft product difference leads to a clear price premium for BR over UA for comparable flights. I can see why BR FAs would expect to be paid significantly more, especially if any of them have taken a UA flight with the typical surly service. Not to mention that every BR FA is at least bilingual whereas most UA FAs are not.

Of course as a customer, I would prefer there not to be a strike (and in fact, I've booked most of my summer travel for UA).
My experience differs on all counts here. BR is consistently about 25% cheaper than UA on SFO-TPE in J every time I book a trip. That is one of the main reasons I take BR. I certainly prefer BR over UA for a number of reasons but I would not be able to justify anywhere near the price differential in reverse.

I would say BR FA service is generally only average, especially since I fly longhaul where, apparently (as I learned on this forum), all the new FAs are assigned. I do acknowledge that (the few times) when I have flown shorthaul on BR, I have found the service much better and with clearly more-experienced FAs. I also find the English skills of many of these FAs to be rather poor - calling them bilingual would be quite generous.

This is just my observation from experience and not suggesting that BR FAs should be paid more or less than their counterparts on other airlines, but it also does not help my opinion of the union - especially when the strike is purely for economic benefit. It is not like we are talking about 10-year-olds working in dangerous coal mines for 80 hours a week. (And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, I have a flight scheduled during the potential strike period so I am certainly not happy about it.)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by unleashed
Any updates on the above-mentioned discussion?
Something else occurred.

Some people who are part of the union for FA and Pilots, also created an EVA union for everyone, is now asking EVA to pay NT 5,000/day for each day during the strike (if it happens). Not all EVA employees are part of that union as there is another union created for everyone in EVA. It's been said that there are selective screening processes for who can join this union (cannot be verified). This union wants a negotiation with EVA as well on 7/15 and will include this NT 5,000/day compensation into the conversation.

So there are now 4 unions. A union for pilots, a Taoyuan union for FAs, two additional EVA unions for everyone. FAs and pilots can join 2+ unions.

This appears to be a move to appease the ground staff as most ground staff are not pro what the Taoyuan FA union wants.

EVA is saying it's the same people who are controlling in both unions trying to create chaos in the company.

Some ground staff don't buy what the FA wants and created their own green ribbon pact to support EVA (been there for 1+ month). Most ground staff don't want to strike not only because they are easily replaced, but they are also the people who have to handle the aftermath of the strike. The FAs and Pilots don't have to do anything after the strike, they just go back to rotation after everything is back on schedule, but the ground staff still have to clean up the mess (whether in-house or at the airport).
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Star Alliance
Unions are just garbage all around. They like to stir non sense and their demands are beyond unreasonable at times. Unions arent there for the employees. They're only there to spite the company to pay the employees so employees can pay them.

at my work we pay the union more than 1kUSD per year and they do nothing but demand nonsense from management. In turn management turns on us and expect more work.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Something else occurred.

Some people who are part of the union for FA and Pilots, also created an EVA union for everyone, is now asking EVA to pay NT 5,000/day for each day during the strike (if it happens). Not all EVA employees are part of that union as there is another union created for everyone in EVA. It's been said that there are selective screening processes for who can join this union (cannot be verified). This union wants a negotiation with EVA as well on 7/15 and will include this NT 5,000/day compensation into the conversation.

So there are now 4 unions. A union for pilots, a Taoyuan union for FAs, two additional EVA unions for everyone. FAs and pilots can join 2+ unions.

This appears to be a move to appease the ground staff as most ground staff are not pro what the Taoyuan FA union wants.

EVA is saying it's the same people who are controlling in both unions trying to create chaos in the company.

Some ground staff don't buy what the FA wants and created their own green ribbon pact to support EVA (been there for 1+ month). Most ground staff don't want to strike not only because they are easily replaced, but they are also the people who have to handle the aftermath of the strike. The FAs and Pilots don't have to do anything after the strike, they just go back to rotation after everything is back on schedule, but the ground staff still have to clean up the mess (whether in-house or at the airport).
Next, management should create their own union for having to deal with all these staff unions. /s
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy

I’m actually doing sea-tpe-Bkk on June 22nd as well. My feeling is that there are two flights out of Seattle on the 22nd, so they’ll find some way for me to get to Tpe. And there are 3-4 BR flights and another 3 codeshare flights each day that getting to BKK from TPE shouldn’t be an issue.

But, I can understand wanting more certainty for a trip you’ve planned for so long.
Thanks. I'm on BR025 and didn't realize BR003 was also going 30 min earlier. So that makes me feel a bit better. Are you suggesting that perhaps a strike wouldn't affect both flights? I get that it may be conjecture.

