Last edit by: ISTFlyer
The confirmed movement day is: 5-6 April 2019
Print Wikipost

Istanbul 'New' Airport ( IST/ISL ) - Master Thread ✈️

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zeer0
I will actually be spending a week in Turkey before, so that should not be an issue.

Would it be wise to go to Istanbul airport 1 day before my flight to Zagreb to do the test so that I am sure I get my result before I arrive in Croatia?
That would probably be advisable. Also, maybe worth checking if there are other test centres in the city, so you don't have to make the trip to the airport and back just for that?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I will actually be spending a week in Turkey before, so that should not be an issue.

Would it be wise to go to Istanbul airport 1 day before my flight to Zagreb to do the test so that I am sure I get my result before I arrive in Croatia?
A warning that you would need a same-day flight ticket to enter the terminal so going to the airport the previous day would not work as you would not be allowed to enter the terminal. Instead, it would be better to arrive at IST, 4 or 5 hours before the flight if you want to get tested at the airport.

Otherwise, you could take a PCR test in one of the private hospitals in Istanbul, however, it would not be cheap as the airport testing center.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
A warning that you would need a same-day flight ticket to enter the terminal so going to the airport the previous day would not work as you would not be allowed to enter the terminal. Instead, it would be better to arrive at IST, 4 or 5 hours before the flight if you want to get tested at the airport.

Otherwise, you could take a PCR test in one of the private hospitals in Istanbul, however, it would not be cheap as the airport testing center.
What about booking a cheap domestic flight for $20 and using that to get in? I feel like it's too risky to go 4-5 hours before, and my flight is in the morning, so I would have to arrive at the airport in the middle of the night then.

Is the test center landside before security?
I could just get the test then and leave.

Last edited by zeer0; Jul 23, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hdogan
That would probably be advisable. Also, maybe worth checking if there are other test centres in the city, so you don't have to make the trip to the airport and back just for that?
I tried searching for other test centers in Istanbul, but I could not get any results in English. I suspect all of the info can only be searched in Turkish. I did also call the US Embassy in Istanbul, and they said there are other test centers but didn't give me any specific places.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
What about booking a cheap domestic flight for $20 and using that to get in? I feel like it's too risky to go 4-5 hours before, and my flight is in the morning, so I would have to arrive at the airport in the middle of the night then.

Is the test center landside before security?
I could just get the test then and leave.
Yes, it's near the lanside YOTEL and purchasing a cheap domestic ticket would work to enter the terminal.
However, you might need an international boarding pass to conduct a test as the test facility is only for international departing and arriving passengers. I am not sure about this.

Worst case scenario, I've heard that the Memorial Hospital Group is doing tests ( both PCR and antibody ) for people without symptoms for ₺350 ( about $50 ). No appointments are necessary, you would need to show up at the hospital and pay.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:02 am

Worst case scenario, I've heard that the Memorial Hospital Group is doing tests ( both PCR and antibody ) for people without symptoms for ₺350 ( about $50 ). No appointments are necessary, you would need to show up at the hospital and pay.
Thank you so much for that suggestion, I would have never found it otherwise. I just called them and they said results take around 24 hours, so I will go in the morning two days before my flight. I'm staying in Sisli, so the location is super convenient.
hdogan likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:17 am

Hi, I'm scheduled to fly from Russia to SFO via IST.

Have a 7 hour stop in IST with 2 kids.

1. Is the Turkish lounge working at the moment?
2. Is there a kids playing area somewhere in the terminal?
3. Any place that would be good for prolonged relaxing while we wait for our flight?

Yota hotel doesn't seem viable for a family. Thanks a lot
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by ChikkyMonkey
Hi, I'm scheduled to fly from Russia to SFO via IST.

Have a 7 hour stop in IST with 2 kids.

1. Is the Turkish lounge working at the moment?
2. Is there a kids playing area somewhere in the terminal?
3. Any place that would be good for prolonged relaxing while we wait for our flight?

Yota hotel doesn't seem viable for a family. Thanks a lot
The Turkish lounge isn’t, but the IGA Lounge is. It has a kids play area...but no idea if it is open currently.

The Yotel isn’t bad, depending on the age of your kids. We got a room there (for a family of four) just to have some space to ourselves on a longer layover. We still have one young enough to need naps, and it was a great setup for that.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by woodsbw
The Turkish lounge isn’t, but the IGA Lounge is. It has a kids play area...but no idea if it is open currently.

