FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:01 am

Landside or airside Yotel?

We’ll be visiting Turkey and Dubrovnik this summer on TK. The night before heading out to DBV from IST, we’ll be flying into IST from one of the airports in Cappadocia. Because we plan on taking a late flight to IST and our morning flight to DBV is very early, we plan on not leaving the airport that night and just staying at the Yotel.

My question is, can we still stay at the airside Yotel even though the flight we’re taking to IST is a domestic flight and the flight next morning at 7 to DBV is an international flight? We prefer this as we don’t want to deal with the security check and all that in the morning.

Also, can we use the TK lounge the evening before our DBV flight instead of the morning of?

Just for clarification, only our international flights are in J. The domestic flight would just be economy but also with TK.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:05 am

Landside or airside Yotel?

We’ll be visiting Turkey and Dubrovnik this summer on TK. The night before heading out to DBV from IST, we’ll be flying into IST from one of the airports in Cappadocia. Because we plan on taking a late flight to IST and our morning flight to DBV is very early, we plan on not leaving the airport that night and just staying at the Yotel.

My question is, can we still stay at the airside Yotel even though the flight we’re taking to IST is a domestic flight and the flight next morning at 7 to DBV is an international flight? We prefer this as we don’t want to deal with the security check and all that in the morning.

Also, can we use the TK lounge the evening before our DBV flight instead of the morning of?

Just for clarification, only our international flights are in J. The domestic flight would just be economy but also with TK.

Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CaliTravelbug

Assuming that your connection is under 24 hours, yes, you could use the YOTEL airside as TK would be able to issue your IST-DBV boarding passes at BJV and through check baggages.
You could use the the TK Lounge's at IST anytime starting from 24 hours before departure till your departure and you could entry/exit the lounge multiple times.

Although, the price difference between the airside and landside YOTEL could be too much and I am not sure if that amount is worth paying for to avoid security and passport control in the morning since you would have fast-track because you're flying Business Class.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Assuming that your connection is under 24 hours, yes, you could use the YOTEL airside as TK would be able to issue your IST-DBV boarding passes at BJV and through check baggages.
You could use the the TK Lounge's at IST anytime starting from 24 hours before departure till your departure and you could entry/exit the lounge multiple times.

Although, the price difference between the airside and landside YOTEL could be too much and I am not sure if that amount is worth paying for to avoid security and passport control in the morning since you would have fast-track because you're flying Business Class.

Thank you for this information. When our domestic flight arrives in IST, will we be airside already and can walk over to the international departures while remaining airside? Or are the domestic and international terminals completely separate and we have to go through security again to enter international airside?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thank you for this information. When our domestic flight arrives in IST, will we be airside already and can walk over to the international departures while remaining airside? Or are the domestic and international terminals completely separate and we have to go through security again to enter international airside?
You could use the dedicated domestic -> international transfer security and passport control checkpoints during your transfer. Unfortunately, domestic -> international transfers require a security check in addition to passport control that is mandatory when you exit the country.

Both the domestic and international sections are under the same building and same terminal ( and there is one terminal at IST ).
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You could use the dedicated domestic -> international transfer security and passport control checkpoints during your transfer. Unfortunately, domestic -> international transfers require a security check in addition to passport control that is mandatory when you exit the country.

Both the domestic and international sections are under the same building and same terminal ( and there is one terminal at IST ).

Thanks so much. I’ve read through so many of your replies to all sorts of questions in this thread and others and they’ve been so helpful in planning this trip. You should feel great about yourself for helping so many of us.
ISTFlyer and fbrdky like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I’ve read through so many of your replies to all sorts of questions in this thread and others and they’ve been so helpful in planning this trip. You should feel great about yourself for helping so many of us.
I'm glad that I was able to help you
You're very welcome.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:01 am