Just stick with EVA. You don't have many options if your situation is this complicated.

From what we know the flights that are suppose to be secured are the ones flown only by EVA, so Seattle should be one of them.
May I ask what you mean by secured and flown only by EVA? You are suggesting that a strike wouldn't affect this SEA-TPE route?

Is there any more news on possibility or probability of a strike? English language news is so sparse.

For the time being I've not modified any reservations. My preferred alternatives at the moment (in the event that I know about an actual strike far enough in advance) are CX SEA-HKG-BKK (leaving a day early since the don't fly on 6/22) or crossing the border to take CI YVR-TPE-BKK.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by lemarts
May I ask what you mean by secured and flown only by EVA? You are suggesting that a strike wouldn't affect this SEA-TPE route?

Is there any more news on possibility or probability of a strike? English language news is so sparse.

For the time being I've not modified any reservations. My preferred alternatives at the moment (in the event that I know about an actual strike far enough in advance) are CX SEA-HKG-BKK (leaving a day early since the don't fly on 6/22) or crossing the border to take CI YVR-TPE-BKK.
MOT instructed EVA to put priorities on getting passengers to their destinations for the ones solely operated by EVA. Since CI does not operate TPE-SEA, it's likely this route will not be affected (at least not from the start of the strike). TPE-BKK will likely be affected unless you are on one of the flights bound for Europe, but there are many alternatives to BKK from TPE (CI, TG, CX via HKG etc).

As previously mentioned, there are some sources indicating not all FAs who voted support the decision, but more are worried being isolated if they don't go vote. Though, none of us can vouch this being the case. There are also around ~1300 FAs who did not vote, voted no, or were not in the union, so it's likely the initial operations won't be as severe as you would think. More people are suggesting the strike will not be successful, maybe it won't even start. More to reveal after the supposed 6/20 meeting (not sure LIVE or not).

In case strike does occur: For long haul, one can speculate the flights that will likely be canceled are the multiple flights in LAX and SFO (probably keep 1 each) and then axe the additional frequencies at SEA. If axing LAX and SFO are not enough, then you can expect the new routes will get cut, such as IAH and ORD, then maybe JFK and we will round back to SEA, LAX and SFO. For Europe, the flights that are likely to be gone will first be VIE, then AMS, CDG and LHR. BNE will likely be axed from the initial phase. Regional you can expect cuts from multiple frequency flights such as HKG, MFM, KIX, SEL, TYO, SIN or even some of the restricted flights such as SHA, HAN, SGN.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:16 am

MOT instructed EVA to put priorities on getting passengers to their destinations for the ones solely operated by EVA. Since CI does not operate TPE-SEA, it's likely this route will not be affected (at least not from the start of the strike). TPE-BKK will likely be affected unless you are on one of the flights bound for Europe, but there are many alternatives to BKK from TPE (CI, TG, CX via HKG etc).

As previously mentioned, there are some sources indicating not all FAs who voted support the decision, but more are worried being isolated if they don't go vote. Though, none of us can vouch this being the case. There are also around ~1300 FAs who did not vote, voted no, or were not in the union, so it's likely the initial operations won't be as severe as you would think. More people are suggesting the strike will not be successful, maybe it won't even start. More to reveal after the supposed 6/20 meeting (not sure LIVE or not).

In case strike does occur: For long haul, one can speculate the flights that will likely be canceled are the multiple flights in LAX and SFO (probably keep 1 each) and then axe the additional frequencies at SEA. If axing LAX and SFO are not enough, then you can expect the new routes will get cut, such as IAH and ORD, then maybe JFK and we will round back to SEA, LAX and SFO. For Europe, the flights that are likely to be gone will first be VIE, then AMS, CDG and LHR. BNE will likely be axed from the initial phase. Regional you can expect cuts from multiple frequency flights such as HKG, MFM, KIX, SEL, TYO, SIN or even some of the restricted flights such as SHA, HAN, SGN.
My guess is they preserve SFO since that is business/corporate heavy and Europe gets the axe (leisure).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:41 am

I forgot to list YVR, I expect that to be axed as well after IAH/ORD.

Originally Posted by east_west
My guess is they preserve SFO since that is business/corporate heavy and Europe gets the axe (leisure).
In terms of leisure, probably. The other problem is that those flights bound to Europe (except CDG and VIE) are going to use more crew rotation for less flights, so it won't be surprised if AMS is on the initial axe list. VIE is definitely the first one to be axed along with BNE (since they use the 787).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by lemarts
Thanks. I'm on BR025 and didn't realize BR003 was also going 30 min earlier. So that makes me feel a bit better. Are you suggesting that perhaps a strike wouldn't affect both flights? I get that it may be conjecture.

