FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1673701-star-alliance-upgrade-award-eva.html)

djjaguar64 Nov 1, 16 10:09 am

So for SAUA to clear do you need Z or I availability on BR?

hayzel7773 Nov 1, 16 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 27421536)
So for SAUA to clear do you need Z or I availability on BR?

I. Z is for mileage upgrades.

kerfluffer Jan 18, 18 3:38 am

Can't upgrade Premium economy ticket va Star Alliance (Air Canada)

I have a Premium Economy Class/L fare from SIN->YYZ. Apparently there is no option to upgrade Premium Economy fares as there is no matching fare class in the listed acceptable fares. I find this kind of hard to believe. Anyone else face this situation?

mecheallekruger Jan 31, 18 4:26 pm

SEA-TPE-DPS

Hi everyone I have a few questions as I am looking into flying on Eva SEA-TPE-DPS on February 16th.

1. For using United miles to upgrade so I want to look for "I" or "Z" on EF?
2. If I wanted to upgrade using United miles, is "B" the correct code I am looking to book?
3. How would one purchase that correct ticket code for an Eva flight?
4. Once I purchase my ticket I then apply for the upgrade using my United miles is that correct?
5. I see through Eva's website a one-way business SEA-TPE-DPS is 75k United miles, is that a better deal than purchasing a ticket and using miles to upgrade? Not sure what the ratio is.

Really appreciate it :)

nomadic.relief Jan 31, 18 5:16 pm

I think I may have the answers here as I have been looking into similar with AE miles ... please, more BR-centric people, correct me if wrong!

1. Any *A upgrades are looking for "I" or reward availability ... only BR(EVA) can use the "Z" category ... could have this wrong
2. Correct, you need a "B" fare (or "K", which is the highest premium economy, costs quite a bit more, but at least if you lose the upgrade lotto you don't end up in econ)
3. Safest is to book via EVA website, highest priced flexible ECON seems to routinely price into "B"
4. Apply the upgrade via UA website if using UA miles (I would use AE website for Air Canada's Aeroplan miles)
5. Not sure what you mean about EVA's website showing *any* redemption for UA miles, as far as I know you can only redeem EVA miles on EVA's site. Keep in mind for *A upgrades the miles required are PER SEGMENT. Not always the best if you have two long flights ... for just one long haul and a short hop, *A upgrades can be great value.

A question for others - is there still a trend of some seats opening up closer to departure or has that disappeared and what you see is what you get?

flyCsG Jan 31, 18 7:40 pm

Just to add in my experience. I just redeemed for a YYZ-TPE (and return) SAUA for flights about 2 months ahead. Business Class redemption was not available on Aeroplan's website, and ExpertFlyer showed no 'I" availability. However, I called in to ask if the upgrade was available, and the call agent confirmed so. Purchased B fare on EVA's website, and redeemed my Aeroplan miles after on Aeroplan's website without any problems.

gpeso8 Jan 31, 18 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by mecheallekruger (Post 29364064)
Hi everyone I have a few questions as I am looking into flying on Eva SEA-TPE-DPS on February 16th.

You will run into a married segment issue if you are attempting to use an SAUA on this itinerary.

krispykrme Feb 1, 18 12:11 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 29365189)
You will run into a married segment issue if you are attempting to use an SAUA on this itinerary.

He can upgrade individually. SEA-TPE, TEP-DPS.

gpeso8 Feb 1, 18 8:18 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 29365331)

He can upgrade individually. SEA-TPE, TEP-DPS.

​​​​​It will not work with BR if he purchases SEA-TPE-DPS as a single itenarary even if each each segment has SAUA availability.

nomadic.relief Feb 1, 18 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyCsG (Post 29364732)
Just to add in my experience. I just redeemed for a YYZ-TPE (and return) SAUA for flights about 2 months ahead. Business Class redemption was not available on Aeroplan's website, and ExpertFlyer showed no 'I" availability. However, I called in to ask if the upgrade was available, and the call agent confirmed so. Purchased B fare on EVA's website, and redeemed my Aeroplan miles after on Aeroplan's website without any problems.

Curious, did you confirm *A upgrades specifically were available? I just called for my flights and was told there were upgrades available, but that it might only be for EVA, she couldn't say for sure.
*If it were out of the US I'd just purchase, try and refund within 24 hours if it didn't work, but that's not an option departing from Canada

mxqisit Feb 1, 18 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyCsG (Post 29364732)

How many Aeroplan miles did that cost? I've never done an Aeroplan upgrade before however I have a lot of miles to use up. This could be a good option for me.

krispykrme Feb 2, 18 1:38 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 29366544)
​​​​​It will not work with BR if he purchases SEA-TPE-DPS as a single itenarary even if each each segment has SAUA availability.

That is not true.

I was able to upgrade my daughter from SFO to ICN just last November.

EVA just wonít allow you to use 30k to upgrade entire trip. It wants each leg upgraded with same mile as you are upgrading one leg.

You just have to burn more miles.

You can upgrade individually even if itís married segment.

nomadic.relief Feb 3, 18 12:04 am

Originally Posted by mxqisit (Post 29368608)
How many Aeroplan miles did that cost? I've never done an Aeroplan upgrade before however I have a lot of miles to use up. This could be a good option for me.

Just did it now, thanks to flyCsG's tip! 25,000 oneway from B fare YVR-TPE. Debating adding the 90 minute connection for an additional 10,000. Odds are I'll just fall asleep anyhow, so not as convinced on the second value.

username Feb 3, 18 9:22 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 29365189)

What does this mean? Married Segment Control, by definition, is when they tie the segments together for faring purposes. BR's upgrade, by rule, is per segment.

flyCsG Feb 6, 18 4:56 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29368294)
Curious, did you confirm *A upgrades specifically were available? I just called for my flights and was told there were upgrades available, but that it might only be for EVA, she couldn't say for sure.
*If it were out of the US I'd just purchase, try and refund within 24 hours if it didn't work, but that's not an option departing from Canada

Forgot to check back on the thread. Yes, I asked specifically for SAUA.

Originally Posted by mxqisit (Post 29368608)

25K each way, so 50K total. Worth nothing my itinerary is actually YYZ-TPE-KUL-TPE-YYZ. The segments with KUL were not upgraded (no availability).