FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1673701-star-alliance-upgrade-award-eva.html)

krispykrme Nov 18, 2018 3:27 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30441316)
Not according to some reports. See post #56 above.

Dont go there.

I posted screen shots before and dared someone on the forum to prove otherwise.

Again- the only guarantee that SAUA will clear is I-class.

Not Z. Z has always been total award/upgrade space BR uses for its own program. I is a subset of Z and that is what SAUA bucket comes from. While after it clears, it will become Z on boarding pass. It does not mean when Z is available SAUA will clear.

i have called BR, posted screen shot to show otherwise.

There are couple people here works for Trip+ website that sells SAUA upgrade and has been telling Z class availability guarantee SAUA upgrade on BR. Reality is total BS.

escape4 Nov 18, 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by princesakura (Post 29575011)
BR 27, I available, Z not available, EF says yes, KVS says yes, SAUA not possible

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 30441485)
Dont go there.
Not Z. Z has always been total award/upgrade space BR uses for its own program. I is a subset of Z and that is what SAUA bucket comes from. While after it clears, it will become Z on boarding pass. It does not mean when Z is available SAUA will clear.

Sorry if I am fueling the confusion, but is @princesakura's post not the proof that you are looking for that i-class does not guarantee SAUA? He seems to think you need both i and z to guarantee it. And does it not prove that i is NOT a subset of z, otherwise how can i be available and not z? :confused:

skimthetrees Nov 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Dont go there.

I looked all through this thread and could not locate the screenshots you posted. Could you point me to the post with your screenshots?

i have called BR, posted screen shot to show otherwise.

There are couple people here works for Trip+ website that sells SAUA upgrade and has been telling Z class availability guarantee SAUA upgrade on BR. Reality is total BS.

The below post contradicts your assertion that I-Class guarantees SAUA will clear. I have seen some posts that say Z is required to book but it shows as I on the ticket.
It could be that EVA at some point changed the way SAUA works. What would be most helpul today is to know how it works now, not how it may have worked 2 years ago if that is different. Any recent data points of people checking both Z (through EVA) and I space and how this affected SAUA?

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 29572018)
As stated, every time I have used SAUA there has not been I class availability.

gengar Nov 19, 2018 1:59 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30442774)
The below post contradicts your assertion that I-Class guarantees SAUA will clear. I have seen some posts that say Z is required to book but it shows as I on the ticket.
It could be that EVA at some point changed the way SAUA works. What would be most helpul today is to know how it works now, not how it may have worked 2 years ago if that is different. Any recent data points of people checking both Z (through EVA) and I space and how this affected SAUA?

I have successfully upgraded using SAUA probably 7-8 times over the last 2-3 years, most recently in September of this year (two months ago). Not once has there ever been I availability, because if there had been I availability I would have booked a straight award ticket (this is also the stated rationale for many other FT'ers, and is the reason we have so many data points on this issue).

Each time, I have called in to BR's Taipei office, confirmed Z availability, and SAUA has been successful.

In case more evidence is necessary, there are many reports from other FT'ers of successful SAUA despite I=0, with many of these FT'ers reporting Z>0. Additionally, as skimthetrees mentions above, at least one FT'er has reported being unable to upgrade when I>0 and Z=0. Here are links to some of these reports: posts [63] [64] [65] [70] [71] [72] [76] [77] in this thread and also post [118] from the UA-specific SAUA thread.

krispykrme Nov 19, 2018 2:53 am

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c35cc1fb9e.png

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 30444470)
I have successfully upgraded using SAUA probably 7-8 times over the last 2-3 years, most recently in September of this year (two months ago). Not once has there ever been I availability, because if there had been I availability I would have booked a straight award ticket (this is also the stated rationale for many other FT'ers, and is the reason we have so many data points on this issue).

Each time, I have called in to BR's Taipei office, confirmed Z availability, and SAUA has been successful.

In case more evidence is necessary, there are many reports from other FT'ers of successful SAUA despite I=0, with many of these FT'ers reporting Z>0. Additionally, as skimthetrees mentions above, at least one FT'er has reported being unable to upgrade when I>0 and Z=0. Here are links to some of these reports: posts [63] [64] [65] [70] [71] [72] [76] [77] in this thread and also post [118] from the UA-specific SAUA thread.

1. One of the success guy already admitted he didn’t check I inventory.

2. Expertflyer also classified I as SAUA and award bucket.

3. I posted the screen shots to show only I clears.

The only way to full Gurantee SAUA is I class.

Dave510 Nov 19, 2018 8:58 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 30444551)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c35cc1fb9e.png

1. One of the success guy already admitted he didn’t check I inventory.

2. Expertflyer also classified I as SAUA and award bucket.

3. I posted the screen shots to show only I clears.

The only way to full Gurantee SAUA is I class.

None of your screenshots show what you're claiming. You've shown a successful upgrade at I > 0, but your screenshot did not show if there was Z > 0. Nothing in your screenshots preclude the (very likely) possibility that when you successfully upgraded, there was Z inventory as well (which is why it cleared, not I).

Once again, it's necessary to show 3 things: a cleared upgrade, I > 0 AND Z = 0, you've never shown 3 to be true in any of your proof. This is just a simple matter of logic.

Finally, many posters have data points showing the reverse is true: a cleared upgrade, Z > 0 AND I = 0, which contradict your assertion. It's also pretty awful to accuse people of being from Trip+ website with no proof... Do I happen to work for Trip+ too?

jamesl Nov 24, 2018 1:42 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 30441270)

No it’s not.