For BR25 on 6/22, the FAs are the ones from BR26 on 6/20. Given their meeting is on the 20th, it seems unlikely they’ll strike that evening—we should be good to go on that flight. The only question is TPE-BKK, but there are a lot of options for that route.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
For BR25 on 6/22, the FAs are the ones from BR26 on 6/20. Given their meeting is on the 20th, it seems unlikely they’ll strike that evening—we should be good to go on that flight. The only question is TPE-BKK, but there are a lot of options for that route.
You need the plane to be there too.

Also, FAs at outstations will not strike. They will have no place to stay if they join.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:07 pm

In case strike does occur: For long haul, one can speculate the flights that will likely be canceled are the multiple flights in LAX and SFO (probably keep 1 each.
What would be the most likely strategy and reasons behind it on which flight to cancel?
e.g. on LAX-TPE there are two flights departing within 35 minutes of each other: BR11 at 00:15 and BR15 at 00:50
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BR CoC seem to say that the passengers are on their own if there is a strike. I guess it will be interesting to see how they actually do it...

9.2 CANCELLATION, CHANGES OF SCHEDULES, ETC.

9.2.1 When circumstances so require, EVA may without notice substitute alternate Carriers or aircraft, or cancel, terminate, divert, postpone or delay any flight or the further right of carriage or reservation of Passenger or aircraft deployment and determine if any departure or landing should be made, without any liability except to refund in accordance with the Conditions of Carriage. EVA’s regulation and/or the applicable laws, the fare and Baggage charges for any unused portion of the Ticket:

9.2.1.1 because of any event beyond our control (including, but without limitation, meteorological conditions, acts of God, Force Majeure, strikes, riots, civil commotion, embargoes, wars, hostilities, disturbances, or unsettled international conditions) actual, threatened or reported; or

9.2.1.2 because of any fact or event not reasonably to be foreseen, anticipated or predicted; or

9.2.1.3 because of any government regulations, demand or requirement; or

9.2.1.4 because of shortage of labour, fuel or facilities, labour difficulties of us or others.

9.2.2 Except as otherwise provided by the applicable law, if EVA cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fail to stop at destination or Stopover, or cause Passenger to miss a connecting flight on which Passenger holds a confirmed reservation, EVA shall, in its reasonable discretion option, either:

9.2.2.1 carry the Passenger at the earliest opportunity on another EVA’s scheduled Passenger services on which space is available; or

9.2.2.2 within a reasonable period of time reroute the Passenger to the destination indicated on the Ticket or applicable portion thereof by EVA’s own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another Carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the fare, excess Baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the Ticket or applicable portion thereof, EVA shall require no additional fare or charge from the Passenger, and shall refund the difference if the fare and charges for the revised routing are lower; or

9.2.2.3 make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 10.2. And shall be under no further liability to the Passenger.

Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by unleashed
What would be the most likely strategy and reasons behind it on which flight to cancel?
e.g. on LAX-TPE there are two flights departing within 35 minutes of each other: BR11 at 00:15 and BR15 at 00:50
I wouldn't know how exact BR would want to do it, but you should expect the earlier flight to be canceled cause:

1. People will check in base on departure time. If they wants to transfer passengers to another airline, there would be sufficient time and more choices when flights are still going out (CI/CX/NH).
2. The later the flight, the worse it gets as passengers will be stranded at the airport overnight. The airline wouldn't want to keep passengers there creating havoc and it's not good for the press.
3. Number of passengers on each flight, as in the amount they need to move (work to do, even if it's just BR to BR). I would believe the 00:50 flight has more passengers as the arrival time at TPE is much friendly for O/D. 00:15 will likely be transit passengers' choice, but then 00:50 will still be able to make most flights for connections.
4. Flights that have more passengers bound for TPE. In case the passenger is bound for another city, it makes sense to transfer them to another carrier if the transfer time is the same.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past, BR could not even handle 1 plane going IRROPS at an outstation (e.g. problems at YYZ). I wonder how they are preparing for this system-wide. Poor airport employees are going to take the brunt of the abuse from passengers.

Last edited by username; Jun 16, 2019 at 11:49 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Due to fly LHR to BKK on the 26th in RL are EVA likely to arrange an alternate carrier if the flight is cancelled? TG is the only other direct option with a similar departure time would it only be Star alliance flights they arranged an alternate with or could it be any airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.