Need help with Bucharest, Romania

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with Bucharest, Romania

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Here's the pics I took from my trip:

http://www.asianrick.com/misc/bucharest/bucharest01.htm
http://www.asianrick.com/misc/bucharest/bucharest02.htm
http://www.asianrick.com/misc/bucharest/bucharest03.htm

Well I took more but this would do for now. Let me know how'd you like them.

And thanks to EVERYONE for their helpful tips and suggestions about Bucharest. I really appreciate it!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Hotel Recommendations

Anyone have any hotel recommendations for Bucharest?

Central City. Internet access. Inexpensive.

Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are there any alliance-affiliated carriers out of Baneasa airport? how far is it from the Hilton or Intercontinental airport? Can one still take the 10 euro shuttle bus?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are there any alliance-affiliated carriers out of Baneasa airport?
No. As of now Baneasa airport is used mainly for charters and LCCs.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
how far is it from the Hilton or Intercontinental airport? Can one still take the 10 euro shuttle bus?
Both Hilton and the InterContinental are in the very center of the city and the bus does go in that direction. The shuttle bus does stop by the IC hotel. As for the Hilton, it's not exactly on the way, but if you get off at Piata Romana you're a 5-7 minute walk away. (You should be able to just ask someone on the street and they'll point you in the rigth direction.)

If I were to pick between the two I'd probably go with IC because of the location, but then again it very much depends on what you want to do. (The Hilton is slightly closer to an area with a bunch of good bars/clubs. The IC is right at the subway station and it is closer to my favorite restaurant in Bucharest.)
Old Sep 26, 2007, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by rtarbuck
Anyone have any hotel recommendations for Bucharest?

Central City. Internet access. Inexpensive.
As far as hotels, central and inexpensive don't often go together. Do keep an eye out for specials - the Intercontinental offered me a 80 euro/night special about a month ago. Internet access is not free at any hotel that I know of, but it very much depends on how important it is to you.

If internet access is not essential, as in you don't need it for work and could get by with just going to an internet cafe when necessary, then I might recommend an apartment instead. There are lots of companies who rent out apartments in the very heart of Bucharest. They rent them out kind of like hotel rooms - you pay maybe around 60 euros/night and they have studios, 1 or 2 bedrooms. They are very well located and have decent amenitites (AC, TV with cable, etc.) It's often times cheaper than a hotel. If you're there for one night (or even two), it may not make sense; but it's something to consider if you plan to be there for longer.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:55 am

Bucharest visit 24 Oct - 28 Oct.

I will be doing a solo visit to Bucharest (4th visit) and staying once
more at the Marriott Bucharest Grand. Any other Americans in town?
It appears that I will have an extra ticket to the National Opera
House for each of Fri and Sat. night. Have been there before. Quite
interesting and good performance. Fri is Il Trovatore.

Might be able to offer some other advice for other visitors.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by prof539
Any other Americans in town?
Welcome to FT!

As you're new you may not realise this... but Flyertalk is a very international forum with members all over the world. Do you specifically NOT want to meet FTers from the rest of the world, or was this just a slip of the keyboard? (We're all very friendly - I think! - and I'm sure if there are any FTers in Bucharest, American or not, they would love to meet with you!)
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:24 am
Community Director Emerita

About all this thread suggests in terms of sightseeing in Bucharest is:
  • Peasant Museum
  • Village Museum
  • Arc de Triomph
  • People's Palace

Are there other sights worth seeing?

Any recommendations for good restaurants near the Hilton?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:55 am

Let me start by saying that Bucharest is not a very touristy city; there aren't that many monuments or touristy things to see. There are some nice areas you can walk through and the rest is butt ugly.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
About all this thread suggests in terms of sightseeing in Bucharest is:
  • Peasant Museum
  • Village Museum
  • Arc de Triomph
  • People's Palace

Are there other sights worth seeing?
I'd put People's Palace first on that list. Something else to add is the Atheneum: it's a nice old building with a cool dome and a very nice garden outside. (It's literally across the street from the Hilton).

