Reload this Page >

Need help with Bucharest, Romania

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with Bucharest, Romania

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:23 am

I've booked Blue Air to/from Cologne. We'll see how it goes. Because I delayed my purchase a bit, I lost out on the 1 Euro rate for the return portion of the trip, so for the two tickets I am now paying 60E more than I would have if I had been quick. So if you see cheap tickets, it's a good idea to buy them.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by WillTravel
This saga is not over. Apparently SkyEurope has cancelled their Bucharest to Budapest flights for now.

However, Wizz Air is stepping into the breach:
http://news.cheapflights.co.uk/fligh...ir_offers.html

Thanks again for this info!
Still no word from SkyEurope, but its clear that these flights are cancelled.

We are now Wizz-ing it over for 3 days in Rome in March, price about $65/person RT (free tickets )- all taxes, and their ridiculous 7Euro Credit Card fee
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:06 pm

Rankourabu, I guess you will get back your money from SkyEurope one way or another, via your credit card issuer if nothing else.

I could kick myself. Blue Air had the flights I wanted for Cologne, and Germanwings did not. However, as of today (I am pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday), Germanwings increased their Bucharest to Cologne flights, and they had one that would have worked perfectly for much cheaper. I could then have taken Wizz Air from Dortmund on the way back.

So - heads up to everyone to keep checking, checking, checking in this volatile low fares market.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called SkyEurope in Poland today (no ridiculous call centre fees, just used a long distance card for about 3c/min).

SkyEurope does not issue refunds to credit cards SO BEWARE! They can only deposit refunds into bank accounts or the second option which is far more appealing to me is that they can rebook the cancelled flight on ANY other SkyEurope systemwide flight even if the flight costs more on any date
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was able to change my defunct SkyEurope bookings to other flights for the summer during my second BUH run.

Worked out quite well since I paid E11.50 per person for the original one way flights all in, they changed it to an expensive DUB-KRK ticket without hassle . You could even change the names on the reservation. New email confirmations arrived within minutes

Great customer service from this airline
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
OK .. i'm getting ready to fly on to Romania .. three more weeks.

Anyone have used the public transportation into the city? Can you tell me where do I go from the the OTP terminal to catch my train? Do I have to take a bus first and then train or there's a train station near the airport?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk

Anyone have used the public transportation into the city? Can you tell me where do I go from the the OTP terminal to catch my train? Do I have to take a bus first and then train or there's a train station near the airport?
Hope this helps:

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/romania.html#OTP
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: AS, UA, DL
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk

I would recommend just taking a taxi from OTP to Gara de Nord (the main train station, should cost 30-35 RON). I don't know what time you are getting in but the bus does not go directly to the train station, you would have to transfer onto the metro and this will waste a huge amount of time.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, Miles and More
Originally Posted by retien
I would recommend just taking a taxi from OTP to Gara de Nord (the main train station, should cost 30-35 RON). I don't know what time you are getting in but the bus does not go directly to the train station, you would have to transfer onto the metro and this will waste a huge amount of time.
Yes, but just make sure it is a lisenced taxi. There are a lot of unlisenced taxis floating around Bucharest and the fare quoted may not be the fare demanded upon arrival. Keep in mind that there are two airports quite near each other on national route 1. Tell your driver that you want to go to OTOPENI (International Departures) vice the municipal or domestic airport.

cheers, MWAC
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:53 pm

Any thoughts about the K & K Elisabeta at Str. Slănic 26, 030242? I have a rate of 90 Euros per night including breakfast, through hrs.de .
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
I was there in 2003 and it was a bit wild. I'd imagine it's tamer now it's in the EU.

My tips are here: http://www.netleyabbeytartanarmy.net/trav_rom.htm
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:43 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I called SkyEurope in Poland today (no ridiculous call centre fees, just used a long distance card for about 3c/min).

SkyEurope does not issue refunds to credit cards SO BEWARE! They can only deposit refunds into bank accounts or the second option which is far more appealing to me is that they can rebook the cancelled flight on ANY other SkyEurope systemwide flight even if the flight costs more on any date
A fellow FlyerTalk member and I were booked on a SkyEurope flight for March that was cancelled. Called the international call centre (+421 2 4850 4850) and we were able to get a refund back to the original credit card. Just got the refund back late last week. Now we're on Wizz Air BUD-BBU.

On a different note. Anyone have suggestions for when to arrive at OTP for an early morning international flight departure? We're on the 6:10am departure to AMS. We'll be staying at hotel near the airport, but I'd like as much sleep as possible.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pilottim747
On a different note. Anyone have suggestions for when to arrive at OTP for an early morning international flight departure? We're on the 6:10am departure to AMS. We'll be staying at hotel near the airport, but I'd like as much sleep as possible.
You should be fine by being at the airport 1 1/2 hours prior to departure. I was on the same flight as well. Many international flights leave about the same time so beware of long lines at security, approx 20 mts wait, right after passport control.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Originally Posted by retien
Thanks for the info. I decided to have the hostel picked me up. After reading the nightmares with the taxi drivers, there's no way I'm going to take a chance.

As for the bus, I did use the bus to get to downtown from the hostel. Based on how crowded it was, I can't imagine myself AND my luggage in it.

Last edited by aSiAnRiCk; Mar 5, 2007 at 11:55 am
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
I was there in 2003 and it was a bit wild. I'd imagine it's tamer now it's in the EU.

My tips are here: http://www.netleyabbeytartanarmy.net/trav_rom.htm
Very informative and helpful tips for Romania ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.