The Yotel isn’t bad, depending on the age of your kids. We got a room there (for a family of four) just to have some space to ourselves on a longer layover. We still have one young enough to need naps, and it was a great setup for that.
TK Miles & Smiles Lounge is open as well.

Small play area for kids is also available there.

Last Saturday the lounge was very empty.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Miles&Smiles Lounge reopened on 10 July 2020.
The iGA Lounge is open but the kids area is closed. You could see my trip report including my visit to the iGA Lounge in the Trip Reports board here in FlyerTalk for more details about the iGA Lounge.

You could try the sleepods if the YOTEL seems expensive, however, unless you are willing to enter Turkey, you only have the options of wandering at the duty free area, visiting one of the lounges, staying in the YOTEL or using the sleepods. Maybe the free rest areas are open but I am not sure.

Also if you're flying Business Class or if you're M&S Elite Plus, you would be eligible for a sleeping room at the TK lounge.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by woodsbw

thanks everyone.

the M&S lounge is the famous glahship lounge? if that’s the case I may try to status match my skyteam elite plus

Are you referring to the airside yotel which has family rooms?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:42 pm

Does anyone know how late in the evening they are offering the COVID testing? I contacted the airport, but they said that it was ran by an outside agency and does not have fixed hours. I am looking at a flight arriving at 18:30, with an early morning connection to Croatia (from the USA). I would prefer to save $200 and not need to worry about exceeding the 48 hour window by testing in IST, instead of LAX.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:56 pm

Hi ISTFLYER,

I will be transiting IST twice in December.

1) I will landing on an international flight and then connecting to a domestic flight on the same ticket with Turkish Airlines. When connecting, will I need to collect my checked baggage, go through customs and then have to recheck it on to the domestic flight? Or is it sent straight through?
2) A week later, I then fly back into IST on a Wed from my domestic trip and have a departing flight the next day to South Africa which needs a PCR test result certificate hard copy. (72 hours before departure). When landing from my domestic flight on the Wed, I was planning on taking the PCR test and then picking up the test certificate the next day prior to check-in. I will be able to show the testing center my itinerary for the next day, but won’t have a Boarding pass yet for the SA flight. Looks like test result tends to take 4 hours from start to finish, but I wanted to be safe and take it the day before on arrival from the domestic flight. Do you foresee any issues with that plan? Or are you sure one needs a boarding pass? The airline will not give me. Boarding pass for the SA flight without me showing the COVID test certificate.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLONDIEandDAGWOOD
Hi ISTFLYER,

I will be transiting IST twice in December.

1) I will landing on an international flight and then connecting to a domestic flight on the same ticket with Turkish Airlines. When connecting, will I need to collect my checked baggage, go through customs and then have to recheck it on to the domestic flight? Or is it sent straight through?
2) A week later, I then fly back into IST on a Wed from my domestic trip and have a departing flight the next day to South Africa which needs a PCR test result certificate hard copy. (72 hours before departure). When landing from my domestic flight on the Wed, I was planning on taking the PCR test and then picking up the test certificate the next day prior to check-in. I will be able to show the testing center my itinerary for the next day, but won’t have a Boarding pass yet for the SA flight. Looks like test result tends to take 4 hours from start to finish, but I wanted to be safe and take it the day before on arrival from the domestic flight. Do you foresee any issues with that plan? Or are you sure one needs a boarding pass? The airline will not give me. Boarding pass for the SA flight without me showing the COVID test certificate.
1- Most likely it would go through. Although for some domestic destinations, you would need to collect them at IST as your final destinations may not have customs facilities. It would be really useful if you type in your final destination so I could give a precise answer.

2 - Until today, I did not take a COVID test at IST Airport so I am not super familiar with the process. However, if you have a printed ticket of your trip to South Africa, you should be fine. The general requirements for COVID tests in Turkey state "evidence for travel to a foreign country" so the document that you would present to the COVID test desk doesn't need to exactly be a boarding pass.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:25 pm

1- Most likely it would go through. Although for some domestic destinations, you would need to collect them at IST as your final destinations may not have customs facilities. It would be really useful if you type in your final destination so I could give a precise answer.

2 - Until today, I did not take a COVID test at IST Airport so I am not super familiar with the process. However, if you have a printed ticket of your trip to South Africa, you should be fine. The general requirements for COVID tests in Turkey state "evidence for travel to a foreign country" so the document that you would present to the COVID test desk doesn't need to exactly be a boarding pass.

thank you Sir, my final destination is Antalya. I know that airport also has a Covid testing center, so I will plan to take the test prior to my departure from there (will be within 72 hours) - with IST being the back-up plan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.