Last edit by: ISTFlyer
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Sleeping pods are now available at Istanbul Airport as a cheaper alternative compared to YOTEL.
The hourly rate for them is 9 Euros and 2 Euros would be charged for a blanket, pillow, and pillowcase upon request.

The pods are located at the entrance of D concourse.

Istanbul Airport Website: https://www.istairport.com/en/announ...at-the-airport
Habertürk Video News Article ( Only in Turkish ): https://www.haberturk.com/video/canl...-kabini/668814
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Worcester
How close do those devices have to be as I have a house in Zekerikoy which is 23 km. To far?
https://www.flightradar24.com/apply-for-receiver
Old May 17, 2020, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
These are the precautions that Istanbul Airport would take post-COVID.

The Airport with Social Distance

• Passengers are obliged to wear a mask inside the terminal and aboard. Passengers not wearing a mask are denied both boarding and access to the terminal.
  • Non-passengers are denied access to the terminal buildings, except for cases whose accompaniment is essential.
  • All passengers at the airport are screened by thermal cameras and / or body temperature measurements.
  • Passengers who will come to the airport are required to disclose their address of stay within the borders of Turkey to their airline company before flight.
  • Foreign passengers intending to come to the airport are required to have a private health insurance.
  • Foreign passengers testing positive for Covid-19 on flights landing at Istanbul Airport will be referred to a private hospital by the Ministry of Health – Border Health Services Unit, whereas Turkish passengers will be referred to a state hospital.
  • Passengers are required to maintain their “Social Distance” at all times during travel.
  • Hand sanitizers have been set up at locations where arriving and departing passengers can sanitize their hands prior and after contact.
  • The frequency of cleaning and regular sterilization activities has been increased across the airport, with even more frequent sterilization at points of high passenger contact.
  • Arriving and departing passengers are instructed to walk over a “special sanitizer mat”for disinfection during terminal entrance / exit.
  • Seating areas are disinfected at frequent intervals.
  • Seating areas have been rearranged according to rules of social distancing.
  • The floors of passenger buses operated by ground handling services to transport the passengers from their airplane to the terminal and vice versa are provided with “social distancing” tapes.
  • Passenger buses operated by ground handling services are disinfected after each flight.
  • Food courts and lounges are put at the service of passengers in accordance with social distancing rules.
https://www.istairport.com/en/announcements/covid-19

By the way, the carpark at IST would still be free of charge until further notice.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:10 pm

Entering Domestic Terminal on International Flight?

I will be departing Istanbul In July on an international flight, and I have a friend who will be departing on a domestic flight at the same time that day.

Is there any place we can meet up at IST airside? Can international passengers access the domestic departures area or vice versa? Or it there no way for us to meet up airside?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woodsbw
I will be departing Istanbul In July on an international flight, and I have a friend who will be departing on a domestic flight at the same time that day.

Is there any place we can meet up at IST airside? Can international passengers access the domestic departures area or vice versa? Or it there no way for us to meet up airside?
Hi woodsbw and welcome to FlyerTalk.

Unfortunately, international passengers are not allowed to the domestic departures area and domestic passengers are not allowed to the international departures area.

You could meet landside, which means that you would need to clear Turkish immigration if you're an international transfer passenger. There are some cafés available at the departures and arrivals level at landside.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Hi woodsbw and welcome to FlyerTalk.

Unfortunately, international passengers are not allowed to the domestic departures area and domestic passengers are not allowed to the international departures area.

You could meet landside, which means that you would need to clear Turkish immigration if you're an international transfer passenger. There are some cafés available at the departures and arrivals level at landside.
Thanks for the quick answer! We will probably end up doing that, was just nervous about going land-side without knowing how long security, etc. will take to get back in during COVID.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woodsbw
Thanks for the quick answer! We will probably end up doing that, was just nervous about going land-side without knowing how long security, etc. will take to get back in during COVID.
As IST being my home airport, I have never waited for more than 2 minutes for security control both for domestic and international flights. Same for passport control for international flights.
My last experience in IST at the domestic departures security on 1 June 2020, was no wait.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Added note to everyone, the IST third runway is opening this afternoon, with which they claim that capacity will increase 50% (although that is only looking at it one way, as one could also say that while it is a 50% increase overall, it is only a 33 and a third increase in capacity), mope importantly supposedly it will lead to taxi times being halved, another claim I do not understand as they seem to imply that it applies to all taxiing. I also find it cute that they are throwing around terms such as now there will be 5 runways, 3 of which are active, which while technically true, means still that there are only 3 runways that are regularly usable and it will be a decade (at least) until we see all the planned runways...... The positive thing about Covid being that they could throw everything at getting runway 3 done.........
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone here tried getting a coronavirus test at IST airport? I am flying to Croatia from Istanbul in August and they require a negative covid test within 48 hours of entry. Is it true that anyone can come to the IST airport and get tested for a small fee? It says online that results take a few hours, is this really the case, or should I come 2 days before to make sure I get the results in time?

Or is there a better/faster place to get tested in Istanbul other than the airport?

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeer0
Has anyone here tried getting a coronavirus test at IST airport? I am flying to Croatia from Istanbul in August and they require a negative covid test within 48 hours of entry. Is it true that anyone can come to the IST airport and get tested for a small fee? It says online that results take a few hours, is this really the case, or should I come 2 days before to make sure I get the results in time?

Or is there a better/faster place to get tested in Istanbul other than the airport?

Thanks.
I didn't try getting a test but from the news articles, I know that the results of the COVID test that you take in IST are e-mailed to you both in English and Turkish within 2 hours. I am not sure if everyone could get tested but if you have your onward boarding pass to Croatia in hand, you would be able to get tested for ₺110 ( app. $16 )

For your last question, in Turkey, other than airports, you could not perform a COVID-19 test for a fee unless you pay something much higher to a private hospital. In Turkey, public ( government-owned ) hospitals are only performing COVID tests to people who have symptoms.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Just be careful if it's an RT-PCR test or antibody test. You'll need RT-PCR for Croatia... 16$ sounds awfully cheap for an RT-PCR test.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
As far as I understand it is a PCR Test. I am planning to take it soon.
However I think the test center is landside, so you would have to immigrate first. Bit difficult if you are on a short transit...
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The thing is... if the OP is transiting in IST, they might not let him board the first segment without providing the test, as if for any reason they don't make it (or scores positive) they'll be denied entry into Croatia. If it were I, I'd do the test at my point of departure.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hdogan
The thing is... if the OP is transiting in IST, they might not let him board the first segment without providing the test, as if for any reason they don't make it (or scores positive) they'll be denied entry into Croatia. If it were I, I'd do the test at my point of departure.
I will actually be spending a week in Turkey before, so that should not be an issue.

Would it be wise to go to Istanbul airport 1 day before my flight to Zagreb to do the test so that I am sure I get my result before I arrive in Croatia?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
As far as I understand it is a PCR Test. I am planning to take it soon.
However I think the test center is landside, so you would have to immigrate first. Bit difficult if you are on a short transit...
Please send an update of how your testing experience goes, thanks
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.