Z won’t get you upgraded. BR reservation will not be able to tell u I class.

Only I-class will SAUA clear. You can only verify this via UA website or expertflyer.

No no other work around.

I booked two SAUA in the past two weeks successfully. In both cases I asked "is SAUA available?" and I was told "it might be, you need to confirm with UA" then I followed with "is that Z class you're seeing" and in both instances that was affirmative. I was successful in both cases where Z>0.

It's entirely possible that there is a subset of Z for SAUA since it seems like Z is the bucket for all upgrade awards (ILM and *A). However, I don't know if that's I, since the EVA ticketing agents themselves only look for Z. And it seems so far it doesn't matter since all the datapoints point to SAUA being successful if Z>0.

krispykrme Dec 1, 2018 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Dave510 (Post 30445369)
None of your screenshots show what you're claiming. You've shown a successful upgrade at I > 0, but your screenshot did not show if there was Z > 0. Nothing in your screenshots preclude the (very likely) possibility that when you successfully upgraded, there was Z inventory as well (which is why it cleared, not I).

Once again, it's necessary to show 3 things: a cleared upgrade, I > 0 AND Z = 0, you've never shown 3 to be true in any of your proof. This is just a simple matter of logic.

Finally, many posters have data points showing the reverse is true: a cleared upgrade, Z > 0 AND I = 0, which contradict your assertion. It's also pretty awful to accuse people of being from Trip+ website with no proof... Do I happen to work for Trip+ too?

Actually no. When I posted screen shot, I also posted BR call center agent which stated Z>3 and I was 0. And I didn’t get cleared on BR18/28 on 10/7. Resulting I had to take BR8 on 10/8 and go to office that Monday morning.

expertflyer isn’t wrong. Experflyer used to show Z until early this year. I am not sure why it was removed.

[Personal comment redacted by moderator] Because same thing happened last year and I was able to pull Z inventory in experflyer that showed Z was available and no I and my daughter didn’t get cleared.

skimthetrees Dec 1, 2018 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 30487686)
Experflyer used to show Z until early this year. I am not sure why it was removed.

Pretty sure that's a no. ExpertFlyer has not shown Z for EVA since I have been checking for probably 3 years. Before that? I do not know but I do not recall seeing any reports of it.

krispykrme Dec 1, 2018 7:15 pm

Ok- I just spend another $100 to prove that Z doesn't means 100% upgradeable SAUA. With no I-class space, SAUA will fail.

Below is call I had with BR for 12/5 and 12/6 BR7 Z class space availability. EVA confirming Z>5 for BR 7 for 12/6/18- (its in Chinese)

Expertflyer shows no I- class available

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1833288fbd.png

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c87f1ec26b.png

SAUA Upgrade fail

So are we happy now?

Again- just because EVA has Z space available. Its not 100% for sure SAUA will clear.
My experience since BR joined Star is when I-class is available- SAUA will clear no matter what. Never failed.

krispykrme Dec 1, 2018 7:29 pm

I am pretty sure as departure time gets closer. I will become available.

My point has been simple- just becareful when transferring valuable points to UA miles. I- class is as sure as 100% SAUA will clear.

Z class may clear as "others" have stated. But in some cases. It just won't clear.

This happened to me back in Oct on Taiwanese government sponsored meeting. And I was just able to duplicate the same issue.

skimthetrees Dec 2, 2018 8:47 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 30488993)
I am pretty sure as departure time gets closer. I will become available.

My point has been simple- just becareful when transferring valuable points to UA miles. I- class is as sure as 100% SAUA will clear.

Z class may clear as "others" have stated. But in some cases. It just won't clear.

This happened to me back in Oct on Taiwanese government sponsored meeting. And I was just able to duplicate the same issue.

Thanks for taking the time to help the community. It sounds to me like there is some other code that EVA uses for SAUA that is different from I and Z and we have no visibility into it. Your point is well taken about being careful transferring miles to UA for SAUA on EVA. I do not have to transfer in but for those who do they should be aware of the possibility they may not be able to use those miles for EVA SAUA when they need to.

buylowsellhigh Feb 13, 2019 2:59 am

Does anyone have any data points regards to general availability of award tickets from US West coast to TPE? I used to be able to reliably find availabities within a 1 week window, but currently, according to expertflyer and few other searches using UA and AC there's basically next to zero from LAX thru the end of Feb and well into March. April is also completely unavailable. I know CNY is winding down but wasn't sure if BR has started to block availability on entire lanes?

hayzel7773 Feb 13, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh (Post 30772587)
Does anyone have any data points regards to general availability of award tickets from US West coast to TPE? I used to be able to reliably find availabities within a 1 week window, but currently, according to expertflyer and few other searches using UA and AC there's basically next to zero from LAX thru the end of Feb and well into March. April is also completely unavailable. I know CNY is winding down but wasn't sure if BR has started to block availability on entire lanes?

BR is currently revamping their reservations system to match the new fare family concept they are introducing and are not updating their fare buckets as often as they normally do. They still have yet to load the buckets for some flights in late-December 2019, which is not good.

buylowsellhigh Feb 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773 (Post 30773541)
BR is currently revamping their reservations system to match the new fare family concept they are introducing and are not updating their fare buckets as often as they normally do. They still have yet to load the buckets for some flights in late-December 2019, which is not good.

Thank you for the info as well as the wiki on the upcoming changes, it is very helpful!

Does it look like Eva is releasing awards on their own FFP? These few months? My dilemma is that I need to choose between a PE or B ticket depending on which award bucket is available.