sbb refunding "tickets" purchased through mobile or on line

Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:01 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Per posts at https://sbbcffffs-community.sbb.ch/?...language=en-gb through April 30 they are refunding "tickets" which includes(?) 1 day saver day passes. When I submitted my request they noted it may take several days for credit to appear fifo
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
Per posts at https://sbbcffffs-community.sbb.ch/?...language=en-gb through April 30 they are refunding "tickets" which includes(?) 1 day saver day passes. When I submitted my request they noted it may take several days for credit to appear fifo
Follow-up, I received credit on my cc for 2 saver day passes.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
What I would like to do is cancel my monthly Abonnement Gnral. I have deposited it for the maximum number of days officially allowed, but I can't officially cancel it until mid May (for stopping it in mid June, which would be the legal 4 months after purchasing the AG). I am hoping the CFF SBB will allow me to cancel it earlier, given the exceptional circumstances and the fact that I am not going to use it much more this academic year. I am hoping that during the days to come such a possibility will appear.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I assume you purchased it via the mobile or sbb.com, you might try to go to the site referenced in #1 and look for the appropriate form--see what happens!
[The reason for cancellation could be "any choice".]
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually bought it over the counter in Montreux and when I went the other day to deposit it, they told me there was no special order allowing one to cancel it prematurely. The existing rules still applied, which was fair enough, let's face it. But maybe the refund rules will change this week. I will try the link you mention above all the same.

EDIT - having read the blog entries connected with the link above, it looks like ths SBB are standing firm on the existing rules of cancellation concerning the GA. There are a number of people like myself who would like to refund their GA before the 4-month term is up because they are unable to use it. Anyway, the offer from the SBB is severely cut down and restricted at the moment.

Given that I only read the English language posts, there must be loads more in German and French. Will go off and have a look now.
Although my situation is somewhat marginal here (wanting to cancel the GA season ticket before the minimum 4 month term as stipulated in the contract), I will keep you posted going forward as to what happens.

Last edited by Concerto; Mar 23, 2020 at 6:05 am Reason: more info
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:35 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
I actually bought it over the counter in Montreux and when I went the other day to deposit it, they told me there was no special order allowing one to cancel it prematurely. The existing rules still applied, which was fair enough, let's face it. But maybe the refund rules will change this week. I will try the link you mention above all the same.

EDIT - having read the blog entries connected with the link above, it looks like ths SBB are standing firm on the existing rules of cancellation concerning the GA. There are a number of people like myself who would like to refund their GA before the 4-month term is up because they are unable to use it. Anyway, the offer from the SBB is severely cut down and restricted at the moment.

Given that I only read the English language posts, there must be loads more in German and French. Will go off and have a look now.
Although my situation is somewhat marginal here (wanting to cancel the GA season ticket before the minimum 4 month term as stipulated in the contract), I will keep you posted going forward as to what happens.
Try logging-in using CHROME (google's browser) they have a TRANSLATE feature--good, but a little "fuzzy" in spots.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SBB is still refusing to change the rules for holders of the annual season ticket (the GA). The card can be deposited (hinterlegt) for a maximum of 30 days and no extension to this has been offered. In addition, the GA can only be cancelled following the rules established at the time of purchase, which is 4 months after that purchase. Really annoying, paying for something that I am not going to be using. The railway companies will certainly still be here once Corona has calmed down, so I would happily take vouchers (rather than a refund) for the future. Bit disappointed with the response and stance of SBB.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
One of the problems is that the GA is not a product of the SBB, but of all transport companies in Switzerland and they have to agree collectively about what to do about this. My own 2 cents is that at some stage they will offer an extension to the validity, but this isn't the main priority at the moment, which is to put into place and operate the service appropriate to the situation.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:48 am

On thing about the GA is that it is in fact a steal. Most people who have it will "earn back" the value of it in a couple of weeks. Four months of GA is about equivalent to 16 return trips Bern - Basel for example...
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both valuable contributions above totally true. All the transport authorities participate in the GA scheme, except some tourist mountain railways such as Jungfraujoch and Gornergrat. What would interest me is some sort of voucher or rebate for future use, given that we can't use it just now. In my case, I have the monthly GA (which is CHF340 a month) and I usually cancel it after 4 or 5 months, when we hit the summer, because I tend to go away during summer (because we don't work in the summer in the conservatoire). It's a bit dearer this way, but it gives me ultimate flexibility. Then, when work gets busy again, I buy another GA contract (which only allows cancellation after 4 months use, which is fair enough).

As for "earning it back", or amortizing it, I think that this is only the case if you use it as heavily as I do. Usually, I calculate all my trips based on the price of a normal price ticket with the half-fare card reduction, and it comes out to CHF800-1,100 use assuming all of the tickets had been bought as flexible half-fare tickets. Super saver tickets are another matter, but I really need flexibility in what I do as teaching and rehearsal schedules change a surprising amount. But I hate to say it, that CHF340 monthly price is a drain I could do without at the moment. I still haven't paid for the next month which begins on 13th April, in the hope they allow a premature cancellation.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
Both valuable contributions above totally true. All the transport authorities participate in the GA scheme, except some tourist mountain railways such as Jungfraujoch and Gornergrat. What would interest me is some sort of voucher or rebate for future use, given that we can't use it just now. In my case, I have the monthly GA (which is CHF340 a month) and I usually cancel it after 4 or 5 months, when we hit the summer, because I tend to go away during summer (because we don't work in the summer in the conservatoire). It's a bit dearer this way, but it gives me ultimate flexibility. Then, when work gets busy again, I buy another GA contract (which only allows cancellation after 4 months use, which is fair enough).

As for "earning it back", or amortizing it, I think that this is only the case if you use it as heavily as I do. Usually, I calculate all my trips based on the price of a normal price ticket with the half-fare card reduction, and it comes out to CHF800-1,100 use assuming all of the tickets had been bought as flexible half-fare tickets. Super saver tickets are another matter, but I really need flexibility in what I do as teaching and rehearsal schedules change a surprising amount. But I hate to say it, that CHF340 monthly price is a drain I could do without at the moment. I still haven't paid for the next month which begins on 13th April, in the hope they allow a premature cancellation.
They "advertise" that a 1-day saver pass has the same route validity as a GA; since they were/are allowing refunds on these they should allow refunds (pro rata) on GAs through at least April 30.
On most weekends a 1-day saver pass (with a 1/2 fare card) in first class (as well as 2nd class) is only 49 SFR.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I think that the problem might be the contract for a GA is completely different to a 1-day saver pass, which is actually a 'ticket", unlike the GA (although at CHF75 I find it much too expensive for a day ticket). I am hoping in the days to come the SBB will offer us something.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To keep this up to date, those of us with a GA travelcard have been offered the value of 15 days, which will be deposited on our Swisspass accounts. I think it's a reasonable offer in view of the situation and am happy with it. As I said elsewhere (Deutsche Bahn thread), I think the rail companies have handled this quite well. The refund process on the DB website works instantly, although you get a voucher rather than a refund, which is valid for 3 whole years. But the train companies will still be here after all this, no worries there.

For the Swiss SBB offer, here is the relevant page in English:

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...-pandemic.html
:D! likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No sign of the 15 days credit actually hitting my Swisspass account yet. Anyone had this rebate so far? I went to cancel my GA yesterday for the 12th June and counter staff said it would be added to my account later and I could use it for the purchase of a half fare card. The woman also said that I could rescind my cancellation of the GA up to 2 days before it finishes (10th June). I've never that possibility before, maybe it's new following Corona.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per sbb website 1-day saverpass sales resume June 7.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.