I have an ANA RTW trip planned in July and now have an awkward long layover in IST due to some schedule changes by TK. We are arriving on a Sunday at 06:00 and our flight to BKK departs at 01:45 the next morning (Monday). We won't have to collect our luggage as it's <24 hrs so it is considered a transit, not a stopover. I have the PH booked on points -- that feels a little silly but seeing as its taking us 32 hours from origin to destination, I can't imagine we won't want to lay down at some point, even if its just for a few hours. My question is with a flight at 01:45, when should we plan on leaving our hotel to ensure we have enough time at the airport? I've read in this thread and others about traffic (presumably not a huge issue late in the evening on a Sunday but I guess you never know) and potentially a lack of taxis? Any information (or guidance to another thread) would be great, I haven't seen many threads here discussing things to see on a long layover either. Thank you!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by rariya
I have an ANA RTW trip planned in July and now have an awkward long layover in IST due to some schedule changes by TK. We are arriving on a Sunday at 06:00 and our flight to BKK departs at 01:45 the next morning (Monday). We won't have to collect our luggage as it's <24 hrs so it is considered a transit, not a stopover. I have the PH booked on points -- that feels a little silly but seeing as its taking us 32 hours from origin to destination, I can't imagine we won't want to lay down at some point, even if its just for a few hours. My question is with a flight at 01:45, when should we plan on leaving our hotel to ensure we have enough time at the airport? I've read in this thread and others about traffic (presumably not a huge issue late in the evening on a Sunday but I guess you never know) and potentially a lack of taxis? Any information (or guidance to another thread) would be great, I haven't seen many threads here discussing things to see on a long layover either. Thank you!
I just finished a trip to IST. I left from Karakoy around 6 PM on a Sunday night and had no problems with traffic. If I were you, I would be comfortable fetching a taxi (or Uber?) at 10 or 11 PM. TK's J lounge is open 24 hour but there's not much food between 11 PM and 8 AM. Enjoy your visit! Don't forget to apply for your eVisa before you arrive.
P.S. - Since you're checking in to the Park Hyatt at 7 AM and checking out at 10 PM. Is that a two night (Saturday night and Sunday night) booking?

Last edited by fbrdky; Apr 1, 2022 at 5:31 pm Reason: add P.S.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by fbrdky
I just finished a trip to IST. I left from Karakoy around 6 PM on a Sunday night and had no problems with traffic. If I were you, I would be comfortable fetching a taxi (or Uber?) at 10 or 11 PM. TK's J lounge is open 24 hour but there's not much food between 11 PM and 8 AM. Enjoy your visit! Don't forget to apply for your eVisa before you arrive.
P.S. - Since you're checking in to the Park Hyatt at 7 AM and checking out at 10 PM. Is that a two night (Saturday night and Sunday night) booking?
Thank you! I've read so much about taxi's being scams, is the bus the safest way to get around before calling a taxi back at the hotel?

We would not check into the Park Hyatt until normal check-in time at 3pm (or maybe noon if we get lucky) so it would just be one night. I did see that they reopened the free hotels via Turkish so I may look into that instead as they provide transportation. Honestly I just wish they would resume Touristanbul because that seems like the best way to see some sights without having to worry about logistics at all. Has there been any information about whether they are considering starting that back up soon?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:37 am

This June I'll be transferring in the new IST, a first for me as I haven't been in town since the days of old Atatürk. As the connection time is pretty long and I've become a softie, are there any pay-for-access lounges, or - even better - can you pay to access the THY lounge(s)?

And, last question, what's the attitude on masks on TK and in IST in general? Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Thank you! I've read so much about taxi's being scams, is the bus the safest way to get around before calling a taxi back at the hotel?
I took the tram from Karakoy to Hagia Sophia. If you can figure out the ticketing machine (even after you change it to English), it's not a bad way to get around. It might get crowded for sure but you'll get the full "local experience."

We would not check into the Park Hyatt until normal check-in time at 3pm (or maybe noon if we get lucky) so it would just be one night. I did see that they reopened the free hotels via Turkish so I may look into that instead as they provide transportation. Honestly I just wish they would resume Touristanbul because that seems like the best way to see some sights without having to worry about logistics at all. Has there been any information about whether they are considering starting that back up soon?
There's an email address on TK's site re Touristanbul if you want to check if it's back.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:52 am

Hello,

I have a 6 hours domestic to international connection at Istanbul. It’s too short to head into the city itself but if anyone has any recommendation on any nearby town to do a short shopping and restaurant? Landing at 10am and flying off at 4.30pm. Probably any town within 20 mins ride. Will be good for a Turkish meal, ice cream and a market for me to get some pistachios and nuts.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
A week from this Sunday, I have a 1:20 pm flight from IST to ATH. Once at ATH, I have about 12 hours before flying back to the USA via AMS
The image below is a source I picked up some months ago which says show up 6 hours before flight at IST for a test that takes 5 hours.
Do they not have rapid tests that one can prepay and be processed much more quickly?

Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xeno
A week from this Sunday, I have a 1:20 pm flight from IST to ATH. Once at ATH, I have about 12 hours before flying back to the USA via AMS
The image below is a source I picked up some months ago which says show up 6 hours before flight at IST for a test that takes 5 hours.
Do they not have rapid tests that one can prepay and be processed much more quickly?

That site is not up to date.
PCR turnaround times are up to 90 minutes and rapid antigen tests are also offered with 15-20 minute turnaround times at Istanbul Airport.
Xeno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.