There are some parks and such, but they're not impressive. It can be relaxing on a nice summer day and you can stop and have a beer. Cismigiu is nice and also very close to the Hilton.
Any recommendations for good restaurants near the Hilton?
Restaurants can be tricky. It depends on how much you are willing to walk. There is an Italian one called Tratoria Il Calcio which is decent (cash only though - VERY annoying!). It's on Medeleev St - a 2 minute walk. My favorite restaurant in Bucharest is Golden Falcon, an excellent Turkish restaurant on 16 Hristo Botev St. Maybe a 15 minute walk from the Hilton. You also have Siam (Thai food) on Mihai Eminescu St - about 10-15 minutes walk from the Hilton. If you walk another 5 minutes on the same street there's a VERY good Italian restaurant called Tratoria di Roma, which is also surprisingly cheap.

What kind of food do you like? What do you appreciate most in a restaurant (food, service, atmosphere, price,...)? If you're willing to go further (maybe take a cab) I can probably recommend a few more.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:52 am

That's great information on the Turkish restaurant. I love Turkish food. We are happy to take a taxi though even with a taxi would prefer restaurants within 15 minutes or so of the hotel. We've come from Italy, so aren't particularly interested in Italian - nor are we interested in really heavy cuisines. Food quality is of most importance to us. We'll eat in a dive if it has good food. I also love eating outside, and the weather is perfect for it.

What do you think about Balthazar? Every single article I have on Bucharest recommends it. Justifiably so?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:25 am

That's great information on the Turkish restaurant. I love Turkish food. We are happy to take a taxi though even with a taxi would prefer restaurants within 15 minutes or so of the hotel. We've come from Italy, so aren't particularly interested in Italian - nor are we interested in really heavy cuisines. Food quality is of most importance to us. We'll eat in a dive if it has good food. I also love eating outside, and the weather is perfect for it.

What do you think about Balthazar? Every single article I have on Bucharest recommends it. Justifiably so?
I HATE Balthazar!!! It's an expensive upscale fusion place that just can't get it right, in many respects. The service is sub-par and the food sounds good when you read the menu but it really isn't when you taste it. I would avoid that at all costs. Try Arcade instead - a lovely restaurant with a nice terrace. A bit pricey (although cheaper than Balthazar), but excellent food and pleasant atmosphere.

If you like Turkish food you might also like :
- El Greco (good Greek food)
- El Bacha (Lebanese); I've only been to the one inside the JW Marriott but this guy I work with told me he went to another one in Herastrau Park, which I assume also has outside seating

You can also try the Serb's Tavern (Serbian food, of course). I found the food there to be good and you can sit outside.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:32 am

Those are GREAT suggestions and will more than fill our dance card.

We've had a very full day today, out and about. The only downside of seeing Bucharest is how painfully difficult it is to get a taxi. I'm shocked at the lack of taxi stands. We spent half an hour before we found an available taxi coming back from the Village Museum.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:40 am

The only downside of seeing Bucharest is how painfully difficult it is to get a taxi. I'm shocked at the lack of taxi stands.
That's because everyone calls for cabs. It's much more convenient for locals. You can also holler a taxi if you're on a busy street. Calling is key tho. If you're at a restaurant or a hotel, ask them to call a cab for you and they'll gladly do it.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:06 am

accomodation + car rental

Hi. I stayed 2 days in Bucharest in Lev Or hotel http://www.hotellevor.com/ , verry nice, comparing to the price i payed . I rented a car in Bucharest from Carbiz ( http://carbiz.ro/rent-a-car_en/ ). A friend from Romania recomand them to me. What is verry nice there is that they have every car listed with pictures and the year of registration. You can pick the car from pictures . It's very nice. I had the black Honda Accord 2007 . Also if you want GPS you can try to ask the local companies, they should have one with the Romanian map. By the way, the roads there are not so good. Try to go in Moldavia county, it's beatufull... Good luck.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:30 am

Hello, this topic is dead? I want to go to Bucharest and I need some help. I booked a trip and I will go in Octomber to Romania.

Any special advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.