FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1673701-star-alliance-upgrade-award-eva.html)

skimthetrees Mar 29, 2019 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mxqisit (Post 30944709)
Does booking early (i.e.: T-330days or whenever tickets first open) increase the odds of SAUA accepting?

Probably. EVA has something like a 359 day booking window. If your *A miles allow you to upgrade then your odds will be pretty high. Increase your odds by calling EVA before booking to confirm upgrade space.

gengar Apr 2, 2019 2:18 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 30939830)
again- I had proved you are wrong in this.

It is not possible to disprove consensus.

fromYYZ_flyer Apr 3, 2019 9:30 pm

Upgraded my BR35/BR36 (YYZ-TPE-YYZ) flights from P to I for September at the end of last month despite there not showing any Aeroplan/United MP award availability. For $1400 to/from NRT it was the best deal out there. Considering Y+ was around the same price.

gengar Apr 4, 2019 12:08 am

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer (Post 30962753)
Upgraded my BR35/BR36 (YYZ-TPE-YYZ) flights from P to I for September at the end of last month despite there not showing any Aeroplan/United MP award availability. For $1400 to/from NRT it was the best deal out there. Considering Y+ was around the same price.

Just to confirm: Your search for full award redemption showed no availability, but you were able to upgrade via SAUA?

shd9 Apr 4, 2019 2:44 pm

Datapoint here: just upgraded 12/14 ORD-TPE via UA SAUA. I class not available as per Expertflyer. Didn’t call to check Z class.

Interestingly I was ticketed ORD-TPE-HKG with a 1hr connection in TPE, but the ORD-TPE upgrade went through fine and I didn’t encounter the married segment problem.

EDIT: changed some wording for clarification.

skimthetrees Apr 4, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by shd9 (Post 30965433)
Datapoint here: just upgraded 12/14 ORD-TPE via UA SAUA. I class not available as per Expertflyer. Didn’t call to check Z class.

Interestingly I was ticketed ORD-TPE-HKG with a 1hr connection in TPE, but the whole upgrade went through fine and I didn’t encounter the married segment problem.

Could you clarify what you mean by the "whole" upgrade went through? Did you upgrade both segments for 60k (30k * 2), both for 30k, or one for 30k miles?

shd9 Apr 4, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30965763)
Could you clarify what you mean by the "whole" upgrade went through? Did you upgrade both segments for 60k (30k * 2), both for 30k, or one for 30k miles?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. By "whole" I mean the entire upgrade process (searching availability on United, making a request, getting the UA upgrade receipt, confirming on BR that I am booked in Royal Laurel/Z and assigning me a seat, etc), not both segments. I mentioned this because some poster suggests there may be a married segment issue preventing the upgrade from happening, while I didn't encounter that problem. I feel that TPE-HKG is too short for C to worth it and by having a B class ticket I can assign myself a seat in PY anyways.

skimthetrees Apr 4, 2019 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by shd9 (Post 30966013)
Sorry for the misunderstanding. By "whole" I mean the entire upgrade process (searching availability on United, making a request, getting the UA upgrade receipt, confirming on BR that I am booked in Royal Laurel/Z and assigning me a seat, etc), not both segments. I mentioned this because some poster suggests there may be a married segment issue preventing the upgrade from happening, while I didn't encounter that problem. I feel that TPE-HKG is too short for C to worth it and by having a B class ticket I can assign myself a seat in PY anyways.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying! Good to know sometimes things do go smoothly. Enjoy the upgrade!

XFer2 Apr 8, 2019 5:46 pm

My SAUA just went through for our 4/11 flight. All 3 of us too! :D

skimthetrees Apr 8, 2019 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by XFer2 (Post 30979839)
My SAUA just went through for our 4/11 flight. All 3 of us too! :D

Congratulations! EVA does typically release a few seats near departure depending on loads but I am not sure I would have the guts to cut it as close as you. Are you still waiting on the return upgrades?

XFer2 Apr 9, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30980119)
Congratulations! EVA does typically release a few seats near departure depending on loads but I am not sure I would have the guts to cut it as close as you. Are you still waiting on the return upgrades?

Well I do my due diligence and hope for the best, and it worked out. Just transferred my next batch of 90K miles from Chase to United and will be checking it every day for my return flight. It's not looking that good since we're 9 days out and only 12 seats left.

skimthetrees Apr 9, 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by XFer2 (Post 30982791)
Well I do my due diligence and hope for the best, and it worked out. Just transferred my next batch of 90K miles from Chase to United and will be checking it every day for my return flight. It's not looking that good since we're 9 days out and only 12 seats left.

You probably have flex or semi-flex tickets though so probably it would only be a small change fee to switch flights for the return. I would be checking alternate flights to see if any had upgrade space and would happily pay a small change fee to get a flight with upgrade space.

mxqisit Apr 9, 2019 4:50 pm

Someone posted on the Aeroplan/AC forum that reward seats appear to be opening up at T-4, I'd imagine upgrades could be on the same schedule.

Quoted:

Originally Posted by svirac (Post 30971513)
I’ve been keeping an eye on BR award space, specifically on BR35 (ex YYZ), since one leg of an original OZ booking was cancelled and now have a 6+ hour layover.

BR seems to be opening last-minute I space for international flights at T-4 consistently, no earlier. T-14 definitely not, at least not in recent months. Might be a decent baseline if anyone’s looking. Obviously ExpertFlyer alerts are your best bet.

XFer2 Apr 10, 2019 12:41 pm

I was just checking for upgrade for my return flight, and got this blank warning message. I verified all info was entered correctly, and tried on 2 different browsers. Anyone know what this warning message is?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3af6a34399.jpg

Bear4Asian Apr 11, 2019 4:00 am

Originally Posted by XFer2 (Post 30986156)
I was just checking for upgrade for my return flight, and got this blank warning message. I verified all info was entered correctly, and tried on 2 different browsers. Anyone know what this warning message is?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3af6a34399.jpg

When you make a reservation on EVA you sometimes are required to put in your name like this

FamilyName FirstNameMiddleNam

e.g. For Mary Anne Smith

Smith Maryanne

look in your EVA reservation online and do it exactly the same on the United upgrade page.

Hope this works.