Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gradual decrease in service on EVA

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Gradual decrease in service on EVA

Just wanted to add my two cents regarding recent experiences on EVA. The past several months, I've noticed a gradual decrease in service. The last flight - BR26 (TPE to SEA) a few days ago in RL class, didn't have an opportunity to pre-order a meal and was disappointed to discover they only offered two choices now on the menu, instead of three options on past flights. Also, pajamas were no longer offered (which didn't matter too much since they've never provided a size that fit anyway) and apparently they have redesigned the slippers as they are quite a bit smaller now and would no longer fit my feet. If they had been even 1/4" wider, they would have just fit just fine.

In addition, I seldom sleep during flights and have noticed that nobody comes through the cabin after the main meal service to offer snacks and drinks any longer. In the past, they would make the rounds about every 90 minutes to two hours and the previous four flights I've taken to and from TPE in the last 10 months, I haven't noticed anyone coming through.

Did receive the dark red Rimowa amenity kit which I'll give to my niece as she enjoys collecting them.

The flight crew was quite pleasant and professional though as usual in all their interactions with me.

EVA has done more promotional campaigns in North America the past year or two so, it's a bit surprising that they continue to give the impression that they do not wish to cater to Western passengers. It's really a shame that those in the decision making process at EVA don't seem to understand that Western people in general tend to be bigger/taller than Asians. It would be a very welcome and pleasant gesture if we could be made to feel included rather than the opposite.

Last edited by KennethG; May 1, 2019 at 6:55 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by KennethG
Just wanted to add my two cents regarding recent experiences on EVA. The past several months, I've noticed a gradual decrease in service. The last flight - BR26 (TPE to SEA) a few days ago in RL class, didn't have an opportunity to pre-order a meal and was disappointed to discover they only offered two choices now on the menu, instead of three options on past flights. Also, pajamas were no longer offered (which didn't matter too much since they've never provided a size that fit anyway) and apparently they have redesigned the slippers as they are quite a bit smaller now and would no longer fit my feet. If they had been even 1/4" wider, they would have just fit just fine.

In addition, I seldom sleep during flights and have noticed that nobody comes through the cabin after the main meal service to offer snacks and drinks any longer. In the past, they would make the rounds about every 90 minutes to two hours and the previous four flights I've taken to and from TPE in the last 10 months, I haven't noticed anyone coming through.

Did receive the dark red Rimowa amenity kit which I'll give to my niece as she enjoys collecting them.

The flight crew was quite pleasant and professional though as usual in all their interactions with me.

EVA has done more promotional campaigns in North America that past year or two so, it's a bit surprising that they continue to give the impression that they do not wish to cater to Western passengers. It's really a shame that those in the decision making process at EVA don't seem to understand that Western people in general tend to be bigger/taller than Asians. It would be a very welcome and pleasant gesture if we could be made to feel included rather than the opposite.
Pajamas are still offered. The size issue is ridiculous, but I don't think many people complain since a lot of pax are of Asian descent.

They are not supposed to be making rounds through the cabin; Eva's policy is if you need anything, ring the bell.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Pajamas are still offered. The size issue is ridiculous, but I don't think many people complain since a lot of pax are of Asian descent.

They are not supposed to be making rounds through the cabin; Eva's policy is if you need anything, ring the bell.
They have XL now (up to 6 of them on each flight) that you can request when they take size orders.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:35 pm

EVA has done more promotional campaigns in North America that past year or two so, it's a bit surprising that they continue to give the impression that they do not wish to cater to Western passengers. It's really a shame that those in the decision making process at EVA don't seem to understand that Western people in general tend to be bigger/taller than Asians. It would be a very welcome and pleasant gesture if we could be made to feel included rather than the opposite.
Why didn't you have the opportunity to pre-order a meal? I just logged in to the EVA website and ordered mine for next week. I think you do need to submit 48 hours in advance, but that's always been the policy. Was this a tech glitch, and if yes, did you flag to their customer service team?
Old May 1, 2019, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardworking21
Why didn't you have the opportunity to pre-order a meal?
It was an upgrade ticket and I didn't get notified that I was approved for the upgrade until the night before the flight. By then it was too late to order a meal.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
They have XL now (up to 6 of them on each flight) that you can request when they take size orders.
Do you know when they started offering XL? On my previous flight in March (BR15 / LAX-TPE), they asked if I wanted pajamas and said they only had sizes M and L.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Was this a recent policy change? In past years, they have come through and if noticed I was awake, would at least stop by and ask if I'd like anything. Even in Elite, they aren't coming through with their trays of assorted juices and water, nor baskets of snacks as they have previously.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
BR is having some serious labor issues recently, including the "Butt" incident, which may explain the decline in service.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:04 pm

It was an upgrade ticket and I didn't get notified that I was approved for the upgrade until the night before the flight. By then it was too late to order a meal.
Ah, gotcha. Well, congratulations on getting the upgrade! But the standard policy has always been orders are taken up to 48 hours in advance, and sadly it sounds like because your upgrade cleared after the deadline, you couldn't pre-order. Know that this wasn't targeted at you or anything - standard policy across all EVA tickets.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Do you know when they started offering XL? On my previous flight in March (BR15 / LAX-TPE), they asked if I wanted pajamas and said they only had sizes M and L.
XL has been available since the Jason Wu style came out. It’s possible that they were out of that size because they might load them in TPE. In any case, it’s strange. They should have it.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hardworking21
Why didn't you have the opportunity to pre-order a meal? I just logged in to the EVA website and ordered mine for next week. I think you do need to submit 48 hours in advance, but that's always been the policy. Was this a tech glitch, and if yes, did you flag to their customer service team?
The cutoff is actually only 24 hours in advance for meal preorders on BR, and up to 21 days in advance.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strife
The cutoff is actually only 24 hours in advance for meal preorders on BR, and up to 21 days in advance.
I probably just missed the cutoff by a few hours. I had checked the morning the day before the flight and it was still shown as Wait List. When I checked again later that night, it stated that my booking status had changed and to call their reservation office. At any rate, I was just a bit surprised/disappointed that the menu on-board only listed two options for main courses instead of three as in the past.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:13 pm

XL has been available since the Jason Wu style came out. It’s possible that they were out of that size because they might load them in TPE. In any case, it’s strange. They should have it.
Even if they offer M, L, and XL, and sizes themselves are ridiculous. I'm 5'5" and usually wear size 8 (which would be considered "large" for an Asian female). The medium top runs large but the pants barely hit my ankles. The large size fits my 6' tall husband perfectly though. I ended up giving the M pants to my mom who is 5'2". So I guess if you're between 5''5" and 6', you're out of luck.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

No idea who Jason Wu is, but it would have been much nicer if they could have left well enough alone and not changed anything. Especially the slippers. Their previous product worked just fine. Now they have gone and changed it to something that is completely useless to me. Don't mind the occasional style change, but to make something even smaller is in no way helpful.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I probably just missed the cutoff by a few hours. I had checked the morning the day before the flight and it was still shown as Wait List. When I checked again later that night, it stated that my booking status had changed and to call their reservation office. At any rate, I was just a bit surprised/disappointed that the menu on-board only listed two options for main courses instead of three as in the past.
That change has been effective January 1st of this year.

It's unfortunate you did not get to choose your meal. I understand the size issues; I've had plenty of issues too but have given up complaining because it seems I am the only one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.